mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Cleared a tabletop - without my bike!

Went for a spin round Brechfa Forest yesterday. The trails were good and the ride was flowing despite the weather we've had. Came to the 4 tabletops at the end and on the last one this happened:

Tabletop Crash, Brechfa - YouTube

Pretty luck really, head and left shoulder took impact but only bruising and a bit of a skinning of the left knee - should be back on the bike within the next week or two, can't raise the left arm as muscle strain but don't think recovery will be long.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    I have been so, so close to doing exactly the same thing on those tabletops! Made even more dangerous by the speed you can hit them at! The brown pants moment was well worth the trails though! hope you get back on the bike soon!

mtbr member
    Good luck, quick healing and may it just be a minor ding as shoulder injuries requiring surgery suuuuuuuuuuck (great crash btw)
    Alea Jacta Est

Warrior's Society
    I thought when I crashed and could lift my arm, it was only a strain....for a couple of days. Turns out I broke the top of the humerus, and it was the discomfort of the rotator cuff pulling on the broken bone.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    hmmm im starting to wonder if it is just strain of the muscle - not really improving. Im not in great discomfort but trying to extend the upper arm out is really painful - what was the treatment for a broken humerous by the rotator cuff - presumably just sling it up and wait to heal?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewoodsuk View Post
    hmmm im starting to wonder if it is just strain of the muscle - not really improving. Im not in great discomfort but trying to extend the upper arm out is really painful - what was the treatment for a broken humerous by the rotator cuff - presumably just sling it up and wait to heal?

That was the initial treatment.....if it didn't displace in the first 2-3 weeks it would more than likely heal on its own.

Mine displaced in the first week......so a plate and 9 screws later it was repaired. Then 12 weeks of PT.

Mine didn't hurt as well...was never in any pain.....but I know something was wrong when I couldn't reach up to grab the steering wheel in the car.

Cleared a tabletop - without my bike!-photo1.jpg

Cleared a tabletop - without my bike!-028.jpg

Cleared a tabletop - without my bike!-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    You had a serious FOOSH (falling on out stretched hands) there!
    Muscle strain? Maybe

I'd be wondering about ligament damage in your shoulder(s).
    Could be bone... but if you can, you should get an appointment to see a doc and probably get x-rays.

There's no way anyone here can say for sure what you've done to your arm/shoulder, but looking around this site you'll find plenty of examples of what CAN happen to that area of your body.

Look at this thread also... shoulder injuries are quite common in this sport, btw.
    Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)

Prime
    Good advice wsmac.

In my experience, it usually takes a couple of days for the worst of the crash caused discomfort to set in.

Confused
    @Mtnbikej

Wow, I did the same thing. Winter Park, Rainmaker, tabletops,5th one over shot the landing. Right shoulder with literally the same injury. This was Aug. 19th. I just now almost have full rotation above 90 degrees. I was back on my bike a month later. Just to keep some sort of physical fitness. Doctor said I was supposed to sit on my butt during that time. Yes I took a risk and rode and tried to stay out of my sling to avoid frozen shoulder. Honestly when it happened I thought I had just dislocated it and popped it back in. Went to work a full day before going to the hospital. They were really worried the muscle would pull that cap off. Now on rides if I hit a real steep nose down drop and it jerks. It's a little painful to say the least but it is still healing up great according to the doc's.
    Heal up well, keep pushing. I know how much of an aggravating injury it is.
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by 00frontier00 View Post
    @Mtnbikej

Wow, I did the same thing. Winter Park, Rainmaker, tabletops,5th one over shot the landing. Right shoulder with literally the same injury. This was Aug. 19th. I just now almost have full rotation above 90 degrees. I was back on my bike a month later. Just to keep some sort of physical fitness. Doctor said I was supposed to sit on my butt during that time. Yes I took a risk and rode and tried to stay out of my sling to avoid frozen shoulder. Honestly when it happened I thought I had just dislocated it and popped it back in. Went to work a full day before going to the hospital. They were really worried the muscle would pull that cap off. Now on rides if I hit a real steep nose down drop and it jerks. It's a little painful to say the least but it is still healing up great according to the doc's.
    Heal up well, keep pushing. I know how much of an aggravating injury it is.

A year and a half later there are no lingering effects on my shoulder. I do have minor limited range of motion......mostly trying to reach into my jersey back pocket.

I spend most of my time riding a SS, so I tend to torque on the bars quite a bit. Feels great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ouch! Looked painful...

RideDirt
    Your lucky , i had a crash that kind of went that way but a lot harder and faster lol .. I ended up with a separated R AC and fractured my scapula in 3 different areas.. 6 months of PT , got my range and motion back and some strength ..

I would get it checked out , better safe then sorry .

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ouch. I did the same thing last April resulting in a grade 3 AC separation....but the mental scars are deeper and I crawl over the tabletop I did it on now. Question: What caused the over the bars rotation? I'm still a bit confused why I found myself going over the bars in a forward rotation like this when I crashed. Is it a case of dead sailor since you are carrying so much speed that you don't actively jump the bike?

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceX View Post
    Ouch. I did the same thing last April resulting in a grade 3 AC separation....but the mental scars are deeper and I crawl over the tabletop I did it on now. Question: What caused the over the bars rotation? I'm still a bit confused why I found myself going over the bars in a forward rotation like this when I crashed. Is it a case of dead sailor since you are carrying so much speed that you don't actively jump the bike?
    Well reason mine happened was " last run " LOL .. BUt honestly i was so beat and tired from doing runs all day long , about 6 -7 hours .. I approached the table faster then usual , dead sailored it big time .. Didnt pump off the lip like i was suppose to , didnt pull up on the bars either lol .. As soon as i came off the lip i knew i was crashing , so i tried pushing my weight back to lower the rear end but nose took a dive and threw me off on the other end of the tabletop .. I could of easily saved it if i had pushed my feet down and pulled up on the front end but sh*t happens

Climbs = necessary evil
    Doing a "superman" crash - arms extended taking the impact of the landing, can result in server rotator cuff damage, as both my wife and I have experienced. Mine was 20 yrs ago and her's was last June. Depending on the severity of the damage it can be weeks of rest and limited mobility to major surgery and 6-8 months of PT.

I see this thread is about a month old. Any update on the diagnosis?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nasty, good luck with your recovery!
    P

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Well reason mine happened was " last run " LOL .. BUt honestly i was so beat and tired from doing runs all day long , about 6 -7 hours .. I approached the table faster then usual , dead sailored it big time .. Didnt pump off the lip like i was suppose to , didnt pull up on the bars either lol .. As soon as i came off the lip i knew i was crashing , so i tried pushing my weight back to lower the rear end but nose took a dive and threw me off on the other end of the tabletop .. I could of easily saved it if i had pushed my feet down and pulled up on the front end but sh*t happens
    OK, thanks. Good luck on your recovery.