tko
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Calf injury with no cause or resolution

Too weird. Deep pain in my upper calf, stiffens when I sit, hobble for the first few minutes of walking. Feels like the aftermath of a massive cramp, or like someone hit calf w/a baseball bat. No trauma, no swelling, no bruise, nothing feels torn when massaged, but the muscle feels tight, like a balloon, compared to other side.

Injury came on w/o warning after an easy weekend, just hiking while on vacation. Heat doesn't help much, ice doesn't help much, very sore to deep massage (ouch!) I can run and bike after warming up, but sitting is killing me! No much better after two weeks.

Did I tear something internally? I wouldn't even know what kind of a doctor to see.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    just yesterday i started this thread: annoying injury/sprain?

it seems that i have the same injury as you do.. Deep pain in my upper left calf, that siffens up when i sit, and makes me hobble for the first few minutes of walking. Feels like a bad sprain. I've had it for a month and a half without improvement. Granted, i keep riding DH and dirt jumps, which i'm sure ain't helping, but i'm at a total loss, no idea what it is. Never had a sprain that lasted this long.

tko
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

sounds similar

Read your reply to my post. Yes, sounds similar, even to the part I didn't mention. My knee is kind of sore, with minor fluid build up. I did fall badly 3 weeks ago, but thought I escaped with no lasting effects. At any rate, cold compress around the knee and upper calf with some hot massages inbetween and stuff finally seems to be working. Try an ice pack around the knee, front and back. Today was the first time I didn't really notice it.

And I hear you about the doctor - don't even know which kind of doctor to go to. A sports doctor would tell me to rest and take aspirin - and I already know how to treat basic muscle injuries.

bleeding eventually stops

Gastrocnemius Strain/sprain

Not rocket science here....you pulled a muscle. Ice, elevate, compression dressing and REST. Ibuprofen can help as well. If you keep dirt jumping, it's not going to get better. Gimping around on it probably caused the hip pain. Could have pulled the Soleus, couldn't tell. Wouldn't matter as both get treated the same. That or you have a deep venous thrombus which is about to kick loose and give you a massive pulmonary embolism that could kill you. Take your pick.