Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The Crash...

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    29

    The Crash...

    So I had my bike for about a year at this point... It was december 1st 2013, It felt great outside! Please see my Trek Marlin 29er below :P

    Name:  wmjwv6.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  21.3 KB

    So as I was saying, It was a great day outside and I took to facebook to share with everyone how I did not ride because it was so cold and I wished to be out there flying down the paved path at the park to get some speed going.

    Flashback to September...

    I had just had my LBS work on my bike because they were going out of business and I had a service contract I figured I would use, especially to get some broken spokes fixed before I could ride again.

    They told me that when I brought my bike in I didnt just have broken spokes in the rear tire (2 spokes) but that the spokes poked through my rim-tape and destroyed my tube. (********* as it held pressure fine when I brought it in*) So after I argue on the phone they tell me to come get my broken bike if I dont want to pay them extra to fix what they ruined.

    I cave in and pay the extra cash to get a new tube and have the rim-tape redone and take my bike home where it sits until december first.

    Flash Forward to December 1st:

    I hook my swagman xtc rack up to the car and throw the bike on, get to the park and do my pre-ride check. Tire pressure, brakes, etc. All the very basic things you would do as I am still a novice and the most I do is light technical trails.

    After spinning around and checking the brakes a few times I take off like a bat out of hell! Flying across the grass, hitting the pavement abusing my gears... I loved that feeling of the chill air striking my face at 18mph... My leg feels weird? Should my ankle be touching the ground like that? The sky is so blue today?!
    *Cue washing machine video....*
    I felt like I was on the spin cycle (*pun intended*) of the washing machine.

    I'm lying on the grass? What the hell happened? Why cant I move my leg?
    I must be fine I tell myself because everyone at the park is walking by me and not paying any attention. I better get up...

    ***FLASH OF WHITE***

    Woah that hurts! Why cant I straighten my left arm? Thats weird, Must of banged it on the way down? I cant really put pressure on my left leg either, Ugh.

    A nice guy on a recumbent bike comes over and says "What happened? I saw you take off like a bat outta hell back there?"

    I dont know I say, But I hurt like hell...

    He asks if I got a flat because my wheel is off?

    Thats when I notice...
    My back wheel is lying next to my bike...
    What the hell? The wheel came off?!

    To cut the story short here, I tossed the bike back onto my bike rack after hobbling back to my car wincing in pain. Opened my trunk to grab my level 2 FAK and patch myself up in some ace's a sling and some instant ice packs. No meds yet as I have to get home...

    I ended up getting home and couldnt get out of the car, the family helped me in, took my bike in and took me to the hospital where they did a bunch of xrays, immobilized my left arm and left leg and sent me off.

    WARNING: PICTURE ARE NOT TOO GRAPHIC BUT ARE GRAPHIC

    I ended up having to have an arthroscopic knee surgery, mri of my knee and a cat scan of my left elbow.

    Diagnosis:
    Left radial head fracture
    Torn cartilage in left knee
    Severe sprain of left ankle.
    (40cc of blood drained out of left knee 3x)

    I was out of work 6 weeks, and had to walk like igor for most of it when I could... I went back to work with my left arm still in a sling immobilized as the fx of the radial head was still bad.



    Name:  1zwdh7p.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  15.2 KB

    OUCH THATS 40cc of blood off that knee...

    Name:  2uy68bb.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  29.4 KB

    IS THAT A TENNIS BALL IN MY ANKLE?!





    THIS WAS MY SLING NOT THE ER'S LOL (THEY DID GIVE ME ONE FOR "FREE" AS THEY SAID I WOULD BE PAYING A LOT FOR THE ER ANYWAY)





    After the swelling is gone... Still not at that point able to bend the ankle.





    When I was able to walk again... Showering and dressing sucked...

    And well thats my story...
    Ive had crashes and falls in the woods and have never got hurt... Until this happened.

    That radial head fx was one of the worst pains I have felt yet with a broken bone... Any slight movement in my hand at all sent white heat through my eyeballs....

    I can now predict with my elbow and knee when rain is coming....

    Private.Property.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    105
    I think we now know why your LBS was going out of business.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flamingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    507
    I had one of those raquetballs on my ankle after stepping in a pothole while running in rain on a flooded street thanks to The Marines. I walked it off... because they gave me some crutches and some pain pills and said I still had to hump it to class. Five days later, my pits hurt a lot more than the ankle.

    Lesson learned the hard way, you did. Hopefully it will all be sunny sailing from here on out. I've been lucky enough to roll both of my crashes with no injuries, even the one where I slid halfway down a ridge, head first, on my back.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by mces View Post
    I think we now know why your LBS was going out of business.
    Yeah... lol


    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    I had one of those raquetballs on my ankle after stepping in a pothole while running in rain on a flooded street thanks to The Marines. I walked it off... because they gave me some crutches and some pain pills and said I still had to hump it to class. Five days later, my pits hurt a lot more than the ankle.

    Lesson learned the hard way, you did. Hopefully it will all be sunny sailing from here on out. I've been lucky enough to roll both of my crashes with no injuries, even the one where I slid halfway down a ridge, head first, on my back.
    Yeah, I have been back riding the past month, Not my mountain bike yet,
    Ive been riding a Mosh 24" cruiser (old 1990's bmx) I picked up off craigslist. Nice little single speed I can ride around until I feel comfortable enough to tackle the mtb again.

    Im just glad I can ride again without my knee clicking anymore haha (had this horrid clicking fleeing for months after the surgery), Guess the gym training is paying off rebuilding the muscle strength in that knee. I still get it sometimes when walking up stairs but its not as bad as it was.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flamingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateProperty View Post
    Im just glad I can ride again without my knee clicking anymore haha (had this horrid clicking fleeing for months after the surgery), Guess the gym training is paying off rebuilding the muscle strength in that knee. I still get it sometimes when walking up stairs but its not as bad as it was.
    That's fantastic, keep working and it will come back to you. I'm fighting knee issues due to weight, and have an intolerable and audible click at times when my knees are not at their best. Yours is probably x10, so I best quit whining about it and take the advice I just gave you

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by mces View Post
    I think we now know why your LBS was going out of business.
    Yeah, it would be good to know where their "mechanics" went to find new employment...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    That's fantastic, keep working and it will come back to you. I'm fighting knee issues due to weight, and have an intolerable and audible click at times when my knees are not at their best. Yours is probably x10, so I best quit whining about it and take the advice I just gave you
    Hey man I'm dealing with a weight issue also, does not look like it in my photo but im 255lb 6'
    I need to drop maybe 40-50 then ill be happy but riding is getting me there

    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    Yeah, it would be good to know where their "mechanics" went to find new employment...
    Wish I could tell you.

Similar Threads

  1. after a crash...?
    By thomllama in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 07:31 AM
  2. First big crash
    By 95YJman in forum Passion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM
  3. How often do you crash?
    By leo3000 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
  4. I did not crash.
    By Bro in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM
  5. crash
    By Adam_B. in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •