mtbr member
    Aug 2005

days off for minor sprain??

hey everybody, this isnt like i destroyed this bone, or ended up in the hospistal, but during a pub 2 pub hike this past weekend, I got a minor sprain of the ankle, i continued on, had a few drinks, stayed away from the dance floor, etc. i woke up the next day put a compression wrap on it, and biked back to my car, and rested the rest of the day. now its been 4 days, and ive stayed off my bike and used it(the ankle) as little as possible, it feels like there is some stiffness like tendonitis and mild but nagging pain. now lots of people say the best way to mend a sore back is to move it. id love to get back on my bike, but i'm worried im going to do further damage. what do you think, should i wait a another day? or few?? share your experiences, thanks.
    Last edited by blahwtf?; 05-01-2008 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For a minor sprain you look at 7-10 days off. The grade of sprain is dependent on how may ligaments are damaged. There are three ligaments on the outside of the ankle that are involved in most sprains. The grades are dependent on these: grade I, II, and III. Now there are IV, V, and VI; but most people will have these and they involve dislocation.

If you want to ride and the ankle feels good, you can get a brace that restricts inversion and eversion of the ankle with plastic pieces. They can also be pumped with air for comfort. They run $30-50 depending on the model. Go to a pharmacy and ask about it. They should be able to help out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    thank you! it seems i sprained the anterior talofibular, if 7-10 is what the doctor ordered i'll stay off my bike this weekend, thanks again