Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clavicle FX, ? 2nd opinoin

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  trodaq 
#1 ·
I had a pretty good spill 2 weeks ago. Loss of conciouness x 3min. Many bumps and bruises. The worst being a fractured r clavicle. However the most significant pain I have is in my r scapula and humerous. Happened in Stowe Vt. ER Dr states clavicle was "smashed" and would need surgical repair.On monday, went to my primary for a referal to an orthopod. Appt with orthopod on wednesday. Re xray incl r scapula and humerous. Ortho sts no need for surgery, Scapula and humerous intact. Unable to wear a sling due to inrease pain. Suggest I just take it easy for 6-10 weeks with a follow up appt in 6 weeks.
2 days later I feel a shift and a pop. Repeat xrays w/o changes. Opinoin the same as far as treatment. I know that clavicle fractures are left to heal in many cases. Im just thinking I should prob get a second opinion. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
Have the disc from orig xray. Cant figure out hows to copy.Break is about 1/3 of the length of the clavicle away from sternal end . When bone broke it broke in on itself. As outer portion of the bone drove in it forced the inner portion to splay out like a tulip

#6 ·
For you following the edge of your seat drama knows as my life lately. I went and got a 2 nd opinion . More so for the scapular pain and arm pain. Had a ct of my scapula and a full rib panel. Both were done at New England Baptist Boston . This was yesterday. They called me this am to say the reason your scapula hurts is its broken. The reason your arm hurts is we found a bone piece floating around in your shoulder and your bicep is misshaped. It's possible you have a bone avulaion could you drive up and get an MRI . "Sure when?" Uh now.
Although I know the injuries were far worse than I thought I'm feeling good cause now things will be treated simultaneously.
That is all for now.

#8 ·
Funny you should ask. I'm regretting not pushing for surgery. I feel pretty good just walking around and light stuff. Scapula is way off kilter and Im haviing rotator cuff pain I think I think this is caused by a drastically changed geometry due to a shotened clavicle. Also, if I raise my right arm above my head at shoulder width I feel a sharp pain. At the end of the day I feel a little torn up. I just realized the muscle is riding over the collar bone like the other side. Unfortunately there's a large mass of bone from the fracture. I can only assume its the sharp edges that are causing the pain.
Dont know if it can be repaiared at this point since I assume the bones have started to fuse and will now be to short. Follow up appt on 11/26. Hopefully there's good news

#9 ·
Update 12/28. Just today I was cleared to start PT. Problems are ongoing as stated above. Gonna see how the PT goes. I just need to get back to work. If the problems persist and I finally have surgery, Its going to have to wait till I can accrue some paid time off.
This has been a 3 month ordeal so far. Never would have bet that when I was released from the ER 2 hours after my crash. Another downside is Ive gained 10+ lbs substituting pedal strokes with chewing. Upside is Im going to start ight rides to get back in the game!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.