NATE CORE

Coming back from injury

So, I just took my first REAL dh ride today after being in the hurt locker since October.
    Man! am I out of shape and it is frustrating as hell. I feel like I've never ridden a bike before.My legs hurt, my hands hurt, I banged my bad foot so that hurts... Its like I'm 75 yrs old.Almost 6 months is a long time to be out and it just showed me how much strength my body has lost.

How long has it taken people to get back to shape?
    I have physical therapy and just started back on my old workout program.
    you like dags??

Double-metric mtb man
    It takes a while. I try to ride over the winter, but don't generally get much more than 15% of the monthly summer distances under the wheels when the snow has started to fly.

I find it generally takes about 6-8 weeks to get back into a form where I can consider doing some of my longer rides (1/2 c and longer). Take it slow man...if you're going to PT, you likely have a lot more healing and rebuilding to do from your injury before you should be considering "going big." Make sure that you PT knows what you like to do for riding and see if he/she can help you work towards getting back into it at the same time.

In all honesty, set a goal of the middle of the summer and do the work/exercises that your PT sets up for you. Last thing you want to do is to shortcut, get hurt again and be laid up for even longer.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

NATE CORE
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    It takes a while. I try to ride over the winter, but don't generally get much more than 15% of the monthly summer distances under the wheels when the snow has started to fly.

I find it generally takes about 6-8 weeks to get back into a form where I can consider doing some of my longer rides (1/2 c and longer). Take it slow man...if you're going to PT, you likely have a lot more healing and rebuilding to do from your injury before you should be considering "going big." Make sure that you PT knows what you like to do for riding and see if he/she can help you work towards getting back into it at the same time.

In all honesty, set a goal of the middle of the summer and do the work/exercises that your PT sets up for you. Last thing you want to do is to shortcut, get hurt again and be laid up for even longer.
    Thanks for the reply Mike, I was thinking that it might be smarter for me to ride more XC while I heal up. Most of the reason I lost so much strength was due to a bout of ulcerative colitis.... and it was brutal. I lost 30 lbs in a month, then I started to get better and jacked my foot up. I feel that patience is going to be the key here.
    you like dags??

sixsixtysix
    I feel your pain. I am going through the same thing. Destroyed my knee in October, surgery in December, PT for the last 14 weeks. Just got released by the Dr on Monday, back on the bike for my 5th ride on dirt since the surgery yesterday after not touching a bike for the last 3 weeks.

I was so frustrated, I realize my knee will never be the same, and my leg has a long way to go to get its strength back, but I couldn't breathe, my arms hurt, my ass hurt, it was one of the worst rides I have had on a bike. But I also know that its going to be a long slow process of recovery and that I should be happy that I am even riding at all at this point.

Thats what you need to keep in mind. Let your body tell you what it wants to do, don't force it to do what you want, you will only prolong your recovery. Go out, ride if you feel up to it, if its 2 miles or 20 enjoy it, take it slow and it'll start coming back. Remember, its "just like riding a bike"

Trip the Bike Fantastic

first post-injury ride - 1 mile felt like 100

Quote Originally Posted by n8whitie
    So, I just took my first REAL dh ride today after being in the hurt locker since October.
    Man! am I out of shape and it is frustrating as hell. I feel like I've never ridden a bike before.My legs hurt, my hands hurt, I banged my bad foot so that hurts... Its like I'm 75 yrs old.Almost 6 months is a long time to be out and it just showed me how much strength my body has lost.
    I'm in the same boat here, and it just feels good to vent with other people experiencing the same thing. I went from being in very good shape to getting winded walking up a flight of stairs. Two months off a bike, and still in pain from broken ribs and bruised organs. I took my little girl to the neighborhood park today in the townie&trailer. This was my first time on a bike since the accident. Exhausted on the flats, my arms are like matchsticks, my legs quaking the tremors after a quarter mile.

I think psychomike has it right - just taking it easy and playing it day to day is best. But so hard to keep positive and upbeat when I feel like crap, and hard to not push too hard and hurt myself again. I think I need an attitude adjustment! How to be content cruising slow when every bit of my body wants to be up the mountain? spring has sprung and the trails are velcro.

what motivates people to keep true to a recovery program and find satisfaction and even enjoyment in those baby step rides back to health?

mtbr member
    Everybody, I feel your pain! Injuries suck! I had surgery for a herniated disc back in early October. The eight week period of inactivity between surgery and the start of PT was definitely a difficult time in my life. I put on a good 15 lbs. from being a couch potato (against my will, of course), and mentally, i was becoming a basket case. Once PT started, things started to improve significantly. After my core strengthened and became more stable, a progressive workout program was put into my daily routine. Just because the back and legs muscles are interconnected, lower body strength and stability exercises have been a big emphasis. I was released by the doc. three weeks ago and given the ok to resume normal activity. After a few weeks of easy riding on the fireroads here in So Cal, I had my first tough ride yesterday with some steep climbs and rocky descents. Happy to say my body feels great today! It's been a long road (over three years off the bike), and I'm so excited to be riding again! It also helps that I'm cruising around on a new Yeti 575 as well.
    All I can say is to keep up with the rehab and gym workouts. Listen to your body as well! It never lies to you! Be patient with getting back into the sport, and things will be good in no time!

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    Thanks for the pickup. Three years is way more than I've had to deal with. Suppose I should consider myself lucky and enjoy the moments I can get - trusting they'll get bigger as I get stronger. Come to think of it, gliding down my street with the little one laughing behind me was as close a feeling to freedom as anything.

Back home, sit down and patch my bones, and just keep truckin' on.