Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Rep Power Infinity +2
    I certainly learnt to isolate my core and eliminate a lot of pain. But you are right, every movement seems to involve the ribs

The best feeling though was being able to yawn after about 5 weeks. Felt sooooo good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    man, i endo'd yesterday on a steep technical downhill, so i flew for a good amount of time. Landed on my side, cracked my helmet right above the temple. As soon as i hit, i couldn't breathe at all for like 30 seconds....was doing that strange-sound-fish-flop thing. Kinda freaked out my riding buddies.

Cracked some ribs and bruised like all the rest. Left side of my body feels like someone took a bat to it. My shoulder feels dead, and i can't lift my arm at all, but they said no break there. Deep breathing sucks, but shallower breaths are ok,,,Getting out of bed or out of a chair is pure torture.

Just totally sucks..was just hitting my stride in terms of best riding shape i've ever been in, really.

So is it best to let the body tell you what's up in terms of riding? i know i'll be off for awhile. Is it ok to ride stationary, and get your heart rate up, even if it hurts when you breathe deeply? is that ok to do, or is breathing too deeply bad....

Any other pieces of advice besides pain killers and ibuprofen?

mtbr member
    Glad for the advice in this thread, wiped out on Friday and landed hard on my left side.

The worst part was after I had the strength to get up, I had to fix a few things on the bike before I could try and ride home.

Feeling a bit sore still but I guess it will just take a few more days.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Google, for directing me to ancient threads. Sounds like this is my prob too. Deep breaths hurt, but when I ride the pain subsides...for a while...I guess I just have to play the "wait and see game". Here is a pic of my crash. OTB'd and landed right on my left side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bruised ribs...how long?-untitled2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome pic! Enjoy your nights for a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just one more war story to add to the list. I think I might have fallen asleep(no joke) because I don't know what happened but believe I hit wet roots on the inside of a down hill bench cut. Any how I remeber my helmet hitting the ground forward. Landed on my left side with my arms up and contorted so head hit to. basically bounced off my rib cage. (all this at Fredricsburg, VA BTW)
    Recovery time first week I didn't dare sneeze and actually said "no! no! don't make me laugh " although I was renting a kayak at the time.
    Keeping moving helps and you have to keep the lungs working but a sneeze was like a hot knife sliding in.
    after 2 weeks I got back to some light work outs and riding park trail (along Erie Canal this time.) Exersize burned like hell but the day after was sublime by comparison.
    Definetly start to move asap.

mtbr member
    I will chime in and update everyone on my condition. I went to the doc and got an Xray, he said I could fractured a rib but it would have been to fine of a fracture to see on the X ray film. More than likely it was just a bruise. At any rate, I am finally feeling healed up after about 4 weeks of relative pain. I started thinking and worrying it could be something else...BUT it finally went away. Rib injuries suck and take a long time to heal. Glad it happened at the tail end of the riding season rather than the start !

Rep Power Infinity +2
    About 4 months out and i can finally stretch out my ribs properly without them hurting. Yay.

Great Picture GnarBrahWyo. A lot more spectacular than my fall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    About 4 months out and i can finally stretch out my ribs properly without them hurting. Yay.

Great Picture GnarBrahWyo. A lot more spectacular than my fall
    Glad you're on the mend! I was getting worried for a while about my pain. Thought it might be something else (you start going crazy with things you think it might be) but I am better. We ride again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A google search led me to this thread, so here's my story to add to the tales of misery. Three weeks ago I wanted to get one last ride in the mountains before the snow arrived. All went well until I found myself slowly climbing up a section of trail that went from a bit of mud to frozen mud to ice covered ground pretty rapidly.

I ran out of momentum and put my feet down, finding that it was so slippery it was almost impossible to stand up. As I was thinking, "this isn't too good", my feet slipped out from underneath me and I jammed my left forearm into my ribs as I went down hard.

Riding back down was uncomfortable but not as painful as the next several days... like many other here have mentioned, getting out of bed and things like laughing, coughing or sneezing are probably the worst. Sleeping has been hard and it seems like mornings are the most painful, then it gets better during the day.

Took the bike around the neighborhood and local park Sunday afternoon, exactly three weeks after my crash. It felt great to be back on the bike. Everything was wonderful until for some reason I decided to drop a small ledge coming down a dirt hill to a flat asphalt parking lot.

I went down the hill with a little more speed than I should have, my seatpost was a little higher than it should have been, took the ledge a little uneasily, landed flat but then kind of pogoed a bit from the suspension. My weight went too far forward, I may have grabbed some front brake (STUPID), honestly I don't know, but I bit it hard on the asphalt, going OTB and kind of half superman-ing onto my RIGHT side. It probably looked a lot like GnarBroh's photo above, but with asphalt instead of trail.

My helmet (glad I was wearing one) took a good scrape but did not break. Fortunately I was wearing gloves, jacket and pants as the weather was in the 50's, or I would have been scraped up a lot worse. Bike got some scrapes on the bars, grips and stem. Was just starting to feel better from the first one, and now I get to start it all over again, but now with elbow, knee and shoulder pain added in. D'OH!

Ice and ibuprofen help take the edge off but just time and taking it easy are about all you can do I think.

mtbr member
    Well you can add me to the list. Last Saturday I went down a trail I shouldn't have, tried to ditch the bike, and ended up with my chest landing on the saddle. It knocked the breath out of me and it took me a good 5-10 minutes to regain my composure but I was ok after that. I finished my ride without issue. It was a bit sore the next day but nothing bad so I went on another 10 mile ride. Bad Idea....

That was last weekend and I've been 7 days no bike no exercise no nothing. Feels like crap every morning but seems to get better throughout the day. I refuse to take pills unless it's absolutely necessary so I've been eating garlic and tumeric powder constantly.

Hopefully one more week of rest and I'll be able to resume my commute. I feel like a damn dog that needs to exercise or I just turn into a douche.

mtbr member
    Well it has been 23 days and I finally feel good enough to resume commuting today. Too bad its 30 out with 90% humidity. I couldn't be happier to get on the bike no matter what the weather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Trevordchi, hope you're continuing to do better! These injuries suck. I was just looking at my bike last night and noticed that my saddle is quite broken, must have happened when the bike flipped over in my endo.

It has been a month since my right side injury, and seven weeks since the original left side which was ribs only. Left side is doing well, I don't have much pain anymore but still have occasional discomfort. Right side is another story. Still a lot of rib pain, sometimes very acute and sharp. If I look at the average for a week, it's getting better every week. But some individual days or moments there is as much pain as there was a month ago. Kind of discouraging.

Since I know the rib injuries take a long time to heal, I'm not as worried about that as I am about my knee and wrist. The knee got pretty banged up slamming into the pavement. I went into instacare three weeks ago (a week after crash) and xrays did not show any fractures, but it's still really stiff and hurts when it's bent, as when pulling on socks or shoes.

My wrists were sore from my hands taking a lot of the impact, but now the right one hurts doing specific movements like grasping a plate, opening a door, et cetera. I started reading about scaphoid injuries and freaked myself out about that for a while, but hopefully it's just a sprain.

I'm glad this didn't happen in the spring or summer. And I'm contemplating a dropper seatpost to make getting my weight back on the bike a little easier. Looking forward to healing and feeling good again. Despite all the above whinging I can't wait to get back on a bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah, just hang in there. i posted about exactly a year ago on here, and it was really my first rib injury...That **** lasted like 3 months before i was finally pain free. I had no idea they were so persistent and long healing.

But yeah if you're going to pick a time to have an injury, now is probably the "best" time at least (if you live in a cold weather area, which i assume you do).

Take time off the bike, then build back slowly and you will be killing it later in the winter/early spring.

Quote Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
    Trevordchi, hope you're continuing to do better! These injuries suck. I was just looking at my bike last night and noticed that my saddle is quite broken, must have happened when the bike flipped over in my endo.

It has been a month since my right side injury, and seven weeks since the original left side which was ribs only. Left side is doing well, I don't have much pain anymore but still have occasional discomfort. Right side is another story. Still a lot of rib pain, sometimes very acute and sharp. If I look at the average for a week, it's getting better every week. But some individual days or moments there is as much pain as there was a month ago. Kind of discouraging.

Since I know the rib injuries take a long time to heal, I'm not as worried about that as I am about my knee and wrist. The knee got pretty banged up slamming into the pavement. I went into instacare three weeks ago (a week after crash) and xrays did not show any fractures, but it's still really stiff and hurts when it's bent, as when pulling on socks or shoes.

My wrists were sore from my hands taking a lot of the impact, but now the right one hurts doing specific movements like grasping a plate, opening a door, et cetera. I started reading about scaphoid injuries and freaked myself out about that for a while, but hopefully it's just a sprain.

I'm glad this didn't happen in the spring or summer. And I'm contemplating a dropper seatpost to make getting my weight back on the bike a little easier. Looking forward to healing and feeling good again. Despite all the above whinging I can't wait to get back on a bike!

mtbr member
    I had this OTB rib bruiser this weekend. Ibuprofen and stretching has been helping me but I think it's going to be sore for awhile. As other people have said the best thing is to keep moving so it doesn't stiffen up.

taco - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    yeah, just hang in there. i posted about exactly a year ago on here, and it was really my first rib injury...That **** lasted like 3 months before i was finally pain free. I had no idea they were so persistent and long healing.

But yeah if you're going to pick a time to have an injury, now is probably the "best" time at least (if you live in a cold weather area, which i assume you do).

Take time off the bike, then build back slowly and you will be killing it later in the winter/early spring.
    Thanks. I re-read your post from last year and it sounds like yours was worse than mine, at least in how much impact your chest got. Ouch. I hate that wind knocked out sensation, fortunately haven't had that in a while.

I live in SLC so it's relatively cold here right now. I have never liked this time of year, kinda too cold for biking (IMO) but not enough snow for skiing or snowboarding. I dislike the gym but normally get a three month membership starting around now to keep some level of activity going through the winter months. I rarely go boarding before late January anyway so I should still get some days in late winter.

I have noticed that not getting enough physical activity really affects my mood and that's part of the problem. Hopefully the knee will cooperate enough to do some work at the gym. Keep the rubber side down everybody!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    I had this OTB rib bruiser this weekend. Ibuprofen and stretching has been helping me but I think it's going to be sore for awhile. As other people have said the best thing is to keep moving so it doesn't stiffen up.

taco - YouTube
    Ouch, damn. Hope you heal soon! Wheel tacoed upon landing, then caused the OTB? I wish I had a video of mine so I could see just what the hell I did, I'm still not sure.

A cold pack definitely helped me for the first few days. Also combining ibuprofen and acetaminophen seemed to work a little better than ibuprofen alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
    Ouch, damn. Hope you heal soon! Wheel tacoed upon landing, then caused the OTB? I wish I had a video of mine so I could see just what the hell I did, I'm still not sure.

A cold pack definitely helped me for the first few days. Also combining ibuprofen and acetaminophen seemed to work a little better than ibuprofen alone.
    When I hit the jump I was aimed a little to far to the left so when I landed the front wheel hit the uphill side of the trail and hooked sideways. This flipped the bike and me and in the process taco'ed the front wheel and bent the derailleur mount. I had to walk the bike out and now its at the shop getting a new front rim and derailleur mount. It's always a bummer to crash but you take the good with the bad and I'm glad that it wasn't worse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just read thru this entire thread, and now I don' feel so alone. I've been nursing a shoulder injury I sustained during a nasty hydraulic thrashing, after a faceplant in the pit of an overhead wave that I took off on a little too late (for a slow old man). That was around the end of Oct. I was in pretty decent shape until then. I tried surfing some small clean waves in Dec, and it was still sore, and then I started getting short-lived attacks of a weird numbness all along the top of that shoulder. Those finally stopped.
    I was getting out of shape, but I went surfing again in the first week of January when we had some small clean waves again. I surfed for two hours. MISTAKE! should have cut it short after the first hour. I got nailed in the back of my rib cage by my board on a wipeout. Hardly felt it, and didn't think anything of it at the time.
    Next day my abs and lower back felt overworked, and it kinda felt like I had bruised a rib where the board had hit, but not bad.
    A couple of days later, I took a 30 minute ride on my SS and was warmed up enough to feel like going for a thorough ab and core workout.
    I overdid it. Next day I cramped up like I'd never felt in my entire life. All of my abs and lower back and side muscles cramped up tighter that I thought possible, and they would not relax. They were spasming in places, and I could barely keep from crying out. I could not lie down nor sleep all night, but had to stand leaning in a corner, or else stand leaning over my kitchen table supported by my arms with my palms flat on the table top. My feet even swelled up.
    I made sure that I was drinking enough water, and I was eating raisins, bananas, satsumas, and potatoes, etc (all supposedly decent natural sources of electrolytes). Too late already!
    The cramping was also pulling on my bruised rib, sending sharp pains. I was eating 600mgs of ibuprofen every 4 hours, so my supply would last until the next day (I was low). Finally let up a bit by mid morning and I was able to nap in my easy chair.
    Next night same thing, but not quite so bad, except that I noticed a sharp pain on the front of my ribcage, directly over the spot where I had broken two ribs back in 1975. That's right, 1975...a bodysurfing accident at Sandy Beach on Oahu when a wave slammed me onto a tourist. One of the broken ribs had punctured my right lung, which had collapsed by the time I made it to the beach, and the doc had inserted a tube thru an incision so as to drain any fluid between my lung and ribcage. There's still a 3/4" scar there.
    Well, my abs continued to cramp up badly, and during one bad episode, it felt like those ribs under that old injury were being torn apart, right where that scar is. I was getting sharp pains from my old injury of 40 years ago! (I turned 63 last Sept).
    I finally got over it after a few more days, and both spots on my ribs are still tender.
    Now I am carefully and slowly starting to stretch and work out very lightly again.
    Today I walked a couple miles on the beach for a warm-up, and did some light sitting rowing and light upper body stuff. I have to be careful not to overdo it again. So far, so good.
    My Pugs is nearly done, and I hope to take my first ride on it tomorrow, if it doesn't rain. I need to work on my legs.
    Gettin' old ain't for wimps!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5