mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Can't grip so well with my right hand after long ride?

So I just recently got back into MT biking, living in Southern Orange County California we have a TON of trails to ride and I've been getting out there as much as I can the last 6 weeks or so.

I did a good 6-7 mile ride (Whiting Ranch) yesterday and today I did a solid 11 mile loop in my area. Both with lots of climbs and downhills.

After my ride I noticed that I'm having trouble with the grip in my right hand. There isn't any numbness or tingling, but I am having trouble articulating my index finger and thumb. I can't pinch very strongly (compared to my left) and I keep dropping things that I hold in my right hand (cell phone, keys, etc). I also noticed I can't push the pedestrian crossing button at a crosswalk.

Anyone ever go through this? I'm hoping that its just tired muscles that haven't been used in a while and maybe I overdid it going back-to-back on big-ish rides.

I ride a cannondale F5 with Dart 3 rock shox

mtbr member
    I'm going to bet mainly fatigue. Hand just isn't used to it yet. I has same issues when I started riding a few miles in shifting and braking control was crap on that hand. Cockpit fit helps but more fatigue than anything. Ur forearm is the muscles that support ur wrists as well as finger motions. Like anything if ur muscles are accustomed to the motions especially for long duration, they are going to wear out and stop working correctly. Give it time and work ur way up to riding so much. Last thing u need is that loss of muscle control at the wrong time.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Warrior's Society
    Some of it is just building up the muscles in your hand/wrist/arm.

Some of it could be how you have your bars/shifters/brake levers set up. You might be putting too much weight on your hands.

Some of it could be you having a death grip on the bars....learn to relax....you are not trying to strangle a chicken.

Some of it could be that you are running too much tire pressure...fork too stiff...hard uncomfortable grips.

Move your hands around one the grips....on the climbs, rest your thumbs on top of the grips.

Lots of variables.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thank you for your replies. I feel like I'm just the slightest bit paranoid nowadays. I'm not so much worried about immediate pain as I am with preventing long-term damage that won't heal.
    The only thing I notice about getting older is that minor aches and pains MIGHT be indicators of something bigger on the horizon.
    Thanks to you guys, I'm thinking this is just aches and pains from using muscles that haven't been used in quite some time.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I have aches and pains in elbows, hands and wrists from work but being the time spent dialing my cockpit, I find mtbing helpful, almost like physical therapy. Those areas feel better after a ride (unless its our new trails that are insanely rough atm). Not typical of course but it works that way for me.

Take the time to mess with cockpit set up and don't ride for so long. Give your body time to adjust and get a fit that's right for you. Ignore everything except what ur body tells you when it comes to bike set up. Ull find seat height, reach, bar height, bar sweep/rise angles all have affects too. But before changing parts right away (besides maybe grips or investing in good gloves) let ur body adjust to riding. Then dial things in.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So I wanted to give a follow up to this thread. I think I found the culprit. When I felt the desire to get back into mountain biking I told myself that I could buy a decent used bike for a couple hundred dollars, but I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't go pumping a ton of money into the hobby for at least a year. Other than a helmet and when things break I am trying not to spend a CENT until I am positive this is not something I am going to lose interest in.

In that vain I refused to buy purpose gloves, and instead was trying to make it work with some work gloves I found in my garage.
    Firm Grip General Purpose Work Gloves -XXLarge-2001XXL at The Home Depot
    Those are what I have been using. When I put them on today, I immediately felt the way they try to curl my fingers into a half fist. The palms are taut in order to prevent the glove from bunching up when you are picking things up. Great for work, not so much when trying to hold a finger on the brake lever. The glove was actively working against my finger and I think I was constantly pushing back against it on those 2 big rides last week and fatigued the muscles in my thumb and forefinger.

just thought that might be helpful in case anyone is running into a similar issue.