Thread: Dear Scumbag:

The Road Warrior

Dear Scumbag:

Dear Scumbag,

Before I begin writing, I'd just like to say that I hope this letter finds you well.

Moreover, friend, I should express to you my most sincere gratitude for throwing your piss warm chango bottle into the middle of the trail in front of UCLA, today.

You see, as I was coming down that aforementioned trail, your modelo gold bottle had the good fortune of rolling itself into the middle of the trail, behind a blind curve.

And me, I came around that corner at about 25 miles an hour, hitting that bottle, and subseqently eating it.

I'd like to think that the pain and suffering I'm enduring is just your way of passing on what resentments a man of your stature would have towards someone such as myself. You, embittered about not attending such a prestigious University, could only do in well in life as to fling your piss warm chango bottle at the gates of the school, and me, little lord fauntleroy, himself an attendee of said University, taking the pain you indirectly caused me as a token of your begrudging respect, expressed in what way you did... flinging your piss warm chango bottle.

Here's to you, fren. I'd like fries with that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    a man of your stature would have towards someone such as myself. You, embittered about not attending such a prestigious University, , and me, little lord fauntleroy, himself an attendee of said University, taking the pain you indirectly caused me as a token of your begrudging respect, expressed in what way you did
    Here's to you, fren. I'd like fries with that.[/QUOTE]

I think you are mad but you sound like a stuck up #$%@. If some one works at a fast food place are you better then them? Sod off. Chill out. And I hope after you get out of said school you learn to respect all people. Because you are not special Or better then any hard working janitor, Cook, Or garbage man. And no you do not get a student discount.

The Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    a man of your stature would have towards someone such as myself. You, embittered about not attending such a prestigious University, , and me, little lord fauntleroy, himself an attendee of said University, taking the pain you indirectly caused me as a token of your begrudging respect, expressed in what way you did
    Here's to you, fren. I'd like fries with that.
    I think you are mad but you sound like a stuck up #$%@. If some one works at a fast food place are you better then them? Sod off. Chill out. And I hope after you get out of said school you learn to respect all people. Because you are not special Or better then any hard working janitor, Cook, Or garbage man. And no you do not get a student discount.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, homie. Right on.

Every time I get to go through campus and see how undiverse and overrepresented it is with people who slimed their way through the system, I think about people like you that cry poor mouth when you get a bit of reality shoved in your face.

It's a two way street. What, didn't you work hard enough to get into a good school?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    If in doubt, assume sarcasm
    The board seriously needs sarcasm spoiler tags.

FWIW, a 29er would've rolled over that bottle like nothing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hay dude its just a reality check. This attitude should be considered inexcusable on the trail and in day to day life. I am not looking to troll or start a big fight. It was just my 00.02$. Hope your back on your bike and thrashing soon. Just be glad it could have been a 'trucker bomb'... Lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It was probably left by a frat boy with a full ride from daddy who you will be working for when you get your sheep's skin.

Bummed you were injured. Hope you're upright and rolling again soon.

Humility will carry you further in this world than hate. JMO...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Dear Scumbag:

I almost got a VW Vanagon with a pop top today. But I decided against it.

mtbr member
    Sorry you got hurt, but What are you doing speeding around blind corners? If a hiker had been there instead of that bottle would have been more than just yourself injured.. and entirely your fault.

Frys With That, Please
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    Sorry you got hurt, but What are you doing speeding around blind corners? If a hiker had been there instead of that bottle would have been more than just yourself injured.. and entirely your fault.
    At 25MPH.

I wonder if that was the posted speed limit for the trail?
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

mtbr member
    "I think about people like you that cry poor mouth when you get a bit of reality shoved in your face." Land speed

What are your thoughts on people that have such a lack of character and strength that when confronted with a small bump in life they jump on a public forum and whine like a petulant child and denigrate others for their choice in occupation?
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    Agree with this and one more thought. Did you see the bottle get tossed or just assume? One of the advantages of a hydration pack is no worries that your bottle has fallen from its cage.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
    And me, I came around that corner at about 25 miles an hour, hitting that bottle, and subseqently eating it.
    You ate the bottle?

I'd be pissed too.

Man imagine the post you'll make when you eventually pass it.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    This thread probably didn't go the way you intended.

Heal up!

Save Jesus
    Look on the bright side. That bottle was worth $0.05. That's money you can put in the BANK.

My Brain Hurts!
    I feel yer pain dude....but ease up a bit. As has been said the bottle could have fallen from a cage or backpack etc... Also, on the blind corner...I try to not speed around them myself...ya it is fun but I also ride trails with hikers and, Dear God, Equestrians! And some of them are riding their horses!!

Can you imagine crashing into a horse on a bike at 25 mph... (I mean you the human on a bike smashing into a horse not a horse on a bike smashing into you...)
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Dear Scumbag:

I see no problem with denigrating fast food workers. Fast food restaurants are designed to simplify the food making process so that individuals with very little education or skills can be paid the absolute minimum to do simple assembly line tasks with almost zero training.

As this is a mountain bike forum, which is a sport requiring non trivial cash investment and disposable income, if you are reading this, most likely, yes you are better than the typical fast food worker. Unless you envision a utopian society with no stratification, there is nothing wrong with carrying that sentiment.

On top of that, i think fast food companies are bad for society, because of their unhealthy food, and a business model that exploits naive small business owners by indenturing them with large construction loans, thereby contractually obligating them to pay the corporation for all supplies (reducing competition),and, simultaneously pay their employees bottom dollar and avoid paying them benefits by limiting their hours to guarantee they remain part-time. Because of all that, the system has the side affect of forcing all of us to subsidize expensive medical bills of both frequent patrons and uninsured employees who are tragically often the same individuals.

so, society would be better off if people were so revulsed by the whole thing that they would neither eat there, nor work there, nor own one, ending the whole system. Therefore, denigrating employees helps this cause by reducing the number of workers willing to subject themselves to such a crappy endeavor.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I think it is better to take an approach that doesn't mock the individuals in the underclass. It sounds like you have some understanding of stratification, but for whatever reason-not the right kind of personal experiences with it to be a little more empathetic about it. Take into consideration how fortunate you are. There are a lot of people who suffer in that endeavor.
    That's stratification and I gotta say, you sound cold at heart.

I agree that fast food isn't the best part of our society. I really like George Ritzer, but it's important to understand what Giddens points out when he discusses Structuration. We all contribute to it.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    You make a good point ehigh, I don't mean to mock the underclass itself. As I was trying to say, the fast food worker is symbolic of so much more than that, and I believe it is a self-reinforcing vicious circle which contributes to the plight of the underclass:

- Workers have few job opportunities so take low wage jobs in fast food, which do not intend to invest in the long term training or personal development of the employees
    - They then have little income so they buy cheap, unhealthy processed foods, from the same companies
    - They have no benefits so they spend more of their income on health care and society absorbs the rest of the costs
    - Which leads to having less disposable income, which persists their consumption of crappy foods, and so on

We all enable this system when we go to these restaurants. But, your criticism is fair, and I'm not saying mocking fast food workers is the total solution. I support increased education funding, support the idea of minimum wage laws, and some form of health-care mandate, all of which are additional ways to help end this cycle.