Thread: Cracked Ribs?

Jumper

Cracked Ribs?

I was just wondering if anyone else here has had cracked ribs. If so, how long did it take to recover? Any advice on healy quicker? Anyways, cracked a couple of ribs last Sunday going down a hill (Dana Peak in Harker Heights, Texas) and it has been pretty painful since. Trying to sleep sucks. I am bored as hell. Maybe I will head to the gym and ride a stationary with a some downhill pics in front of me..

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I bruised some ribs a couple of years ago. It does depend on your age, I was 42 then, stayed off the bicycle for 2 weeks, off dirt for 6. But then mine were only bruised, but sure were sore. I know what you mean about trying to sleep.

consistent default champ
    I cracked at least one from coughing while I had bronchitius two months ago. It was really bad for several weeks. I didn't stay off the bike, I just got over the pain. It is still sore some days now but usually only bad when my daughter decides to use me a trampoline.

PULL
    My buddy broke two, was hitting rocky trails 3 weeks later back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Injured my ribs a couple of years ago. I was back on the bike within a week but had to be very careful. It didn't really bother me much on the bike, but another hard fall was not something I wanted to experience until they healed. So even though I was back to riding the same trails, I was riding very conservatively.
    Laying down (as in sleeping) was a whole different story. I had some pretty serious pain laying down for weeks, and it took about 5 months before I didn't feel any pain. It was a very gradual recovery.
    I was in my mid 40s at the time, so if you're younger you will probably heal quicker.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

GASing
    I had a minor crack last summer. I was lucky that it wasn't too painful, but it took a good 2-3 mos to heal. Now I have a sort of lump on the bone where the fracture was.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I broke my ribs back when I was 17 playing hockey and never missed a game, but it was painful doing everyday things and sleeping for months. I am 90% sure I broke some ribs last night falling on my bars after not landing a jump very well. At 34, I'm settling in for a long recovery, although hoping I can still ride. This morning is definitely worse than yesterday.

mtbr member
    I've broken ribs a couple of times. I never had them x-rayed due to a lack of insurance back then and never having trouble breathing or coughing blood, which are the symptoms you should worry about. Let pain be your guide and watch the ibuprofen intake. There has been a lot of medical literature in the past couple of years about antinflammatories contributing to poor bone healing. Heal fast!
    CruisenSurly

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Cracked or broke several of them when I was about 20 riding three-wheeler ATV crashed and rolled down a sand dune. It hurt like a knife in my side with every breath I took!!! I just grinned and beared it....took about three months to heal up so that it didn't hurt constantly and then if I coughed hard or moved just right it still hurt for another month or two! Not fun, I feel for ya and get well soon.

I didn't go to the doctor because all they would do was maybe tape em up and that is debateable as to whether it is good or bad for the injury.

EDIT: forgot about the laying down to sleep. That was more painful than standing.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Flowshizzle Baby

Cracked 2 ribs last year

It took me about 3 weeks to get back on the bike for a casual ride after I cracked 2 ribs. What really seemed to help me was taking calcium pills and multi vitamins. I also started some light stretching routines as the pain lessened.

Good luck!

Team Chilidog!
    It took me 3-4 weeks before the pain went away. I wasn't able to ride for another couple of months due to a fractured wrist.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    I had either cracked or bruised rib in April. Hurt to inhale deeply, and any bump to the region would drop me to my knees. Sleeping was the worst. I pounded the Emergen-C (minerals) and really took it easy (no biking) for 6 days then rode very carefully the next week. Sleeping was much better by about day 10. About 2 weeks into it the impact thing wasn't really an issue anymore. People say these take forever to heal but if you really give your body some primo healing time for a week (eat well, rest, get those min's), I think you can really speed up the healing process.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    Oh yeah, and a heating pad is great for it too. Whenever you're sitting around, wrap a very hot heating pad around the area....great for healing.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."