mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Double fractured pelvic bone :(

Wiped out at the Napa Dirt Classic race on Sunday. At first, it actually didn't seem like too bad a fall. The exterior damage was pretty contained, and while it hurt a lot, I was able to pick up my bike and hike off the track. Then I lay down and realized how badly hurt I was, because I couldn't stand up. All the race participants passed, and I told a couple of them to please notify the organizers.

And then I just lay there for over an hour until a guy finally found me. Turns out while the organizers were aware of a downed rider, nobody had been able to accurately describe where I was lying. The guy pulled me onto the bed of his pickup truck and drove me to the finish line, where the paramedics called an ambulance.

X-ray confirmed a fractured pelvic bone, and since a CT scan showed no organ damage the ER doctor said I could just pick up crutches and try to get home. But as I tried to stand up I nearly passed out from the pain. They immediately gave me an IV with some good stuff that made my head spin for several minutes and they decided to keep me overnight for observation. The radiologist then upgraded the damage to TWO separate pelvic fractures.

Back home in bed now. The pain is pretty grueling, even with Oxycodone, but that should get better quickly. There will be no riding for at least a couple of months.

I guess I should be glad it wasn't worse, but I just don't feel there was any parity between the fall and the injury. Sigh.

mtbr member

Double fractured pelvic bone :(

That sounds unpleasant . Are they going to do anything with the fractures, or do you just have to wait for them to heal naturally? Can you feel any clunking from the bones?

One of my friend's badly broke his pelvis in a motorbike accident a few years ago. His was held together by an external fixator to keep the bones in place whilst they healed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My fractures weren't dislocated, so they didn't do anything but give me pain killers and tell me to stay in bed for a week. Four days in I'm already much better. I can move around the apartment on crutches, but I am still far from being able to put weight on the leg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey teknolog i hope you are doing well now, and i was wondering as i just fractured my pelvis in 5 places on Saturday, in a mtbing accident of course, is how long was your recovery time? are you back on a bike now and how long did it take before you where able to get back on a bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    Hey teknolog i hope you are doing well now, and i was wondering as i just fractured my pelvis in 5 places on Saturday, in a mtbing accident of course, is how long was your recovery time? are you back on a bike now and how long did it take before you where able to get back on a bike?
    Ouch, I'm sorry to hear!

I was in bed for a week and on crutches for about four weeks. Then I started bike commuting to work. I think I went for my first trail ride 7-8 weeks after my fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That doesn't sound to bad. I am glad i found your post and am able to get a perspective from someone who has been through this and get an idea of what i am in for over the next few months. Thankfully i was on bed rest for only one night i was up and moving the day after on a walker and sitting in a chain most of the day and then yesterday i was up and moving on crutches and got to come home. They have my activity level as normal activity so i am able to get around the house on crutches. The one thing i haven't figured out is sleeping. I can sleep for a few hours and then wake up completely uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sleeping was definitely difficult the first week. I kept waking up with severe pain around 4-5 am. But within a week I was able to get off the pain killers entirely and then I slept well.