On MTBR hiatus :(

Buzz Bomb Remodel done / test new wheels w/o injury...

I recently completed a minor face lift / tummy tuck on my Buzz Bomb, which I posted on over in the Weight Weenie forum.

New rims (Mavic A719), front hub (WTB Laser Light) and crank (LX 751), plus a seatpost swap from last fall (Cane Creek Thudbuster ST), and the addition of a 31.8mm stem (Titec) & bar (Ritchey) earlier in '04.

Didn't manager to break the 30 pound mark with it -- in fact, I'm hovering right at 31 -- but managed to shave about a pound and a half in the process (in hindsight, should have went with the Alex TD-17).

On Saturday, our own Wish I Were Riding (John) got first dibs at working the kinks out of my new wheels, a perfect way to ensure I didn't hurt myself due to a sudden, explosive detensioning :P (I gave him fair warning that the rear wheel received a haphazard last minute re-dishing once I got it mounted in the bike the night before.)

It was also his first shot on a Speedhub and I think his first ride on a Thudbuster, so I hope he'll grace us with a ride report. I'd like to see what he ends up with on his eventual switch to big wheels?!?

John mentioned that the new Buzz Bomb pics are up at Van Dessel's site. Sadly, the signature orange paint is no more, but who says change is a bad thing? The FS version appears to employ a Horst link (no mention of total travel) and the EBB HT version is shown with a Rohloff Speedhub in the web shots.

New Van Dessel Buzz Bomb Hardtail w/ EBB & Speedhub

New Van Dessel Buzz Bomb Full Suspension

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Looks good -

Both of the new models look nice also, but the geo sheets have them BOTH listed with 17" chainstays. Is that possible? They sure look longer than that in the stock pics?

Just curious

Great price on the EBB hardtail w/ the WB 1.0 for sure!

LP

Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Both of the new models look nice also, but the geo sheets have them BOTH listed with 17" chainstays. Is that possible? They sure look longer than that in the stock pics?
    Yeah, I suppose that's a little short. My Buzz was somewhere shy of 18" stated, and of course that varies since the dropouts slide by about an inch. I noticed the Country Road Bob has some wierd CS numbers listed, too. I'll drop them an email.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for washing off all that cow Shite for me, and thanks for letting me ride her! Maybe 31lbs is why it felt so hard to pedal uphill... Naw, its cause I'm not in shape yet.

I had a blast giving it the shake down ride. I guess I should have been more scared about the bike holding up? I just like to jump on and ride, I'm mechanically retarded so I choose to be lucky.

I enjoyed the Rohloff Speedhub very much (even though the shifting was a bit gummy as you pointed out). I never really had much trouble shifting like I thought I might. I did get it stuck in high (or low or whatever) once, but it was easy to correct. Rohloff... very very tempting

I think the Thud ST worked really well. It took the edge off those F'ing uphill cow prints nicely. I'll get one if I get a 29er hardtail.

I've only used cheap v-brakes and Deore Hydrolics (which seems great). I thought that the lever action on the Avid disks was nice, and I would not shy away from getting those if I don't want to mess with hydros... Oh yeah, reversed brake levers are kinda scary!

Thumbs up for:
    Thud ST
    Rohloff Speedhub
    Avid Mech disks
    29er wheels
    (and for not breaking as a borrowed bike)

Thanks again for the test ride!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I should add that I'm smaller than Nate. I've got a 30" inseam, but the 19" Buzz frame seemed very comfortable the way it was set up. I'd need more standover if I got one though...

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I enjoyed the Rohloff Speedhub very much (even though the shifting was a bit gummy as you pointed out).

Oh yeah, reversed brake levers are kinda scary!

Thanks again for the test ride!!!
    Sorry about that shifting -- I'll need to take care of that before Sea Otter. Not the greatest first impression of a Speedhub when you give yourself blisters trying to twist the twister.

Funny -- my wife lectures me every time someone is going to ride one of our bikes, "Don't forget to warn them about the reversed brakes levers!" (I never think anything of it). Being Avid mechs, it's just a 2 minute job to switch the cables back and reset the barrel adjusters. Sorry, I blanked.

No problem, thanks to all four of you for waiting patiently for me at the tops of those climbs. I really needed to get back in the saddle.