Luddite technophile

Bunion and hammertoe anyone?

Anyone out there have problems with hammertoe and/or bunions? Did you have surgery, or were there more conservative methods that you employed succesfully? I'd love to hear any and all experiences (good or bad). My wife is really suffering from this, and we're considering surgery, but hoping not to. Thanks.

scars > tattoos
    reply in women's lounge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kgginslc
    Anyone out there have problems with hammertoe and/or bunions? Did you have surgery, or were there more conservative methods that you employed succesfully? I'd love to hear any and all experiences (good or bad). My wife is really suffering from this, and we're considering surgery, but hoping not to. Thanks.
    I had a "hammertoe". It was the second toe on my right foot. The joint on the end would not straighten out, so it turned downward. I never had a problem until I started running a lot. I guess the constant pounding started to push my toenail causing it to bleed. I had it looked at by a podiatrist and he said he could take care of it with a minor surgery. He used local anesthetic and shaved some of the bone off of the top of the joint. This straightened the toe but made it a little shorter than before. Barely noticable.

It was really painful for several weeks after. Actually, I probably wouldn't have done it if I could go back. It just seemed like a good idea at the time. It's a simple procedure, but be prepared for crutches and painkilllers.

Members who have read this thread: 0