mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Collarbone issue

Recently rode into a tree (2 weeks ago now) and took a pretty hard blow with my right arm/shoulder area. Iíve had an xray and confirmed that my collarbone wasnít broken but still have some pain and swelling. The swelling is for about an inch, vertically down from the collarbone joint with the sternum and just feels like a lump. I have full range of movement but if I try and push away from my body it hurts, tolerable at waist level to very painful high up. The pain is worse the higher I hold my arm, stretching a t-shirt to get it on for example is quite painful. Iím taking ibuprofen and hoping to get to a physio soon but just wondering if the collective minds have any idea?

psycho cyclo addict
    Sounds as though you've made your sterno clavicular joint unhappy. Quite common to crunch something that makes up high arm movement painful. Could take months to heal depending on what you did... with the swelling my non-doc opinion is you definitely strained/sprained it (Xray won't give you much info on tissue damage). The right side of mine where it connects to the sternum still clicks and occasionally is sore after a long rocky ride, a couple years after I separated my shoulder by endo-slamming into the ground. Good luck healing up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks, sounds like i'll have to convert the AM bike to more cross country style for a while and rest it. Frustrating though, damn i hate injuries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seems i've super luxated/laxated my top rib so the end is sticking up next to the collarbone joint. Stretching doesn't seem to be pulling it back into place so its off to see the orthapedic surgeon :-(