Thread: Cracked ribs

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cracked ribs

I cracked two ribs on a recent ride... pretty painful. I thought I had just knocked the wind out of me, but after a few days of consistent pain, I went to see a doc and get X-rays.

Not riding is killing me... Does anyone with experience with this have an idea on how long I should expect to stay off the bike?

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I fractured a rib and also a costochondral separation about 3 weeks ago. Pain is easing during the day and I can certainly do more but sleeping is a *****, just trying to get comfortable. Having my rib head popping in and out is also a pretty weird feeling, bt at least not that painful now. Rule of thumb for recovery was 10 days for muscles, 4-6 weeks for bones and 3 months for ligaments and cartilage.

I am riding my longboard skateboard in the interim as I am not going to mtb ride till everything has heeled as i don't want to risk another fall and possibly punctured lung if the fracture breaks through properly before it has heeled. I will get back on my road bike next though.

Pain is a good guide to your recovery. your ribs will soon tell you if their not happy

Good luck with your recovery