mtbr member

Continued training with season ending injury?

My season is over!

This was my first year training and racing seriously. While I was finishing in the bottom part of the sport class pack I was making significant improvements with each race and I feel I was on track to finish in the top ten towards the end of the season.

However, last week I was playing in a charity slowpitch tournament and ended up going over on my ankle, tearing the tendonds in my left ankle. Now I'm confined to a walking cast for 6 weeks.

My question is how and what kind of workouts can I do in order to minimize losing my fitness base I've been working so hard on.

I'm even thinking of putting some big platform pedal on my spinning bike with a strap for the cast!! Can I do this without risking further injury or slowing the healing process? I would think that with my leg in the cast my ankle won't have any movement and it would be predominantly my upper leg doing the work thus a safe way to continue pedalling!

Warrior

Weight Training

Seems like anything you do is going to create motion in your ankle and could hamper your healing - I'd ask your doctor if you could ride a stationary.

You might try swimming if you can find a way to keep the cast dry.

You also might get heavily into strength training with movements that don't stress the ankle, like lots of upper body, and leg exercises not involving the ankle.

Also, many shy from this notion, but one of the best race training techniques is meditation. It teaches you to focus and concentrate in a big way, and relaxes you, both of which are a huge part of doing well in races.
    [size=5]
    [size=4] Come Fly The Rockies[/size]
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Recovered from ankle injury

I severly sprained my ankle in early april. I was given a sports brace vice a cast. Doc told me to take it easy for two weeks, then slowly start. Physical therapist actually encouraged me to ride my bike, but not off road. I was riding on paths and trainers in less the two weeks. It help the healing process too and kept me from getting soft. If i wasnt a biker that sprain would still be bothering me.

Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmtbkr
    I severly sprained my ankle in early april. I was given a sports brace vice a cast. Doc told me to take it easy for two weeks, then slowly start. Physical therapist actually encouraged me to ride my bike, but not off road. I was riding on paths and trainers in less the two weeks. It help the healing process too and kept me from getting soft. If i wasnt a biker that sprain would still be bothering me.

Bill
    I was thinking along the same train of thought. Sort of like doing some easy spinning to aid and speed recovery on a rest day.

Thanks for the input.

brg
    mtbr member

I broke my ankle and tore tendons last year

It was in January - so it wasn't in prime mtn bike season - but I was worried about getting "out of shape".

After surgery (1 plate & 5 screws) I was in a walking cast 2 weeks later.

My Doctor said I could exercise just DON'T twist the ankle in any way, shape or form for 6 weeks.

With the walking cast I was able to spend time on a spin bike and I would use the rowing machine too. (no twisting going on there) After a couple of weeks I even got brave and spent some time riding outside on the road bike using a flat pedal.

I just focused on keeping up some kind of cardio fitness and watched everything I ate. i didn't want to gain weight since i was sitting around alot.

Good luck!