Out there
    Aug 2006

Dealing with being off the bike

Well, it's getting on for six weeks since I've been on a serious bike ride... herniated disc... well on the way to recovery but when I told the PT I was looking at the bike again she told me 'not yet'.

Damn, I'm hurting for a bike ride but I can also tell a bike ride would hurt me. At least another week, maybe two.

How do you deal with that interminable period between 'starting to get better' and 'my first real bike ride'?

Yes, I've disassembled and reassembled every bike I own, cleaned, lubed, adjusted...
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    I bought an XBOX 360 when I broke my wrist and surfed the net for hours. I still surf but am finally able to ride again (only xc for right now). Be patient and all the luck on your recovery!

mtbr member
    I have sustained my 1st rib injury MTBing, it will be at least another 2 weeks before I can even attempt a road ride. At present passing the weekends in the garage staring at my bike wishing I could ride! It's gonna be a long month.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I managed a couple of rides in the last week... 6km and 10km, nothing very challenging but GAWD it felt good to be on the bike. I overdid it at the end of the week, probably not the ride but lifting something, and am paying for it now... lost a week or ten days' worth of progress. It was almost worth it.

Almost.

I bought a set of weights and have been working on core strength in the downtime.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Chunky Monkey

Off The Bike

Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    Well, it's getting on for six weeks since I've been on a serious bike ride... herniated disc... well on the way to recovery but when I told the PT I was looking at the bike again she told me 'not yet'.

Damn, I'm hurting for a bike ride but I can also tell a bike ride would hurt me. At least another week, maybe two.

How do you deal with that interminable period between 'starting to get better' and 'my first real bike ride'?

Yes, I've disassembled and reassembled every bike I own, cleaned, lubed,

djusted...
    What to do off the bikes??? Huh?

Beat kids, wife, nah she is to strong/fast
    kick dogs/cats to quick
    Find out what the hell is going on!

Been off the bike since October. thought I was coming back from a groin injury. Seven to ten MTB's and one-two road rides a week to nada. Nooooo not that lucky. Ok, maybe pinched nerve from where I broke my L2 three years ago. But noooooo. Maybe L2 rearing its ugly head. All the time watching weight, soaring, not inching up from 200, 215, 230, that Dreyer's Rocky Road is great....245.

Back Doc takes new film says I need his partner Mr. Hip Doc. 250.
    Biringmam 4-18-07 and on to PT now. Nows there is hope.

I say all this because for me not having a scource (hip) to attack and overcome was the worst. 240. But now I do. Not knowing is what drove me nuts...

They say that BRP is six weeks to 100% and I am approaching PT like that but I have some doubts. With my knee replacement I was three months to 100%. 235.

My thoughts are out with all of you that are off your bikes. I can not imagine not being able to ride.

I always carry a flask, the snake died...

mmm bacon

3 months three weeks or so

Thats my current time off the bike after my knee surgery, right now I've been aproved to road ride (slowly, without impact). It really does suck, I'm not allowed to stand and sprint, everything I do is supposed to be slow, with minimal effort. I built a bike during my "time off" it is the only thing that kept me sane. Now the rub, I want to ride it and I can't Feel better get strong and stay well, circus. JK

Chunky Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 925hell
    Thats my current time off the bike after my knee surgery, right now I've been aproved to road ride (slowly, without impact). It really does suck, I'm not allowed to stand and sprint, everything I do is supposed to be slow, with minimal effort. I built a bike during my "time off" it is the only thing that kept me sane. Now the rub, I want to ride it and I can't Feel better get strong and stay well, circus. JK

Thanks 925, appreciate the kind words. I didn't tell you in '78 (yeah I'm old) I had my right knee completely reconstructed. Hip cast for a year, crutches four months. This was before I was a rider and all the progress in surgery. Than started MTB'ing '93 on a friends bike and got badly hooked. Than had a total knee replacement somewhere around '99-'00. Still hurt to be off the bike but went into pt like a demon and was back on the road in a month and a half, dirt three months, 100% four to five-greatest thing I ever did. I am attacking the hip the same way. Sorry I got so wordy but I meant just to say do not push it past what your pt says and do whatever they say if you have a good one. If you do think your pt is good (you will know). Get another pt.

Good luck

mtbr member
    I just broke my back dirt jumping, and my hand.

I've been told no riding for SIX MONTHS!
    I dont know what I'm going to do... I've been off for 2 months from foot surgery, and almost went mad, but 6?

And my back doesnt even hurt too much.. When I get the brace off in 2 months it's going to be soooo hard not to ride.

So much for Whistler and Northstar and Downieville this summer... not to mention riding every day.

In short. I don't know what to do either... Lots of hiking, some stationary biking to stay fit, thats about it

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Coldawg, what has kept me sane (and getting fitter) was finding a really good Physio and driving him nuts with questions about exercises and so on. It's amazing how much you can do while off the bike. It makes you feel like you are doing something.

I have to admit I also rode my bike around my office every day to see how it felt. I practised track stands in the doorway between the inner and outer office.

Yes, I work for myself.

mtbr member
    yup I'm going to do that

The problem is the injury (according to the Stanford doctor), is verrry slow healing and requires me not to lift anything for 6 months (ruling out a lot of staying fit)

funny enough, i was pushing a bike at the shop I work at and felt fine enough to hop on 3 weeks after the accident.. a bit short of 6 months! I didn't though

but I can't imagine in 4 months when i feel 100% having to tell myself not to ride :-(

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Off the bike

I have struggled with this several times and going through it again. I truely enjoy training and the freindships on the bike a that's the part I miss most when laid up. August was my last good ride, use to ride 5 days a week, and I've gotten out a couple of times with painkillers but its just not worth the set backs. It's been 4+ weeks since surgery, had the tailbone removed, and my time line for getting back on the bike keeps getting pushed back. The initial down time post surgery was hard, not being able to sit up or drive. How ever, now that I'm at least mobile I try to spend time working on friends bikes, as well as my own.

Helping others with thier training programs really helps me stay focused into biking. Now that it's spring there are more races and events to volunteer at. Really I get more out of it than I thought and almost feel guilty in a way for enjoying it so much. I tire easily, and make it known that I'm not 100% ie no lifting, but you would be surprised how much events just need bodies to help out.

If racing and volunteering isn't your thing then try running shuttle duty for your buddies. Trust me they will thank you and its better than sitting infront of the TV while your friends are out for a ride. I just wish I was healthy enough to build...plenty of other things to do when off the bike.

Let me know if you have some other suggestions. I'm not going to rush this recovery.
    Tomac 98Special in Classifieds

mtbr member
    I hear all of your pain. I tore my acl in October. Haven't been on a bike since. I've managed to build a bike for cheap over the past couple of months. It sucks seeing all your friends go out riding and your stuck at home. But it goes by QUICK. I'm getting back on a bike in a week....I feel like a kid at Christmas! Good Luck!
    Waitin on the weekend

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, pinkheadedbug says it best. Bug your therapist! I had to wait till late December to get surgery. Should've been a six month recovery but through constant therapy on my own time, reeled it into 4.5.
    Waitin on the weekend

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, I know it truly sucks to be off the bike.

Last Friday I was all happy and looking forward to the first really good day for me to ride coming up since last September when I break my hand (carpal 4 for those would ask) drilling a hole in a hardened truck frame. So now I'm off the bike until June 5th at the earliest. And since its my hand I can't spend any real time at the range either!
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

Jackass

Out for a year....

Thats what my Doc' says anyway. Feb 27th I was t-boned and run over while riding my scooter by a 19 year old female. I have two broken teeth, eight broken ribs, my right shoulder is broken in the shoulder blade and collar bone, my pelvis is broken in three places and I have a brand new titanium pin in my right femur. I recived a total of 60 units of blood products (plasma and blood). Both of my lungs collapsed and my liver was pretty much destroyed. (Alas poor beer! I knew you well!) PT is going really well for me and physically i'm doing pretty well and feel up to riding again.
    Whats screwing me is that the accident caused a "mild brain injury". While things have pretty much come back together mentally the brain doc says that one good bump to the head any time soon might turn me into a drooling invalid. So he says "no high risk activity for at least a year."
    To beat the boredom and feed the bike craving I'm looking to build another bike, but its just not the same ya' know.

Cheers!
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

Bike Geek
    Damn, pesqueeb! Sorry to hear about your accident - makes my 2 broken arms and separated shoulder feel like a paper cut in comparison.

Hang in there and don't rush back into riding. A bike build-up sounds like a great project to help pass the time.

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004
    Wow pesqueeb, just wow. Man, it sounds like you should get a ticket in the Power Ball. Your luck just has to turn around after something like that!
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

Jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by Th' Mule
    Wow pesqueeb, just wow. Man, it sounds like you should get a ticket in the Power Ball. Your luck just has to turn around after something like that!
    LOL! I had thought about that but I think I might have used all my luck just by staying alive.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Spent 6 weeks one arm trainer riding. Broken Collarbone last august
    2007 Mountain Goat Route 29 (Black/Gold)
    2009 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer (Real men ride Pink)
    2008 Trek XO1 Cross Bike

Chunky Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 925hell

How are you/ I started out PT this last Monday and got to ride a statioary bike, I WAS JAZZED. I know , no big deal for some but just to be turning a pedal since last Oct, waht a relief...Hope your well.