Thread: Damn you ACL

mtbr member

Damn you ACL

knee.jpg

I'm now seven weeks out and riding easy singletrack (against docs orders). tried riding some steep stuf and had a scary dismount but got lucky and just strained my hammy. Lesson learned, back to the flat stuff . Doc says I'll be good to go for the White rim trail in Nov. though. Looking forward to actually charging down a trail again.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't be a dummy, let it heal!

My ACL repair is 17 years old now and doing OK, knock on wood...

I've avoided arthritis from what's left of my mangled meniscus although it has been touch and go for several years now.

Many people see me limping from time to time.

The pain goes away, the pain comes back. the pain goes away...

That's how it is.

P.S. they took your graft from your hamstring didn't they?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had the same surgery 5 weeks ago,my knee is doing good but my hips and calfs are killing me from the PT.I'm riding my bike on the road some building up my conditioning.It's been 3 months since the injury I'm tired of being gimped up.I can relate to what your going thru.

mtbr member

Advice

No one recovers from an ACL tear to be able to ride the trail is 35 days. Denial and ignorance will keep you from rehabbing properly. Hit the gym and ride a the spinner to death. Good luck if you think you can short cut this injury.

mtbr member
    I tore my ACL, CL, LCL, MCL, and meniscus 15 years ago. After PT that went from December to the end of May, things are good. I used to have some aches and stiffness on long drives, but I am currently pain free and arthritis free and played rugby and currently play roller hockey with out a brace. I went to the surgeon to look at my other knee (I have a case of jumpers knee that only bothered me when I played hoops) and showed him a current xray and said all is good. Listen to your doctor and stay off of it, it may be as strong as its going to get (structurally, not muscularly) but if you had a patella or hamstring graft (I had a cadaver) there is no point in damaging another part of your leg for a little fun on your bike.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Zamboni, how long ago did you get the surgery? Sounds like recently.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    My surgery was the day after thanksgiving in 1994.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wow, that almost as long ago as mine. Why the cadaver parts? Also, did they do a partial or full meniscotomy? And you've had no issues running in Rugby? I'm amazed, frankly. I was running a few years back (against doc's advice) and my knee swelled up for two years before settling down again. It has been really good for the past 3 or 4 months, but I was limping this past winter. I think cycling has prevented me from being a cripple.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Dru, I was 16 when I injured my leg and in pretty good shape (for being an offensive lineman) so maybe being young helped out. They did the cadaver graft because they would not have been able to salvage enough material from the patella tendon or from my hamstring. I think the meniscus was the least of their concern either because everything holding my lower leg to my upper leg was skin and my patella tendon, or because the tear was not too bad. I had about 7 hours of surgery and woke up in the recovery room and they almost immediately put me on a continuous motion machine to help minimize the formation of adhesions. I was working out on the exercise bike rocking the pedals between from about the 2 o'clock position to the 10 o'clock position (through the 6 o'clock position) to break some adhesions and help with regaining range of motion. They said to try to bend my knee as much as possible, so being a teenager and a smart ass, I stood up and tried to go the full 360 degrees and slipped and my leg went all around and most of the adhesions popped causing everyone to turn in my direction. That was not supposed to happen, but they said that my knee was as stable as its going to be as soon as the surgery happened, so it was a good thing (probably cut 2 weeks off of pt). As far as pain in the knee goes, once I was off of crutches (probably in march) it was nothing worse than a dull ache. In a college hockey game, I went awkwardly went into the boards and popped more adhesions. It hurt, but scared my more than anything. I can run on it, play basketball on it (its my other knee that is bothered by basketball), play all sorts of hockey (ice, floor, roller), and run on it with no pain either during or after my activity. My biggest problem now is my weight (6'6" and about 330#), but I plan on getting on my bike religiously for the next couple of months and would like to get back down to about 260# by the spring.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm kind of amazed you're not crippled after telling me that. So you'd be early thirties then. I toasted mine when I was 22 (drunken wrestling with a friend) and the big problem was the lack of a good ACL repair in 1985.

Being young and stupid (go figure) I dislocated the unstable joint 4 or 5 times before getting the ACL repaired with the patellar tendon. That was 1991 and it was really new stuff up here. When they went in they found that my inner meniscus was pretty much a mangled mess. The doc took out about 90% of the inside meniscus, which is why I'm a little worried about arthritis setting in.

The stability of the joint itself has been great, I've had zero issues with it aside from impact bothering the cartilage. As for yourself, I think you are right to take some weight off. You're a fair bit younger than myself and a knee replacement is out of the question imho even at my age and I'm 45.

Thanks for the gory details!!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by photorider
    No one recovers from an ACL tear to be able to ride the trail is 35 days. Denial and ignorance will keep you from rehabbing properly. Hit the gym and ride a the spinner to death. Good luck if you think you can short cut this injury.
    Wrong, I tore mine back when I had no car and had to ride a bile to work every day. I didnt have insurance then and I was riding to work after 20 days

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Incase one of your doc or PT haven't told you yet; drop your seat an inch or two and it will take some pressure off your ACL

I know it's tough but rehab it right the first time because you don't want it to become a chronic injury

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by photorider
    Actually, I was mogul skiing 5 & 7 weeks after ACL reconstruction surgery with a brace and minimal pain. 12 years later, I can't complain as that knee is just as good as my other, non-repaired one.

-E

Members who have read this thread: 0