VIP
    Jun 2006

Cold recovery (brrrr)

Not exactly a broken bone this one but anyway..

Went out training on Wednesday morning, it was surprisingly cold out, after I'd got back I started getting the early signs of a cold - slight lack of energy/headache/occasional light cough but without a snotty nose or sore throat(they always seem to come afterwards for me).
    Thursday I rested, drank a gallon or five of cranberry juice for the vit C, dosed myself up on 'micro-gel nasal spray' and popped a few Echinacea tablets - no idea if any of this helps really but it's worth a shot right?
    By Friday afternoon none of the other symptoms have come through, still no sore throat etc and after the rest day yesterday the lack of energy has gone, and after a fair distance road ride just now (spinning) I feel fine, felt good on the hills too.
    So to finally get at what I'm asking is - since the cold never really developed should I be racing on Sunday (expert, 2hours-ish)?
    I've been thinking that I've just worried myself into getting some symptoms without actually having a real cold - the sunday is a national points scoring race and because of injury earlier in the season I've not been able to make it to many races so I've been pressuring myself to make sure I'm in perfect shape for this race over the past few weeks. Any advice or "you'll be fine" encouragement will be greatly appreciated

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    I'd do it. I've had this happen -- think you're getting something and you get the jump on it and it goes away -- it never comes back after that. I'm sure you're in the clear. Echinacea is good stuff. They used to make something called "Atomic Echinacea". Don't know if they still make it but that would knock anything out in a few hours. It was amazing. If you find some, grab it.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for it.