Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr dismember

Update

Don't overdo it! Rest for a few months if you have to. Yes, that will be very difficult. But I let mine go for too long and today I had to schedule total knee replacements for both knees. More details here: I'm going bionic

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I had a chrondomalacia diagnosis quite a few years ago. I never notice it whem mtn biking, only hiking or backpacking (same with a hamstring problem). Maybe because I rarely pedal much with a lowered seat -- just drop it occasionally for long rough downhills. When hiking, especially downhill, I use a "kneestrap" -- mine's made by Mueller, got it from the drugstore -- but I think the Cho-Pat brand may have invented it. It's a single strap that goes below the knee and seems to stabilize the kneecap tracking. Worth trying.

I was diagnosed with p-f syndrome just before I hit 18. I was put on a strict regimen of physical therapy for 6 months afterwards. Prior to diagnosis, I had played soccer for the majority of my life, and I had to give up soccer. I would say that it took about 2-3yrs for my knees to mend up to a useable level. Biking actually seemed to help me to some degree. I still get occasional soreness, but it's never enough that I need to take meds. I take chondroitin/glucosamine to help out. Since my knees aren't that bad anymore, I can really only say that any benefits I get from it are pretty moderate.

But, I really cannot run anymore...half an hour of soccer really hurts. I tried aikido once about a year ago, and my knees were sore for days afterwards. All the kneeling just killed me.

I have to say that adequate stretching seems to help my knees out to some degree. Sometimes, even massaging the area around my kneecap helps when I have soreness. Not sure if that points to a condition different than the one I was diagnosed with or not, but it helps me a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well I go back to see the Doc on Thursday. I also have an appointment with an ortho surgeon in June. I'm really depressed because in place of a planned bike tour, I'm planning on thru-hiking the Colorado Trail in July, but just hiking a few miles is hurting the leg. I feel screwed. Goddamned knee. This is like the sixth month of depression. I feel like a cripple.

mtbr dismember

Stop these activities!

From what I gather you are still trying to ride and hike? If so then stop doing so. I know exactly what you are going through and I certainly sympathize with you. But wait to see what the doctor says. It could just be inflammation and every time you ride you make it worse and prevent healing. If the doctor says lay off for "X" months then listen to him/her. The doctor still has many options to try. Cortisone injections might help. Synvisc worked for me for three years until I appeared to become allergic to it. Next would probably be arthroscopic surgery, which might easily fix the problem. I've had plenty of those and you are walking around the next day.

But until you see the doctor lay off the biking, hiking, or anything that hurts. Also be sure to ask around in your area about orthopedists who know about such problems. For years doctors have been taking X-rays of my knees and saying "plenty of cartilage left". A new orthopedist got right to the problem with MRIs. Unfortunately, it was way too late for me. There is absolutely no cartilage left under either patella. So don't be as foolish as me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I've actually been off the bike for about two months now. I've also been taking a prescription anti-inflamatory two times a day and icing the knee at least three times a day for the same amount of time. I've always felt like a strong walker, but just a couple more miles than normal (even with a strong neoprene brace) is kicking my ass. I'll post back after my appointment tomorrow.

On a side note, I'm going to start swimming laps daily, so that'll probably help... if only a little.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    MRI Scheduled for early next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Alrighty, time for another update: Had an MRI taken a few weeks ago that revealed a pretty decent knee, just some swelling around the bone and an irritated joint where the patella isn't tracking straight. My sports medicine doctor recomended I become more active and start back on the bike as much as possible. For about a week I rode about two miles a day without any pain. I began stretching again and doing light physical therapy exercises. I also began walking about three miles a day with a 25-30 pound pack on (training for Colorado Trail Thru-Hike). This past Thursday I hiked a solid fifteen miles on rough and tumble trails with a heavy pack, and again no pain. The very next day I biked about 4.5 miles down to the coffee shop and back... so about 9 miles total, and sure enough the knee swelled up a little and a slight pain was felt in the knee cap. So I take it easy and only bike the usual 2 miles the next day with absolutely no pain, again the next day with no pain. Today I went to visit a renowned ortho surgeon who seemed pretty optimistic, just gave me a Cortisone injection into the inflamed area of the joint. So hopefully I'll have a clean slate to start back up with light bicycle riding and physical therapay in a day or two. I'm just determined to take it easy for a while and get that inner quad firing like I'd been succesful doing with my left knee.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So bumping this, I have the same condition developed after a twist/hyperextension of my knee last year when I was really ramping up my traning. How did it go for you, anyone beat it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertailz View Post
    So bumping this, I have the same condition developed after a twist/hyperextension of my knee last year when I was really ramping up my traning. How did it go for you, anyone beat it?
    Thats a bump alright.
    Five years on and my PF problems are gone. Not sure why, but its good!
    Still go to the Gym and do leg press exercises, only ride once a week at the moment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Serious bump!
    My knee issues actually improved slowly and I was able to begin running more in addition to cycling. Worked up to long runs of 5 or 6 miles with no knee issues....until I took a really bad step off of a curb about 2 months ago and really stressed my knee. Old issues flared back up so I am starting over with rest and ice. Once pain is gone I will start strengthening exercises again and see if I can get back where I was. For me the PT exercises, done consistently eventually solved the issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice to hear that, I have a pretty severe case (not resting enough in the beginning, bad PT etc) But I guess it's possible to beat. My OS says so at least, just trying to find hope from people who did. =)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had knee surgery in 86 from a side knee dislocation in wrestling. I have had crondomalasia or pf ever since, what works for me that I have only discovered in the last 5 years is. Misaligned hips can cause the knee to not track properly , side to side exersizes on a multi hip machien strengthens and stabilizes your knee ,walking and running barefoot or in minimal shoes. avoid locking out your knee, fish oil and hammer joint and tissue rejuvinator, cross training train like a tiathlete. When I was 22 I was med droped from udt/seal training. Last june I did the dixie 200 on a rigid single speed. There are probably some other things that may help but I can't think of them. Good luck and don't give up. Jason.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys, there is some hope I guess. Mine started after a patella sublux aswell, gave me some minor cartillage damage behind my kneecap... knee gets sore like always and I'm studying to be a police officer here in Swedem wich is my long life dream. The OS says it will be good and I he doesn't think I have to drop out of school but it's hard to belive when you walk with a limp.... This really is a strange issue.... but doing light biking now atleast, no resistance and about 80-90rpm. More for getting circulation in the knee.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi all,
    I was just diagnosed with chondromalacia patallae via MRI. The doctor mentioned arthroscopic surgery. Has anyone had this surgery? How was the recovery?

I would love to hear more from anyone suffering from CP

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi javelion.

I have had multiple knee surgeries for chonfromalacia and there are several different operations that can be done with varying levels of success. A good place to go for info would be this forum :

KNEEgeeks - Index

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2