Thread: Depression

unrooted

Depression

I can't seem to get myself to do anything except 'play' on the internet.

mtbr member

Re: Depression

Proven fact, exercise releases endorphins that increase mood, countering the effects of depression. Force urself to go ride and ride hard see how u feel after. Find something to change up ur routine for riding as well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    You need to really force yourself on a ride. Better with some people you know. You'll feel so much better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I was the same way a few months ago. Last year couldn't get off my bike , I would ride at least 100 miles a week on trails. Went through a tuff break up, kinda sidetracked my riding and didn't want to do anything besides party/drink and be lazy. Started to ride again and just pushing yourself and wanting to be better helped me. Try new trails, get some upgrades, new gear. Get a new riding buddy.
    Stop being lazy and go have some fun!

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I can't seem to get myself to do anything except 'play' on the internet.
    Tough one buddy - waaaaay more commoN than you think . It's a cycle, and so is doing something. Start with something you want to do and enjoy and do it everyday - diarise your time and commit to it for 4 days, then at the end of the 4 days, commit to it till the end of the week etc etc. you can do anything at all for a few days, and soon it becomes a habit and part of life.

Add something new each week, and cut back on something that you aren't proud of - you don't need to go cold turkey, just committ to cutting it back an amount that is easy to do.

You can eat an elephant mouthful by mouthful, so break.ife down into little chunks of slow change.

mtbr member
    Depression is hard man! Been there several times in my 45 years . I agree with the other posters advice and you have made the first step of actually reaching out. In the last 10 years I've ended an 18 year career and started in a totally new one, got divorced after 17 years of marriage, had a brain tumor that caused my weight to effectively double and lost the love of my life. Hang in there and get outside in the sun and lean on your friends, after all what are friends for. Believe me
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I empathize. I am going through a period where stress has finally effected me physically in the form of insomnia. Right now I am taking meds to unwrap the spaghetti in my head when I wake up at night. I am thing to wean off by trying cognitive behavior training and lessing meds to when i have a rough night. Essentially you learn to be a better sleeper.

Depression, can respond well to medication, but it is best to seek the cause and face it. It can be tough, and good friends are like diamonds. Use them.

If you can't force yourself to get out, tell your friends to drag you.

I believe there are solutions for everyone. If you think it is getting too bad, see a professional. Hang in there. You gotta believe.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Been there. You gotta do stuff. Besides the obvious answer for a mountain bike forum, I find organizing stuff really helps, like, throwing out junk and organizing my whole garage or my kitchen. Organizing my closet and sending stuff to goodwill. Fix up stuff around the house. Or wash and wax your car, get it perfectly clean. Getting stuff done that's been nagging makes you feel good. Then build on that and keep working on staying active and focused.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure how old you are but I went through something similar and knew something was not right. Got tested and testosterone was way low. Started on gel and it was night and day difference. Go see a doctor.

unrooted
    I went rock climbing this morning and for a bike ride this evening. I feel a bit better. I'm 35 and I've been having 'episodes' a lot lately. I really need to see a doctor/psych. When I'm down I see no way out and feel like it extends an eternity in both directions. When I'm doing okay I feel like I was just seeking attention.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I am in the same situation. I've suffered from depression my whole life. I also have fibromyalgia. Biking and rock climbing along with meds help keep it all at bay. A month ago I crashed hard and fractured my wrist. Since I have an HMO it took exactly a month to get a cast on my arm. While it was without a cast I was still doing dirt road riding which was helping to keep and the depression and pain at bay. Now it will be 6-8 weeks of being in a cast. No climbing, no biking, I can't work, the depression is hitting me hard. I am not sure yet how I will fight it. Besides upping my meds and trying to find meaning in life. I keep reminding myself how much fun I had the day I fractured it. The worst part is its already been a month. I could have almost been done with this. Oh well. Good luck and you aren't alone
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    May 2013

Consider medication. There is nothing wrong with being on antidepressants for few months or even permanent. I was in a hole my self and my doctor put me on welbutril xl. I tried other onces too but they had negative side effects like decreased sex drive and sleepiness. I finally got off not too long ego. If you can force your self to go out and do things, more power to you. I personally could not. All i did was play on Internet all day and when it came time to go to bed id feel even worth because i waisted the whole day. You are on the right track, first step is sharing it with some one. This does not make you weak. Good luck to you man...

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    I am in the same situation. I've suffered from depression my whole life. I also have fibromyalgia. Biking and rock climbing along with meds help keep it all at bay. A month ago I crashed hard and fractured my wrist. Since I have an HMO it took exactly a month to get a cast on my arm. While it was without a cast I was still doing dirt road riding which was helping to keep and the depression and pain at bay. Now it will be 6-8 weeks of being in a cast. No climbing, no biking, I can't work, the depression is hitting me hard. I am not sure yet how I will fight it. Besides upping my meds and trying to find meaning in life. I keep reminding myself how much fun I had the day I fractured it. The worst part is its already been a month. I could have almost been done with this. Oh well. Good luck and you aren't alone

I've had a summer of minor injuries, first a broken toe which stopped me from climbing El Cap this year (I think???), then a finger and a sprained ankle. I've still been able to ride my bike though. Injuries suck.

I hope you also make it it out, depression is horrible. I need to at least find a therapist to listen to me ***** about how I'm sad despite having a really good life.

Certifiably Crazy
    See a therapist and see if you can get medication for it. There's no shame in being on medication. I work with teenagers afflicted by a variety of mental disorders and they, for the most part, live healthy lives. I'd like to reiterate what everyone has been saying and tell you to go outside and ride your bike or meet new people. The less time you spend alone the better you'll feel.

Carlos
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

Dirt Abuser
    I've had the same issue over the last few years. My bike collected dust for a year as I had no motivation to do anything... Between the stress and depression, I dropped all of my hobbies.

Then things started to get a little better and I started riding again. The endorphin's that are released on the ride really help even though its for a short period of time. Getting outside, working out, getting fitter, improving cardio, reducing fat are all beneficial.

As others said, force yourself to get out for a short easy ride at least once a week, no need to kill yourself. Then make it to two times a week and _TRY_ to enjoy yourself out on the trails. Get your MP3 player charged up and get out there. The Internet will always be there for you and that can actually be your reward (surf'in) when you get back home.
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Go see a professional. Advise about adding exercise, etc. is not bad advice but the issue may be deeper than that. Frequently depression has a biological cause. The answer may be as simple as an SSRI. I suggest you go to a psychiatrist (i.e. a medical doctor). I had PTSD and found therapy to be garbage. Medication helped me get some sleep and get past it.