mtbr member
    Aug 2007

clipless pedal knee pain Qs

After 2 or so hours my toes would go numb on one foot. I had read somewhere that this was a cleat adjustment issue and to move the cleat all the way back. Well my knee which has never had pain started hurting on the side closest to the bike. Mid- ride I couldn't take it any more and adjusted the cleat forward a bit. The pain was less but aggrevating. What should I do deal with numb toes. The pedals have plenty of float they're crank bros.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marathonracer4
    After 2 or so hours my toes would go numb on one foot. I had read somewhere that this was a cleat adjustment issue and to move the cleat all the way back. Well my knee which has never had pain started hurting on the side closest to the bike. Mid- ride I couldn't take it any more and adjusted the cleat forward a bit. The pain was less but aggrevating. What should I do deal with numb toes. The pedals have plenty of float they're crank bros.
    Go to a good bike shop that you trust. Get fitted on your bike. This should also include cleat positioning. It could be side to side, or even fore/aft positioning of the cleats. Mine have to be positioned EXACTLY otherwise I get knee pain too.

I've only ridden with Shimanos, and they have a decent amount of float. So I have no idea about Crank Bros. If float is an issue, look at the Speedplays.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    This could be anything from fore/aft positioning (as said), toe-in versus toe-out, saddle position, seatpost height... there's so many variables.

Hell, even using the wrong cleats in the wrong pedals can mean a difference of 1.5cm in cleat position (which I found out the hard way when I switched from Shimano to XPedo pedals but kept the Shimano cleats).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I went for a 20 mile ride this last sunday. I had similer problems except my knee swelled up overnight to the size of a cantalope. Doc said miniscus pinch, luckly he is a cyclist his sugestion is to move up the seat height and move the seat back a little to take pressure off the knee. Hard leson learned.