mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Coming back from a PCL surgery

Just curious if there were any riders that had a PCL reconstruction and how long it took them to get back to their per-surgery cycling shape. Background: I tore my PCL (grade 3), Tib plateau fracture, and a interior meniscus root tear in July of 2010 while playing Ultimate Frisbee. I had surgery to repair the tib fracture 3 weeks after the incident and was non weight bearing for a total of 11 weeks... Fast forward two years... I pick up mtb riding and racing since I am unable to run and although am not fast have completed races at distances at 70 miles off road in the mountains of CO.

I now have a new doctor who is recommending that I do a PCL reconstruction surgery this fall to tighten up the knee mechanics and prevent future knee wear. He clams that the recovery is similar to ACL and would not require extended periods of non weight bearing. He claims the full recovery is 6 to 9 months...

Has anyone else had this surgery (or ACL) and tried to come back in decent shape for the next season? How long till you were able to start putting miles on the trainer and then getting on the road/trail?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm curios as well. I have a MCL that might need tighting up.
    I too had a tibal plateau fracture in may 2010. 19 wks non-weight bearing. 2 plates,16 screws.

Sent using BOTH my thumbs