mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Chondromalacia and crank arms: 30" inseam w/ 175mm

I recently developed what seems like chondromalacia. It's only in the right knee on the inside edge of the knee cap. After doing a lot of research, it seems that my seat is a adjusted properly. I plan on doing a FIT ck this weekend. Also, I think I need to bring my feet closer to the seat post so I am going to adjust my cleats a tad outboard.

Another concern is that maybe my crank arms are to long. I'm 5'9 @ 200lbs w/ a 30" inseam. I currently have 175mm. Could this be irritating my knee as well. I ride a medium spider 29er with about 120 miles of saddle time. I used to ride a Medium 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper w/ 175mm crankarms for more miles than I can count(Pre-Strava).

I know I need to see a Dr. and PT as well. Any other thoughts?

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Chondromalacia and crank arms: 30" inseam w/ 175mm

I had it for a couple years, and checked all the boxes you are.

I don't think it's cranks, 175mm is pretty standard for 5' 9"

It's all about strengthening without aggravating, and, retraining your quad to be balanced. I had a tight it band and a weak vmo (the inner, bulbous part of your quad), so using a roller helped loosen the it band. You'll need to learn to move thoughtfully, activating the side of your quad which is weak and over compensating for it.

But I will tell you above all else what finally solved it was what's called McConnell taping. Check it out on YouTube and your PT can show you in person. It just tapes the knee cap back into position, so that you can work the quad and strengthen it. I Seriously try this first, I wish I had. Whenever it comes back, one ride with it taped fixes it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I guess I have a hard time thinking my quads are weak. I'm a "gym rat" M-F religiously. I do legs on Wednesdays which include squats. Not half-reps either; I go deep. I saw tidbits about McConnell taping, but I'll look further into it. Thanks.

> /dev/null 2&>1

OK good then it's not that they're weak overall , it's that one side pulls harder than the other, pulling the patella to the inboard side or the outboard side, so that it rubs on its sleeve and irritates it.

I assume you got a chrondromalasia diagnosis, if not its possible it is actually a couple other things that require different rehab techniques.

If it is chrondromalasia, do you have pain when you do the deep squats? How wide is your stance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    It's not that they're weak overall , it's that one side pulls harder than the other, pulling the patella to the inboard side or the outboard side, so that it rubs on its sleeve and irritates it.
    Ah...this past leg day I incorporated some fwd and reverse lunges. I read somewhere that this will help strengthen stabilization muscles.

cent frum my fone so don't cumplane about spelling or grammer

> /dev/null 2&>1

Sorry you got me while I was editing

Did you a chrondromalasia diagnosis, if not its possible it is actually a couple other things that require different rehab techniques.

If it is chrondromalasia, do you have pain when you do the deep squats? How wide is your stance?

But yes lunges are good as long as they don't hurt and also light squats with balance pads like these

http://www.discountmedicalsupplies.c...hI-sj3Xc_D_BwE

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

No actual medical diagnosis yet. Gonna make an appt in the morning.

No pain when squatting or lunges. Feet are a tad wider than shoulder.

I also do air squats on a bosu ball as well with no pain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Saw the Dr today. Good news is it is not chondromalacia yet. Bad news is i have to stay off the bike for 6 weeks. He said i need to stretch my quads and strengthen my hams.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Bummer on the 6 weeks but that's really good news, full chondro is a long nagging process. Good luck with the 6 weeks!

Vitamin Bike Added
    I was recently diagnosed with bilateral patellar tendonosis and "suspected" chondromalacia bilaterally. I had bilateral MRI and the subpatellar cartilage did not show a defect but I've seen two orthopods who both explained that early cartilaginous softening may not have a detectable lesion on MRI. I have seen sports orthopods so they know what they are doing but I am fairly certain the condition started after falling backwards off the bike while riding a manual downhill then landing with heavy feet trying to decelerate while off balance- stressing the heck out of my knees. Initially I thought partial ACL tears or meniscal injury but that was cleared radiographically on the MRI (but of course small tears cannot be seen and hence ruled out).
    I have since accepted my problem is non surgical and started PT. I too am assuming to treat for what we KNOW which is the patellar tendonosis and tentative chondromalacia with stretching FOUR times daily, doing ASTYM (ask your PT), strenghthening excercises and foam roller. I am now 3.5 months from the initial injury and finally making progress but still can't ride. HOPE for 6 weeks my friend
    Keep the rubber side down