mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Collarbone Surgery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has any one here ever gone through collarbone surgery (plating or pining) of the collarbone? If so how was the outcome? I may have to have mine done, it has been six weeks since my break and no new bone growth as of yet. I am really getting tired of just sitting and watching the world go by. Seems to me after six weeks I need to get this resolved. not to mention I still have pain at the break.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bump

My collarbone is still in one piece but I can't believe no one's replied to your thread. How's it doing?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yep I did about 3yrs ago now. I had 3cm distance between the 2 pieces. Doctors made me wait about 6 weeks because they said it would heal. Not HMO docs trying to save money either, I have really good ins. They prefer not to do surgery and let it heal as most do. Anyway yes I had plate appox 5-6" and 6 screws and a bone graft from my hip to put it back together. Healed real fast after that and hip hurt worse that the whole collarbone ordeal. Back to normal in about 2months and have crashed on it a few times. It is 50/50 as to the hardware staying or going. I elected to keep it for now because I do not want to opened up again. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

trying to decide myself

I'm trying to decide myself. I am on week 5 of recovery, mine broke in two places with 1.7cm displacement between the two ends. The middle piece is 2cm long and at a 45 degree angle right in the middle of the clavicle. I have a nice big bump where the bone is displaced.

Doc #1 said no surgery, last week I saw a second doc (who runs his own ortho clinic) who recommended surgery. Hard to tell if he's saying that because he stands to make a big profit off of it. Towards the end he seemed to be saying it's my choice, and I'd heal ok without surgery so I am leaning against it now. It remains to be seen if I'll have a disunion or not. I do think I'm on track as far as recovery, I can even go running pain-free on the treadmill now and use my left hand to carry light things. Still can't reach up above 90 degrees or carry anything more than 2lbs.

Anyone who opted for no surgery having any complications now? How bad is the bump, do backpacks, seatbelts etc hurt after a while? They hurt like hell right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had a plate and 5 screws put in last spring. I was in quite a bit of pain before surgery, but almost none afterwards. I still have the plate in place. Sometimes the plate is anoying (seatbelts, ect...). Dr. has left it up to me if I want the plate removed or not. I am not sure. I too have crashed several times afterwards with no ill effects. Good luck.