Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

destroyed my clavicle

4K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  yakuzafreerider 
#1 ·
overshot the landing on a DJ, there fixin it surgicaly
any one else recover from something like this? Have any tips?

#2 ·
I just recovered from a busted one, in April. I was out for almost three months. Take calcium and vitamin D, to aid healing, and build stronger bones, than before. You also need to get ALOT OF SLEEP. All the healing is done while you are at rest. I slept 10-15 hours a day, the first three weeks- and the pain was gone by then.

At 44 years old- I no longer huck my bike. I do not have the time to always recover from spills.....so I just ride XC now. At least I am much fitter now than when I was 25.

#4 ·
Wed. AM, of all things, ON MY F'N COMMUTE! Downhill street, intersection @ the bottom, and I was feeling playful ( insert at will: stupid, myopic, arrogant). But the combo of cross-traffic, strong discs -- esp. in front -- and new gloves that reduced feedback from the levers, let me let myself down.

I landed hard, on my helmet and (R) shoulder, hence the c-bone is in 3 pcs. Surgery is on Monday.

#6 ·
I just broke mine yesterday. I can feel for you, I know how painfull they can be. Thankfully, it was broken in only one place. I probably won't need surgery, unless it doesn't heel right. I broke it while jumping. Flipped over the handlebars and landed on my shoulder.

G
#7 ·
Hang in there.

I broke mine badly and needed surgery also. They put in a plate and seven screws. It took a full year to heal completely so don't get discouraged when the xrays show it healing slow. I am riding harder than I was before now and so will you but it is a long process. The clavicle can be one of the slowest bones in the body to heal.

#8 ·
catskillclimber said:
I broke mine badly and needed surgery also. They put in a plate and seven screws. It took a full year to heal completely so don't get discouraged when the xrays show it healing slow. I am riding harder than I was before now and so will you but it is a long process. The clavicle can be one of the slowest bones in the body to heal.
ouch, the doc said 2months but being 15 doesnt hurt in terms of time of recovery

#9 ·
Avoid surgery

iridexc said:
overshot the landing on a DJ, there fixin it surgicaly
any one else recover from something like this? Have any tips?
If it's a single break try to avoid surgery. With surgery you'll have to imobilize it for several weeks, so now you'll have recovery and rehab. If you can go without surgery you can be back on the bike in as little as 3-4 weeks, riding trails in 5-6, and jumping off stuff in about 10. A basic surgery would probably double that, and apparantly (if it's multiple fractures) it can be several months.

Unlike one of the other posters my doc told me that the clavicle was one of the quicker healing bones, but that was without surgery/hardware.

Mine was a helmet/shoulder landing and it broke about 2 inches in from where it connect to the shoulder. The alighment wasn't ideal, but it heald fine and I was back on the trail in about 6 weeks. There was discomfort after about 30 minutes in the saddle (graduly went away after about a year). Push ups hurt the worst. I could only do them from my knees for the first 3 months, and it was probably 6 before I was back to normal push ups without much pain.

Good luck and heal fast.

SS93

#11 ·
my wife broke her collarbone in march .it was overlapping 3/4" Drs. told her it would grow back together and be alright .after 3 months of pain and misery they tell her it's not healing so surgery is needed.they plated & pinned it in june she still is in pain.they gave her lidocane pain patches to put on it that work wonders.but if she trys to go a day without it she's miserable.she's been able to do a few rides since but not without painkillers.she says the skin all around has no feeling but the shoulder hurts like hell.now they say the plate may have to come out if it the pain doesn't let up.the plate & screws alone cost on the bill was $16000.00 .I told her to ask if we get that money back if they take it back out.lol yea right.hopefully you'll have better luck than she's had.Best of luck Butch

#13 ·
well i had somewhat good news, but being bored outta my damn mind for 6-8weeks isnt ggod news. anyways doc told me im lucky im sleeping 6-8hrs straight, but im also waiting to take my painkillers at bedtime which run out in 3 more days so after that we will see...lol anyways im hoping to atleast try to get on my trainer next week and start spinning-with halloween, thanksgiving and christmas falling into my time off ill weigh 400lbs by the time i recover. did finally look at my helmet which is toast-took a huge chunk outta the side of it where i hit my head- probably y i cant remember the crash. so as far as physical therapy goes to those that healed is there anything i can do to keep my arm strong somewhat while i heal?

#14 ·
yakuzafreerider said:
is there anything i can do to keep my arm strong somewhat while i heal?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The BEST thing you can do, is ball your hand in a fist tightly......then quickly release all your fingers, spread out, palm facing up. Repeat. Do this about 100 times a day. This will promote circulation to the affected arm, and retain muscle tone. In fact- I got Popeye forearms, just from doing this exercise every day, for the past two years. Proper blood circulation and plenty of bedrest, are key to growing muscle and healing fractures. Heal well....

#15 ·
yakuzafreerider said:
so as far as physical therapy goes to those that healed is there anything i can do to keep my arm strong somewhat while i heal?
You might know to do this already but my doctar said too keep moving my wrist and elbow. He said to take it out of my sling and stretch my elbow. This helps to keep your joints from getting stiff. How many pain killers did your doctor give? Mine gave me 50, should last a while. Not sure what I'll do when they run out.

Steelstump, my doctor said if I don't have surgery, later in life it could possibly fatigue faster than my other shoulder because the bone is shorter. Did you or anyone else have problems with this? The doctor said the coice is up too me. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#16 ·
Not sure?

PAbiker said:
Steelstump, my doctor said if I don't have surgery, later in life it could possibly fatigue faster than my other shoulder because the bone is shorter. Did you or anyone else have problems with this? The doctor said the coice is up too me. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Mine didn't over lap, it stayed end to end (like an offset butt joint, about 30-50% aligned) so I don't think the length is much different. They only thing the doctor warned me about for the future was a higher probability of arthritis. There is an older guy down the street(probably close to 60) who broke his maybe 8-10 years ago and his over lapped about an inch (no surgery). He retired a couple of years ago and probably rides more now than ever. When I talked to him about it he didn't mention anything about fatigue once it healed up completely, and it doesn't seem to cut into his saddle time (he's also in pretty good shape). I think that if you stretch regularly and keep good muscle tone (pushups, military press, etc.) you'll have a lot less trouble.

Take my advice with a grain of salt though. I broke it 2 years ago and I'm only 36, so I've got a lot more time for problems to start showing up.

The keys for me were 1. no surgery (but it was mostly a straight forward break) 2. stretching early on (at 2 weeks maybe) 3. weight bearing exercise as pain would allow (4 weeks?) and 4. getting back on the bike (started on a trainer ~4 weeks, logging road easy trail ~6).

The only time I really notice any discomfort is when I lay on that side for long periods, especially when camping (pad is not as comfy as a mattress).

I'd try and get a second opinion. There are definitely short term drawbacks with surgery, and there may also be long term drawbacks.

Good luck.

SS93

#17 ·
here within the first week ive been moving my arm a little to reduce stiffness in elbow, wrist and fingers...i plan to hit the trainer starting next week and hopefully third week very light lifting and stretching. im hoping this injury will in a way push me to get stronger in other areas while im off from work. im a little bummed because id be riding still right now cold or not but fuel my fire for spring...i do agree second opinions help. good luck all

#18 ·
I broke mine the last race of the MSC,9/7/08. Had surgery on the 10th, some new Ti upgrades, and back on the bike racing cross. I still have some numness down my right forearm but getting better, Doc says may take till the end od the year to be all better. good luck and get better. I can't post the x-rays but if you want I can e-mail them to you.

#19 ·
been out in the neighborhood on the road bike, and trainer twice this week- definately enjoyed riding 2 wheels again. cant believe how tired i am on those days. I started taking calcium supplements this week, and moving my arm slowly. this nice weather here just makes me wanna ride. so far so good just regular tylenol instead of the vicodin is helping pain.

#20 ·
Yeah, try to ease up on the narcotic painkillers- they can slow healing of the clavicle.

To practice moving the arm, stand near a wall with your outstretched arm, and slowly claw your way up- as high as you can go. Do this every day, and soon you will regain movement.

#23 ·
I agree no meds if you can bear it. had a followup exam thurs that went well...still 4 weeks before I can work (I hope) missing the bike is natural, been riding the road bike occassionaly in the neigjhborhood and trainer to just get out and moving. but it will do- id rather be on my dirtbag in the woods throwing down on some gnarl though.

#24 ·
Now at a little over a month since I broke my clavicle Ive gotten back most of my movement, still can't put a lot of weight on it or make sudden moves with the left arm. But in time strength will return, muscles over my shoulder cramps up a lot after walking or standing for long lengths of time. Still been hitting the road bike on the trainer, and an occasional spin in the nieghborhood. Hope everyone is doing well.

#25 ·
PAbiker said:
You might know to do this already but my doctar said too keep moving my wrist and elbow. He said to take it out of my sling and stretch my elbow. This helps to keep your joints from getting stiff. How many pain killers did your doctor give? Mine gave me 50, should last a while. Not sure what I'll do when they run out.

i did not have a choice(by virtue of shortening, tinting of the skin, and the fragment), honestly it feels so much better once the post op pain is gone

#26 ·
Good to hear

yakuzafreerider said:
Now at a little over a month since I broke my clavicle Ive gotten back most of my movement, still can't put a lot of weight on it or make sudden moves with the left arm. But in time strength will return, muscles over my shoulder cramps up a lot after walking or standing for long lengths of time. Still been hitting the road bike on the trainer, and an occasional spin in the nieghborhood. Hope everyone is doing well.
Good to hear you're doing well. Mine would also fatigue/cramp if my arm went unsupported for extended periods. I'd put the sling on if I were going to be standing for long periods. Make sure you are stretch for range of motion.

SS93

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.