Thread: Busted Ankle

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Busted Ankle

This could probably count as among the lamest bike injuries too. It's the easy shyte that sometimes brings us down. Obvious the trail was easy and I lost all focus and was completely not going fast enough, in too hard a gear, forgot to move the weight forward.

Outside of broken ribs a few times it is my worst injury. Happened 11 days ago at Lake Bryan and today is the 1st day the ankle feels any better at all. The cam boot feels like a boat anchor and I think is doing more harm than good. Scheduled for another xray on the 15th.

bust a move
    Seems like a large share of injuries come from the slow easy stuff.

Good luck healing up fast

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Sorry to hear about your ankle...heal up quickly.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Warrior's Society
    They put you in a walking boot already?

No surgery?

Sounds like it could have been worse......I know, have been there.

Getting hurt sucks no matter what.

Broken bones always earn + Rep Points.
    Last edited by mtnbikej; 05-04-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    It happened Sunday 22 Apr. Monday I went to west ft hood clinic where an xray was taken and a physician assistant PA) sent me to orthopedics at darnall. Another pA saw me and put me in a cam boot and said an appointment would not be available for at least 72 hours because swelling needed to go down.

The appointment was Friday the 27th and I saw a very brand new young MD with which this is his first assignment. He said let me get the orthopedic surgeon and we'll look at this under the fluoroscope. The "orthopedic surgeon" turned out to be a retired major, and another PA, but he was very smart and acted very much a seasoned senior doc. He did the maneuver under the scope and told junior--see this is within tolerance.

Then he looked at me and said I am sending you to the cast room. Cast by 4 weeks.

I did some fast talking, talking about my rather sedate desk job etc. He finally said if you were jo snuffy private or sergeant you would be in a cast, but since you're a senior manager here on post I will allow you to keep the camboot but I want you to keep weight off of it. I said shower only and he said ok and take it off periodically and do easy gentle rehab type exercises as tolerated. See you back on the 15th and one pf two things will likely happen, a new xray exam will show you are healed enough to weight bear and get a rehab appointment OR it may be that you need a plate and screw for minimal displacement and not enough healing.

Then I find out he is i seasoned cyclist and mountain bikes his ass off since he's been here at ft hood. we talk in the hall an additional few minutes. he said with luck hope to see you back on your stumpjumper in maybe 6 or so weeks.

Well....it is hard to stay off it. The canboot is very stiff and uncomfortable. It does not have the adjustments to make it truly "walkable". Some days I feel good, some days not. It really hurts like the devil when I put it back down initially after elevating it. Sometimes placing some weight on it makes it feel better.

So far since I saw ths last PA I've only needed 2 percocet and 2 tylenol.

If it's like my ribes it will hurt all the way up until it almost heals--which was 13 weeks -- a solid 3 months-- for the ribs a few autumns ago. Hoping not coz on the 15th I dont want him to say not enough progress has been made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Pete, Pete, Pete, what have I told you about riding the super sketchy technical trails like Lake Bryan! That place is dangerous!

Here's to a speedy recovery and hope to be riding with you again real soon!
    Who cares if your helmet matches your bike? And for the love of god, please use the search feature!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Thanks ! I hope so. I missing riding and of course eating at hop-doddy's or phil's or wherever. Something about Lake Bryan and me--I have my worst rides there ! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    Pete, Pete, Pete, what have I told you about riding the super sketchy technical trails like Lake Bryan! That place is dangerous!

Here's to a speedy recovery and hope to be riding with you again real soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Thanks ! I hope so. I missing riding and of course eating at hop-doddy's or phil's or wherever. Something about Lake Bryan and me--I have my worst rides there ! lol.
    I know how depressing it is to be off the bike. I am recovering from a tibia fibula fracture that happened on march 12. Two more months before I can put weight on it. The kicker for me was that I got a new carve expert a couple weeks before injury.... keep your head up and you'll be back on two in no time :-) :-)

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Why do you constantly post my fat ass on MTBR.com for all to see? On top of that you never show me doing some sweet technical descent but only show me huffing and puffing up some long hill that you know I can't complete or some excitng video of me standing around like I'm lazy. Which of course I am.

On another note, That's the third time you've wrecking in the exact same spot and it's not even a technical section. It's a two foot uphill with a small root! You made harder stuff earlier in the trail and made it all look easey. A two hour drive from my house to ride three miles then go home. Thanks!

Complaint fest is over. Here's a good one for you. I rode Rocky Hill Ranch with Archaic today and pulled another one of my patented slow motion endo's on a super easy rooty section. Both roots were a massive 1 inch high so I pulled my front wheel up and over the first one and landed right on the second one causing me to stop dead in my tracks and slowly endo'd over my bars. No serious injuries except some minor brain damage. Archaic was 10 feet behind me and enjoyed the show.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    ah so that explains why you think two times is three times.

lol.