Warrior's Society

Fractured Humerus....not really that funny.

Well........a year ago i got back on my bike after breaking my leg on New Years.

Been riding like crazy since then......making up for lost time.

Feel like I am faster and stronger than I have ever been. The leg healed with no issues.

Weds. afternoon, decided a ride to Old Camp sounded like a good idea. Hopped on the SS and off I went. Felt Pretty good considering the heat and dry air.

Riding with a buddy we saw no one past the Luge. Was nice to have the trail to ourselves.

Made it up to the clearing and still had plenty of time to make it down before we lost sunlight.

The ride down from the top was fast and fun....just like it always is.

Got down to the rocky section just past where the 2 little jumps are.....felt the front tire start to wash out.....tried to save it but it was too late.

Trail....bushes....sky....bushes....trail.....sky. ...trail....bushes......rag dolled down the trail pretty good. Ended up in front of my bike. Riding buddy came down and was surprised to see me laying there.

Took a minute or two to shake the cobwebs out. Could already feel the large amount of road rash. He picked my bike up and noticed the front tire was flat.....could that have been the cause....?????

Anyway, my shoulder took the brunt of the impact, as indicated by the 2 large areas of road rash.
    knew it was not my colarbone....done that before and know what feels like. Buddy changes my flat while i try to walk it off. having some difficulty lifting my arm up.

Hopped back on the bike and headed towards the Luge. Actually didnt feel bad on the way down.....just could not pull up on the bars....which sucks on the SS.

Made it back to Cook's......headed home.

Didn't realized how much road rash I had til i got home.......knee to shin.....elbow to shoulder....shoulder blade.

Went to work on Thursday thinking I had just jammed it pretty good. Friday at work, it wasn't any better.....talked to a few people, they all said it sounds like i sperated it.

Decided to call the Ortho who fixed my leg......he's usually pretty busy, and getting an appointment is sometimes a long wait. Fortunately, they had a cancelation yesterday, so I took it.

Went in hoping for the best. Could have been worse.....could have been better.

Turns out I broke my shoulder. Fractured the humerus(no not very funny) where the rotator cuff attaches. Good news is that the fracture is not displaced.....but my arm has been immobilized to keep the rotator cuff from pulling it loose. Ortho says as long as it stays in place after 2 weeks, then it likely will not be going anywhere.

So now I am down again....looking at 6-8 weeks to heal then 2-4 weeks of PT to regain strength.

Looks like the bike on the trainer for the remainder of the summer.

Last edited by mtnbikej; 08-23-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Warrior's Society
    Going in for surgery tomorrow......bone moved a bit too far.....left alone, the bone may or may not heal correctly. Reapiring will make it heal correctly. At least that is the hope.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    if you get a chance, try to get a 2nd opinion. i had a fractured radius (the radial head), and first two ortho's wanted to operate. third guy was a bit older, more experienced, and felt that the bone would heal on its own (the pieces were displaced 1-2mm), and recommended careful PT. the bone ended up healing fine, and its been a year now.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    if you get a chance, try to get a 2nd opinion. i had a fractured radius (the radial head), and first two ortho's wanted to operate. third guy was a bit older, more experienced, and felt that the bone would heal on its own (the pieces were displaced 1-2mm), and recommended careful PT. the bone ended up healing fine, and its been a year now.
    Yeah, my pieces moved since the Xrays above.....more around 5mm.

I was given both options.....but I would rather get it fixed now, than wait 6 months or a year down the road to find out that I was still gonna have to get it fixed.

There is concern of impingement in the joint down the road if I let it heal by itself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good choice, in my experience it's best to listen to the doctors in cases like this.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by fooldall1 View Post
    Good choice, in my experience it's best to listen to the doctors in cases like this.

Turns out it was the correct decision to go for surgery....turns out there was a hairline fracture about 4" down the bone, that did not show up in the x-ray.

It has now been 3 years....no issues.