mtbr member

No good busted my wrist...

Broke my radius and scaphoid the other day

I crossed my line carrying too much speed down a moto rutted descent, I think it was my handlebars jolt when I hit a berm sideways that broke my wrist, I landed on my head after that... but I donít know, thatís not really whatís important. My heads ok and my wrist isnít. So Iíve been reading up on scapoid fractures and things donít look to hot, months of recovery, possible surgery, arthritis, loss of grip and mobility of the wrist. Anybody else sustain this kind of injury? whatís the likelihood of complication? Treatment and rehabilitation?

Wear your helmets kiddies

Resident Curmudgeon
    broke my Radius in the same place

read this thread, it will answer a lot of questions

distal radius fracture--4 months later
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

scroll down a few threads

Check out "Scaphoid fracture" by Lobbydosser. You're going to need a doctor's and physical therapists' advice on this. Don't just ignore it. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hey panze. sorry to hear about your injuries. here's to a speedy recovery...

i broke my scaphoid a few years ago. i ended up having a cast for about 4-5 months along with an electronic "bone stimulator" (sounds dirty, eh!!??). i would wear this stimulator for a few hours during the day. kind of a pain in the a$$, but in the end, i think it helped out. i didn't opt for the surgery, although that may have led to a more speedy recovery. no rehab though. got the cast off, and just worked on getting my arm strength back. i don't notice any problems today. it may be a tad sore after a day's ride, but nothing at all serious. riding is absolutely no problem, and wasn't a problem right after i was healed.

sooo...that's my story. again, the surgery may be the way to go, but the non-surgery route also works.

best of luck. you'll be up and ridin' before you know it!!

cheers.

mtbr member
    93tankus oh boy first post, and who you callin panzy??

Electronic bone stimulator eh? hmm ill ask the doc about that one... so I take it your bone didnít go nonunion and healed back up then, was your break a simple little fracture or much worse? And 4-5 months gee, Iíve only had my splint on for thee days and I want to chew my frigin fingers off. I should get my cast on tues. and it really depends on what the orthopedist says, more x-rays, and some quality time in the lobby with Thatís So Raven and an issue of Newsweek should give me a better idea of whatís going on... I think. well good to know that people do get better and Lobbydosser's thread makes me want to get this done the right way, cuz back on in four weeks off in 5 years isnt so good when i could be back in 7 months and ridin from then on

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    panze-r....indeed, first post, cherry popped...i'm just so passionate about scaphoids that i had to speak up!!

ya know, i don't remember the particulars about the break. i'm assuming it was just your everyday fracture, nothing else. and for sure, having a cast on that long was borderline ridiculous!! further, it was the the type that went above the elbow, therefore locking into a 90 degree position. i guess i sort of got used to it after some time.

i'm assuming the surgery would be a bit more uncomfortable in the beginning (along with the hip area where they graft some bone), but would probably lead to a quicker recovery time in the end. not positive on that, but that's what i assume the case would be. again, i'm completely happy about the results....but there was a bit of a price to pay (long period of time with cast).

i'm sure the doc will lay all the facts out for ya. lemme know if you have any other questions....again, you'll get through this in no time!!! best of luck!!

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    I am pretty sure I had the same thing. I screwed up my nerves during the break in october and they are now starting to get back to normal. I have to go back to get it x-rayed in half a year so my hand doesn't stay oompa loompa size, I may need surgery. This crap blows, I hope it will be o.k. Good luck recovering, I am still sorta in the bag, even though it's long term.

Shredder111