Glad to Be Alive

Calcium and bones

I am having trouble healing from my bone graft for my wrist.. The doctor told me I didn't need any supplements, but I am realizing he was wrong.

and recommendations for pills or supplements to help bone growth
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 01-10-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Take supplements

I'm healing from a broken clavicle and was told by my doctor to take 2000mg of calcium+D per day. Seven weeks after surgery and it's working.

mtbr member

Bone healing

Don't smoke, quit if you are a smoker. Take a mulit vitamin, and cut out soda due to phosphorus that competes with the calcium.
    BoiseBoy

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    Don't smoke, quit if you are a smoker. Take a mulit vitamin, and cut out soda due to phosphorus that competes with the calcium.
    no smoking or soda drinker

was told to try Viactive??? anyone try these chewables

http://www.viactiv.com/products/inde.../softchews.inc
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 01-10-2008 at 10:05 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

banned
    Milk works.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Try not to be so old. Young bones heal a lot faster .

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    Try not to be so old. Young bones heal a lot faster .
    too late....I just turned 44 Jan 1st

conjoinicorned
    milk and soy milk contain both calcium and vitamin D, which is essential in allowing the absorption of calcium into the bones.

most calcium supplements don't contain vitamin D, so if you go that route make sure you pick up D supplements as well.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Soy milk goes through a process in which it is heated at an alarming temperature to rid it of bacteria, this normaly is not as big of a deal but soy milk contains other ingrediants that react to the heating and can cause cancer in the body. I stronly suggest NOT to drink soy milk. Stick with normal fat reduced milks. I try to drink 2-5 cups of milk a day.

MTB B'dos
    If I run into my uncle any time soon I'll ask what he takes - he's 77 now and had a broke leg about 8 years back and was healed up really fast with the help of some supplement that helps bone growth. I'll post back when I talk to him.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Calcium 600mg with vitamin D twice a day. Make sure that the calcium is elemental

You can buy it at Walgreens. At your age it would be a good idea to take this for the rest of your life.

good luck

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    too late....I just turned 44 Jan 1st
    I broke my wrist in Whistler 18 weeks ago and I'm a long way from hitting any jumps. 39.

banned
    I broke my wrist in Whistler 18 weeks ago and I'm a long way from hitting any jumps. 39.
    I'm 5 months on a distal radius break. Volar plate and 12 screws. I think it will take almost a year before I will be jumping. I can ride down some stairs now, and I can jerk the bike around a bit, but I am a long way away from anything that I want to do as well.

Milk works for me. I play guitar and have pretty long nails on one hand. Without my daily milk, they can be brittle, but with some daily milk, they are very flexible and healthy. I use other calcium supps sometimes, but nothing seems to work as well as the milk.

MTB B'dos
    Didn't talk to my uncle, but remember the name of the product - it was BONE KNIT. Don't know exactly what it had in, but he was up and at em in what seemed to be a very short space of time. Prob a hopped up calcium supplement, but worth a look - might be a British product.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DJskeet
    Soy milk goes through a process in which it is heated at an alarming temperature to rid it of bacteria, this normaly is not as big of a deal but soy milk contains other ingrediants that react to the heating and can cause cancer in the body. I stronly suggest NOT to drink soy milk. Stick with normal fat reduced milks. I try to drink 2-5 cups of milk a day.
    Got any evidence that soy milk causes cancer? I love soy milk. Real milk tastes like a petting zoo.

Glad to Be Alive
    oh yeah....this is how you ride Whistler after breaking your wrist
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Milk is Bad

To all of you milk drinkers, I did some research a while back and discovered drinking milk is very bad for your body. It actually contains chemicals that keeps the Calcium from being absorbed into your body. A couple of health group organizations want to actually ban it from our schools. It also contains alot of iodine, pasturizers us iodine to sterilize the containers during pasturization which goes into the milk. I am hyperthyroid so I have to watch my iodine intake so that's how I found this out.

If you drink alot of it and are worried or just plan currious, I'd do a Google search on it.

Remember, everything thing in moderation is OK

my $.02

David

mtbr member
    I broke my leg in July of 07. I started taking 1200mg of calcium + vitamin D and a multi-vitamin every day (actually I was taking the multi already). That along with a bone growth stimulator have helped my leg heal very well. I'm younger, which probably contributed to the healing, but I'm convinced that the other things helped as well.
    :wq

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB'n Louie
    To all of you milk drinkers, I did some research a while back and discovered drinking milk is very bad for your body. It actually contains chemicals that keeps the Calcium from being absorbed into your body. A couple of health group organizations want to actually ban it from our schools. It also contains alot of iodine, pasturizers us iodine to sterilize the containers during pasturization which goes into the milk. I am hyperthyroid so I have to watch my iodine intake so that's how I found this out.

If you drink alot of it and are worried or just plan currious, I'd do a Google search on it.

Remember, everything thing in moderation is OK

my $.02

David
    I call BS. Cite your sources. Don't just tell us to Google it.

I broke my wrist badly, and these things helped me heal:
    - Calcium pills
    - Milk (lots of it)
    - No soda
    - No alcohol

I'm 6 months from a broken wrist and the doc says he hasn't seen anyone heal as quickly. I'm 33, and don't heal as quickly as I used to either.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD