Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you freeze up or live the landing?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  root_rider 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Crashing is one of the sad parts in our sport.
We are all on the waiting list to meet mother earth sooner or later, keeping our bikes on two wheels is not always as easy as It should be.
I have had injuries during my riding experience , I have learned with time that ignoring the dynamics beyond my falls is just foolish and timing sometimes is crucial.
Even when you loose it
Just like a stunt person I think that to be prepared to impact the soil and position yourself to suck in the blow is key.
How many riders out there agree with that and if so what's your take on the issue?

#3 ·
I froze up on the second terrace because of a boulder, it stopped the bike and I flew over the bars hit head first. 1 med vac and 3 fracture vertebrae later, I'm lucky to be writting this today. don't freeze. let your arms absorb the hit, and keep your weigh low as possible.

#5 ·
I actually don't remember much after thinking "Oh CRAP" and realizing that my skills aren't going to save me. I can't say whether I freeze or tuck-&-roll or what. I do remember smacking the ground and wondering if I'll be able to get up. The time between "Oh CRAP" and hitting the ground seems instantaneous.

Unfortunately, my right knee has taken massive whacks on something in each of my last three crashes, and so now, SURPRISE! I have a torn meniscus. I can only think I hit the frame or stem.

The trails here in Grand Junction are so rocky that any unplanned departure from the bike results in puncture injuries and/or road rash. Lots of blood loss.

BTW- Knee and elbow pads are on order and "the boss" has forbidden my trail riding until they show up (Monday?).

#6 ·
roll!!!!!!!! there is no need for sudden stop,s be a wheel you ride em all day. ive done my time on a skateboard long enough to learn how to constantly bail on asphalt down stairs, its half the fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.