Yummy

Cycling is highest on the injury list!

From a 2002-2003 study in Canada, the injury rate requiring a hospital stay is highest for cyclist among recreational injuries!

"A total of 6,113 people were hospitalized in 2002-03 after hurting themselves in the pursuit of leisure.

Cycling tops the list, with 665 people of all ages having to stay at least one night in hospital between June and August of that year after mishaps on their bikes."

Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...nts040811.html

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

jrm
    mtbr member

That sure is a narrow sample window

Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    From a 2002-2003 study in Canada, the injury rate requiring a hospital stay is highest for cyclist among recreational injuries!

"A total of 6,113 people were hospitalized in 2002-03 after hurting themselves in the pursuit of leisure.

Cycling tops the list, with 665 people of all ages having to stay at least one night in hospital between June and August of that year after mishaps on their bikes."

Kn.
    i wonder if all the opther disiplines were held to the same 3 month window.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The sample window doesn't matter...

it wouldn't matter if they were held to the same amount of time. It was a simple statement that cycling topped the list with 665 people requiring an overnight stay between the months of June and August. I don't know if you read the article or not, but this line falls under a subtitle that says "Injuries increase in summer". I would think skiing would be far worse with all the knees and brain injuries.

where armour on all your rides...even cross country. Stuff all articles of clothing with Charmin...take all risk out of your life and live in a bubble!

jrm
    mtbr member

Chalk up two for sailing....

Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    it wouldn't matter if they were held to the same amount of time. It was a simple statement that cycling topped the list with 665 people requiring an overnight stay between the months of June and August. I don't know if you read the article or not, but this line falls under a subtitle that says "Injuries increase in summer". I would think skiing would be far worse with all the knees and brain injuries.

where armour on all your rides...even cross country. Stuff all articles of clothing with Charmin...take all risk out of your life and live in a bubble!
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ash040811.html

Oh and have your kids wear helmets at the playground..

lurker spaz

Hmmm....

There was no mention whatsoever of bear baiting in that article! How representative can that survey really be!

Whatevery happened to thorough and complete research?
    Dr(Harumph)Faustus

Ride what you want!!
    It was a quick read through so I may have miss read the article but there were NO injury rates anywhere in that article that I saw. A rate is given as an event per period.

All I saw was a flat number of injuries. My question is, out of how many cyclists. Cycling may be twice as popular as any other activity so it'd be expected that the most injuries would be in cycling. But there may be some fringe activity (bear bating) that has 100% injury rate but since so few people do it, only 20 people came in during that period.

Those numbers in that article are meaningless with respect to injury rates.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member

laughable numbers

How many Canadians play hockey in August? On the other hand I read that rattlesnake baiting by drunks is the most dangerous sport.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    It was a quick read through so I may have miss read the article but there were NO injury rates anywhere in that article that I saw. A rate is given as an event per period.

All I saw was a flat number of injuries. My question is, out of how many cyclists. Cycling may be twice as popular as any other activity so it'd be expected that the most injuries would be in cycling. But there may be some fringe activity (bear bating) that has 100% injury rate but since so few people do it, only 20 people came in during that period.

Those numbers in that article are meaningless with respect to injury rates.

george
    yeah definitely not a very good representation of the "risk" involved in cycling...
    I mean pretty much everybody hops on a bike at some time during the summer... so it could be expected people would crash/get hit by cars etc.... I don't think it's an excessively risky activity.. I've never gone to the hospital for anything bike related.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Mountain Biking wouldnt be as fun if there wasn't any danger.

jrm
    mtbr member

Or Ice fishing..or cow tipping

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Faustus
    There was no mention whatsoever of bear baiting in that article! How representative can that survey really be!

Whatevery happened to thorough and complete research?
    Dr(Harumph)Faustus
    for that matter hey...

MTBR member since 1998

I wonder if the North Shore has any bearing on that number....

Just think, if we remove those numbers, and the Whistler numbers, then it would be like, 3 people.
    As mentioned earlier, cycling is probably the most active sport during the summer. Parents and kids at campsites after not riding all year long, parents using the bike to avoid impaired driving charges, parents using kids bikes to jump out of their SUV, parents using their SUV to pull themselves up jumps and into the side of buildings...
    Goes to show you, only kids should ride bikes.
    Tim...parent and kids.
    Yes I'm a smooth rider. Bowling ball falling down the stairs smooth.

Quote: Godzilla "...owning a Knolly would be the cycling equivalent of having Nichole Kidman and Angelina Jolie show up together on my doorstep."

www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    exactly rotr, its most of the people that are at Whistler, and NS type stuff....freeriding and DHing. They probably including injuries during DH racing also. Trail riding and XC isnt wicked dangerous, but they do have their moments....its mainly the other types of biking.

And He was Not
    That's just what the insurance companies need , that way they can write in a claus and call it an X-TREME sport and charge you more if you own a bicycle.
    Here in N.C. they can up your homeowners if you have a dog,because of liabilities if it bites someone.

\|/ What 60 looks like

"Cycling tops the list, with 665 people of all ages having to stay at least one night in hospital between June and August of that year after mishaps on their bikes."
    From my experience I would say that the vast majority of those injured and requiring hospitalization were roadies. Concrete isn't any softer than rock.

mtbr member
    I wonder of those results take into account multiple visits. I guy I ride with probably accounts for a few of those hospital visits between June and August. Really I think you have Whistler for that high a number. Drive by the clinic at the end of the day the parking lot and it;s full of people waiting for their friends.

mtbr member
    Cow tipping?

OK, can someone tell me if cow tipping is for reals? Seems like the cow can hurt itself from it's own weight in a fall like that.

This city slicker needs it clarified.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

banned
    Apr 2004

only 665, small price to pay

Kn.
    to fly like the wind.