mtbr member

Doctor cleared me to ride mtb again!!

Gonna have my first ride on February 2 (weather permitting, still under doctors orders to take it easy).

I'm so excited! I'm scared though :\.

Feels good to be at this point though. Took seven months to get back on the bike. Initially my doctor said 9-12 months but my recovery has gone so well he's comfortable with me riding now! He just said to keep off of very rocky trails, aggressive riding, etc.

Thanks to everyone in here who has helped me through my broken leg. It's still not 100% but at this point I'm feeling pretty good
    :wq

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good for you

I guess my only advice is just go real real slow. Just being on dirt is going to be a joy, no need to actually be "mountain biking" for a while. Hopefully you have trails that are pretty flat to practice on. You're going to remember how you used to ride but your skilz are going to be zero for now. Yeah, it's sort of like "riding a bike" but you'll need to get your muscle memory and coordination running in sync--don't assume that any move you might try will come naturally right away, you're going to have to relearn all that stuff. Good luck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Yeah, we'll see how it goes. The trails we're going to ride are in Granite Bay, CA, along Folsom Lake. Mostly flat, 9-10 miles worth, pretty easy, etc. I'll probably just ride them till April

I've done a few road rides and had good experiences there. I just haven't been out much due to the wind and rain, etc. Mountain biking is this kind of weather is much easier and more enjoyable, though not sure how comfortable I feel with riding in the mud/slick just yet

mtbr member
    My hubby is in his first weeks of a similar injury...he has not started PT yet but we are looking forward to getting him on a trainer ASAP. His doc has given him 6 weeks of NO weight bearing...then partial weight for another 6 weeks. Pins will be removed then see what happens.

I do have a question for you...are you riding clipless or a flat pedal?

Thanks for posting your progress...it has been something to look at in terms of what we might expect. I do not think his is quite as severe but similar in alot of ways!

WARNING!!! graphic images in following link...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauriea...7603548193814/

BTW: congrats on your success and great job keeping positive!!!!

mtbr member
    When I first started riding on a trainer, I was riding with flats. I did one or two road rides on flats but felt like a dork so I tried out clipless and found I could do it with no problem. My concern was always with whether or not I'd be able to twist my ankle to get out and I was. Not as afraid of falling with them.

Hopefully he'll heal well and be back on his feet soon. One thing that might help him is that the plates are much more significant in terms of supporting the bone while it heals (and getting you on the leg again) than just screws, like I have in my tibia. Just make sure he stays off that leg until the doctor says otherwise and that he does his PT as much and as soon as is directed. I believe that my dedication to the PT when it was prescribed is why my ankle/leg are bouncing back like they are. I've taken two trips now where there has been a lot of walking (2-4 miles a day min) and had no issues.

If he's looking for a good place to go to be with other broken leggers, read an FAQ on other stuff to expect, etc, check out www.mybrokenleg.com. You may have already found it, but if not.. My user name over there is cycles.

Team Chilidog!
    Congrats! I finally am starting to get more comfortable on the bike again, and I've been back on for three months. Remember, it may take a while to rebuild your staminia, but definitely welcome back!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Congrats, Matt. I'm going to try to make it out with you guys. It ought to be fun.

mtbr member
    I had a dream last night that I was mountain biking and doing a bunch of jumps and I kept crashing NO JUMPING.

Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Congrats, Matt. I'm going to try to make it out with you guys. It ought to be fun.
    February 2, be there!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There aren't really any jumps out there, are there? Maybe since you're still recovering, I may be able to keep up with you guys.

mtbr member
    Not only am I recovering, I'm fatter, so yeah.

We'll see how it goes. I took a short ride yesterday on my roadie and my leg was feeling pretty strong. Not like it was, but good. I'm going to plan on going slow that day though. No point in risking it.

mtbr member
    great news, have a great time and let us know how it went

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Not only am I recovering, I'm fatter, so yeah.

We'll see how it goes. I took a short ride yesterday on my roadie and my leg was feeling pretty strong. Not like it was, but good. I'm going to plan on going slow that day though. No point in risking it.

mtbr member
    Got my bike back from the shop. I wanted them to go over it and make sure it was still safe to ride, in good condition, etc. They found that the reason my rear wheel was out of true is because the impact was so hard I broke a spoke in the rear wheel right at the elbow

I got it back though. I bought some new, wider (2.3) tires too. Took it for a spin around the block. I love that bike. Road riding is fun, but this bike...love.