banned

Carpel Tunel Syndrome?

How many here get numb fingers due to riding?

My left hand pinky and ring finger are numb quite often (on and off the bike) - and recently my right hand has followed suit.

I know many use gloves with padding that isolates the carpel tunel nerve - but I don't generally ride with gloves - in order to keep my body temperature as low as possible.

Any other solutions are welcome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    How many here get numb fingers due to riding?

My left hand pinky and ring finger are numb quite often (on and off the bike) - and recently my right hand has followed suit.

I know many use gloves with padding that isolates the carpel tunel nerve - but I don't generally ride with gloves - in order to keep my body temperature as low as possible.

Any other solutions are welcome!
    If yo turn your palm facing up and slightly flex your hand you'll see a small band forming. This is called the flexor retinaculum which is a tendinous band that forms a TUNEL to hold the wrist tendons, nerves and blood vessels in place (small anatomy lesson). When either of the structures in the tunel grow because of inflamation, over work etc. they compete for space and they compress other structures. When nerves get compressed you get CTS. Pinky and ring finger symptoms (to be precise half ring ginger lengthwise) mean ulnar nerve compression. Before CTS is diagnosed you have to look at your everyday activities like computer work, repetitive flexion of wrist or fingers etc and then your position on the bike, overextended over the bike with an increased extension of your neck, bar reach/height. Assuming it's the bike take a flat non technical ride and "listen" to your wrists, neck and shoulders for complains. Personally, when I started MTB (many-many years ago) the shop put me on a L Iron Horse (I am 6.5) because the XL seemed too big to him. I don't have to tell you how my pinky felt until I decided to change the bike. And by the way, gloves and padding do nothing to protect from CTS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was getting this in my left hand - what solved it for me was to stop wearing my wedding ring while riding. I haven't had it develop in my right hand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by svtmike
    I was getting this in my left hand - what solved it for me was to stop wearing my wedding ring while riding. I haven't had it develop in my right hand.
    This proves a theory I had before I got married: the wedding ring is directly connected to the y chromosome and doesn't want to be on display.

KSC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Numbness in pinky and ring fingers mean you have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, not Carpal. Do a web search and you will get lots of information. I think this usually results from compression in the elbow, not the wrist (but not necessarily). As mentioned above, this affects the ulnar nerve, which is commonly known as the "funny bone". When you move your arm into full flexion, this nerve stretches quite a bit. One easy thing to try is to wrap your arm with a towel or elbow pad when you're sleeping to keep your arm straight, especially if you notice increased symptoms in the morning after sleeping. There are some stretches you can try that you'll find on the web as well.

Of course the best idea is to actually go to an orthopedist or physical therapist and be evaluated. You might also try finding a place that does professional bike fits if this occurs only while riding.

Good luck.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Pinky/ring parasthesias could also be Tunnel of Guyon syndrome.

I know many people who have had great luck by having Graston Technique treatments used on the cubital tunnel and Tunnel of Guyon. Might be worth looking into.