mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Double Hamstring Pulls

Yes, I'm an idiot. I pulled both hamstrings at the same time playing softball yesterday (Friday).

They are both really sore, I can't even squat down without it feeling like knives in both hamstrings. I've been doing the RICE thing for 24 hours, but they still hurt like hell.

I read up on the situation, seems like "Stage 2" tears in both, since "Stage 1" should only hurt when I put a lot of pressure on them. I can't even get out of a chair unless it has arms to push on.

Anyone have a guess as to how long I'll be off the mountain bike? I read everything from 3 weeks to SIX MONTHS. You have to be kidding me.

I can't even call the doc until Monday; I'll get into the doc ASAP, but around here that might be late in the week or even next week. I'm guessing they'll just ask a few questions and prescribe PT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I also, couple years ago, pulled both hamstrings. Seems similar to yourself and took 3-4weeks to get rolling, running again. Do yourself a favor and do not push it, it will just make it worse. However, you may be able to ride in week or 2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    I also, couple years ago, pulled both hamstrings. Seems similar to yourself and took 3-4weeks to get rolling, running again. Do yourself a favor and do not push it, it will just make it worse. However, you may be able to ride in week or 2.
    Thanks 1362. I went to the doc this week and it was exactly what I feared - double Grade 2 hamstring tears. I had severe swelling and bruising from the internal bleeding on both sides.

They said it was good that I had iced it for the first four days until I saw them. They said to alternate heat and ice for another week until I start PT, and let the PT decide from there. I am most likely completely off of any kind of bike riding for the first three weeks, then low gear easy road riding for another 2-3 weeks. In other words, I am going to miss the best six weeks of the MTB season in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have injured my hamstrings many times. It takes a much longer for hamstrings to heal completely compared to most muscles. I can't tell you how many times I thought it was healed and got active too early only to re-injur it and start all over again.

I would say given the severity of your injuries you are looking at up to 3 months before you are close to 100%.