Thread: Coming home

mtbr member

Coming home

I was directly across the street from my neighborhood last night, around 10:30, coming back from a long ride. Crossing the street, a lady makes a U-turn; I had thought she was turning left so I turned out of the way, unbeknown st to me she was making a U-turn and ended up clipping my rear wheel. I was still grounded so I was trying to pedal away from it but I ended up losing the bike and falling about 6 feet in front of the car. I rolled over and stood up immediately and looked her dead in her eyes as she was still dragging my bike at this point I tried to grab my bike while she was still in motion and managed to pull it out from underneath. She never stopped!!! My rear wheel taco'd, so when I picked it up I proceeded to the middle of the road to avoid traffic and looked back and she was gone. I proceeded to push the bike home and because of the rear wheel not turning my tired wore down and popped the tube.

Luckily, I walked away form the accident w/ less than a minor scrape on my elbow. The sucky part ..... I just put new wheels on the bike yesterday. They weren't anything special but the idea of spending the money that I did, only to have to spend remotely as much for replacement today really put me in reverse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would file a police report for a hit and run driver...its important that you remember what she looked like and a good description of the car....her insurance should cover your bike and she should probably go to jail as well

mtbr member
    Absolutely file a police report IMO. If you looked her dead in the eyes then there is no way she didn't know she had clipped you, so good case for a hit and run.

Hope the injuries heal quickly and you get back on the horse soon.

mtbr member
    The bike isn't worth anything and I already have another bike on the way. I picked up another rim today so I'm already trail'n.

Double-metric mtb man
    Even so, file the police report. The mere fact she hit you (making a U-Turn to boot!) and kept driving says loads about her....I don't want her doing that to a kid (who might not be able to get clear or pull his/her bike out) in the future.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    That's the problem in Florida ... U-turns are legal unless otherwise posted.