Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    aka dan51

Bustamove is busted-up-dude

Get well quick Derek.
    Let us know if you need anything.

-Dan

grrah has pics...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Trail Goddess

Another rider down?

Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Get well quick Derek.

-Dan

grrah has pics...
    What's going on this year? It seems like there's riders going down more often than before. Probably just the fact that tere seems to be more MTBers than before. Please tell me that it wasn't at Demo.

Derek, speedy recovery!!!

Fiona
    I've become one of those people, you know the ones.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Get well quick Derek.

grrah has pics...
    That is so not enough information. Drunk on tequila and fell into the bbq? Bit by his own dog? Whatup?

Silence! I kill you!
    Geez, maybe we should try to see if Francois could get us all body armour at cost so we can stop gettin hurt!
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

Body armour

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Geez, maybe we should try to see if Francois could get us all body armour at cost so we can stop gettin hurt!

I know it was a joke, BUT I find wearing even small forearm pads helps in crashes because you're not afraid to put your arms up to take the abuse which protects your face and can help if you're rolling etc...... I have some SixSixOne pads...

They're light and not obtrusive at all.... I feel naked without them now....

There is also a rumor going around that BAYCAT fractured his leg this weekend.....

Silence! I kill you!
    Depending on the trail (mostly Demo, Santa Teresa, and sometimes Henry Coe) I pack my shinguards & my hockey elbow guards.

Now I just need to get a FF helmet for when I go off of jumps.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

swag ho Administrator
    Ok, I'm still in Bear Valley and I just got a call from Sean. I talked to him and I talked to Derek.

It's no good.

Derek broke his left clavicle in three places while going over a log. He launched off the log (which he never does). He rode a nose-wheelie and crashed on his left shoulder. It was a painnnnnful walk out and Sheckler got him to a hospital in Santa Cruz. They x-ray'd him and game shot him up with some Demorol. The x-rays show that he has a piece of bone floating vertically in his shoulder.

Derek has no insurance and he has a new temp job. This is going to be tough. His handle here is Bustamove and his email is derek@datawest.net.

He'll need to see an orthopedist this week. He's going to be on Vicodin too but he says those make him nauseous.

Thank you to all that gave up their day to help Derek.

I'm so bummed. I'll visit him tomorrow when I get back in town.

francois
    IPA will save America

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Derek has no insurance and he has a new temp job.
    I don't know about his situation, but he should be eligible for COBRA through his previous employer for six months. Maybe they were just a bit late in forwarding his payments?

bike buster
    Derek definitely crashed hard. He hit one of the biggest launches on trail X with tons of speed. There wasn't enough weight over the backend of the bike, he landed nose down and only made it a short distance before impact. On a one to ten scale for style, his crash was off the charts. Unfortunately, that means he landed hard.

Dan and I were coming up behind him and both watched him and his bike shortly after FLIP through the air. Pretty gnarly. Derek and the rest of us knew instantly it was a broken collarbone and got his arm in a sling as fast as possible so we could get out of there fast. The walk out was long and definitely extremely painful for Derek, but we made it back without any further incident. Scheckler rushed him to the hopsital and he was seen quickly. The rest of us met up there for moral support. The X-Ray is NUTS! It looks like an arrowhead is lodged in his shoulder.

Derek is a funny guy on Demerol AND a friggin' TROOPER. He made it at least 2-4 miles down the rest of the trail and to the 'rescue vehicle' on foot without a problem, knowing he needed help fast. I was impressed to say the least.

Here's to a quick recovery, man. Again, I work not even 5 minutes away so if you need anything, call.

Justin

Groveland Trail Heads

Derek is one tough dude...

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Ok, I'm still in Bear Valley and I just got a call from Sean. I talked to him and I talked to Derek.

It's no good.

Derek broke his left clavicle in three places while going over a log. He launched off the log (which he never does). He rode a nose-wheelie and crashed on his left shoulder. It was a painnnnnful walk out and Sheckler got him to a hospital in Santa Cruz. They x-ray'd him and game shot him up with some Demorol. The x-rays show that he has a piece of bone floating vertically in his shoulder.

Derek has no insurance and he has a new temp job. This is going to be tough. His handle here is Bustamove and his email is derek@datawest.net.

He'll need to see an ortopedist this week. He's going to be on Vicodin too but he says those make him nauseous.

I'm so bummed. I'll visit him tomorrow when I get back in town.

francois
    that was a long walk for him with that injury. I am glad we were able to help him as Derek is very cool and does a lot for the mtbr community. He was in a lot of pain when we were on the way to the ER. I came riding up after he was already on the ground so I did not see the actual crash.

The ER took him in right away so he was not waiting in the waiting room for hours. I did thank the ER staff for taking care of him so quickly.

Francois, I have the Rocky Mountain at my house. It looks ok, I do not think there is any damage. I have not stolen any parts off of it yet but the night is still young I have no problem holding on to it until you need it. It is safely inside my litttle house, no garage for the Element. Just can't figure out how to put those carbon stays on my heckler...

Here are a few pics from the ER(sorry, all I have is a camera in my phone). Derek, I hope you heal fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubsl2
    Derek definitely crashed hard. He hit one of the biggest launches on trail X with tons of speed. There wasn't enough weight over the backend of the bike, he landed nose down and only made it a short distance before impact. On a one to ten scale for style, his crash was off the charts. Unfortunately, that means he landed hard.

Dan and I were coming up behind him and both watched him and his bike shortly after FLIP through the air. Pretty gnarly. Derek and the rest of us knew instantly it was a broken collarbone and got his arm in a sling as fast as possible so we could get out of there fast. The walk out was long and definitely extremely painful for Derek, but we made it back without any further incident. Scheckler rushed him to the hopsital and he was seen quickly. The rest of us met up there for moral support. The X-Ray is NUTS! It looks like an arrowhead is lodged in his shoulder.

Derek is a funny guy on Demerol AND a friggin' TROOPER. He made it at least 2-4 miles down the rest of the trail and to the 'rescue vehicle' on foot without a problem, knowing he needed help fast. I was impressed to say the least.

Here's to a quick recovery, man. Again, I work not even 5 minutes away so if you need anything, call.

Justin
    Thanks for the write-up. Damn it! I would have probably just sat down & fainted.

Poor guy. Guess we need to think about contributing to his medical? Let's see, that would be about $1,382 each?

Damn, Derek. Hope things go alright for you.

Gary
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Groveland Trail Heads

What the doctor said....

he literally said it was "one of the worst collarbone breaks" he has ever seen I was right there when he said that. When we saw the xrays it was confirmed.
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

bike buster
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Thanks for the write-up. Damn it! I would have probably just sat down & fainted.

Poor guy. Guess we need to think about contributing to his medical? Let's see, that would be about $1,382 each?

Damn, Derek. Hope things go alright for you.

Gary
    We were talking about the need for an MTBR.com rescue vehicle. Like a Hummer H2, Toyota Land Cruiser, etc. We could paint it up in MTBR swag and use it whenever someone gets injured. With the frequency of injuries lately, it sure sounds like a good idea! I told Derek when he heals up, we'll go practice some jumps. :-)

Justin

smw
    pedal pusher
    Heal up Derek, and speak up if ya need anything.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    he literally said it was "one of the worst collarbone breaks" he has ever seen I was right there when he said that. When we saw the xrays it was confirmed.
    Aww, man that's not what you want to hear from an ER Doctor.

Get well Derek - us east bay'ers are sending you get well vibes!!

-Larry
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Whoa!!!! Man!!!! That bites!!!! Get better soon Derek.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Derk, hang in there. Heal well, and quick!

-Dave

mtbr member
    Dayum,

Sounds like there a bad case of clavicitus going around.
    Hope to see you get through this soon.

jps

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    Hopefully Derek didn't hear the doc say that

Heal up quickly Derek. We're all sending you good vibes.

new and improved
    Wow, that sucks! Demo has simply been beating the fock out of MTBRs this year (I count 4 people off the top of my head with sidelining injuries there). May your revcovery be speedy.

-Gus

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Derek, I am sorry to hear about your crash and hope you heal up soon.

aka baycat
    Dam Derek sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident, I hope you heal up soon. And those Vics will help you along the way.

Yep the rumor is true! Seems like a lot of us are getting hurt. Leaves more time for UGI.

I too had a bad day down in Skeggs. Went out for a quick loop, towards the end lost control of the bike on a section of Manzanita? stuck my leg down and didn't feel good. Ouch! Thought it was a sprain of some kind, xray and doc said NOPE! Nice hairline or something or other fracture of my leg. Soft cast but no wonder drugs.

Oh well maybe we can start some kind of support group for off the saddle MTBR riders.

ballbuster

heh....

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    That is so not enough information. Drunk on tequila and fell into the bbq? Bit by his own dog? Whatup?
    Stuck his finger in his ear and turned his head real fast.

Sorry, lame joke.

So really! WTF happened?!? Riders dropping like flies!

dude with orange car
    Oh sh!t.

I'm so sorry Derek.

This sucks.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Fireball in the Night
    Ouch. Double ouch. Sending some good ju-ju your way for a quick heal. Both of you.

~ Rex
    everyone drives a Used Car

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast