Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Evan55, Thanks for the tip! I bought this one after searching around online (found it somewhere for $59.99 - http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/c...act-shirt.aspx)
    I took my first mtb ride yesterday after way too long off. only did 1 lap and slow it was but I did not fall again and having that rib protection gave me a little more confidence. Still don't want to actually test it out but if I am forced to, I am glad I have it. I doubt I'll use it for too long but until the rib feels completely ok and until I get my confidence back, it'll be with me every time! As for a review, I loved it. I didn't even feel it there while riding but it did make me sweat more. Not sure it was that much more though. I definitely liked the security it gave me! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    lots of rib protection options out there. there are shirts with low profile rib pads sewn in, used for football hockey and lacrosse mainly. I have one of these
    http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/en...eProductSearch
    (shoulder caps come off) it breathes well.
    shockdoctor makes a good one that I plan on ordering
    http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/c...act-shirt.aspx

for thicker hardshell padding, you can look at football rib protectors, and kart racing rib protectors. kart racing protectors are most likely to be hard shell yet still slim. do a search for "rib protectors" on google, ebay, or sports store.
    it is now football season so you may even be able to try them on at your local sports store

this is my next step, as my 2nd rib bruise came through a DH armor jacket AND the DNA padded shirt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the fact that this thread is two pages long makes me feel better...haha...im broke my rib last year...didnt know it till a week later when i sneezed,...now i have a bruised rib cage and it hurts a lot more!....i slamed on sunday...rode the next sat...think i made it worse....its sooo sore now lets see what happends by this weekend....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I guess I'm in the club as well. I hope I am better for next as we will be in St. George. So, hopefully I can ride Gooseberry.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Pretty sure I either cracked or did some major internal bruising around my right rib after an endo this weekend in the trails where the handle bar jabbed into my chest as I came tumbling down.

I had a similar injury about 10yrs ago and it felt like a constant cramp..Hurts to cough, laugh or twisting of the arms or hips. It doesn't hurt to breath hard so I'm riding into work but will probably stay off the mtb for awhile. Expect to heal within 6wks..if it is a fractured rib. Otherwise if its just bruising I should be fine in about a week or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I didn't read every post but I probably have the record. A month ago today I broke 7 ribs, one twice and my collarbone on a small jump that went bad. Considering getting on the trainer for the first time to celebrate the day!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Bruised 3 or 4 ribs on the left side last Sunday on a technically crazy trail. I feel much better a week later, I rode the streets around my neighborhood yesterday and today. The ride went better than I expected.

I am getting where I can cough with a minimum of pain. Actually I am surprised that the healing is going this quickly I expected more grief. ( I had plenty the first 3 or 4 days )

I could probably do the trails now but one crash on the injured ribs would be excruciating. I think I am gonna wait until they are close to perfect and just ride the streets in the meantime.

This rib bruising thing has made me take a serious look at body armor. Even though I only ride trails, the old phrase " better safe than sorry " is starting to have a whole new meaning for me . I like the look of this this company's stuff http://www.forcefieldperformance.com...adventure/2347 Their rib protector was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyway, best of luck to all here, I feel your pain.

Ted

Update: Back on the trails as of 4/9/11
    Last edited by Ted_R; 04-10-2011 at 04:53 AM.
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend !

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Took a spill a couple of weeks ago on my 2nd mtb ride of the season. I did a jump on a trail that I had not ridden before on a new bike and took a bar end and tire to the right ribs. It was painful but not too bad at the time. I managed to ride another 6 or so miles and completed the ride albeit in pain. I rode again a few days later with a little discomfort but again nothing major. However it has been getting worse and now 2 weeks later I am in some discomfort just sitting on the couch. I cracked a rib 3 years ago on the left side and then bruised ribs again on the left side just over a year ago and I remember the Doc saying that the pain could come and go and that it could take a few months to completely heal. This most recent spill didn't seem as bad as the others but I am getting a little concerned that it is feeling worse and not better.

mtbr member
    Is there any value to going to a doc for banged up ribs? I had a spill early in a race on Saturday and took a handlebar end right to a rib, the pain was manageable for the rest of the race but it's been getting progressively more uncomfortable the last two days. It's really quite painful (seeing stars when I shift in my sleep), but nothing is shifting around and normal breathing is mostly painless, so I'm inclined to think that it's just a bruise or crack. From the bit of research I've done it sounds like a doctor is just going to confirm that damage was done and tell me to lay off for a bit which sounds like a waste of his time and mine.

Oh, and make sure to check your bike has plugs on the ends of the bar, mine would have taken a core sample if they hadn't been there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples
    Is there any value to going to a doc for banged up ribs? I had a spill early in a race on Saturday and took a handlebar end right to a rib, the pain was manageable for the rest of the race but it's been getting progressively more uncomfortable the last two days. It's really quite painful (seeing stars when I shift in my sleep), but nothing is shifting around and normal breathing is mostly painless, so I'm inclined to think that it's just a bruise or crack. From the bit of research I've done it sounds like a doctor is just going to confirm that damage was done and tell me to lay off for a bit which sounds like a waste of his time and mine.

Oh, and make sure to check your bike has plugs on the ends of the bar, mine would have taken a core sample if they hadn't been there.
    not really. even if your ribs are broken there is no change in treatment. i went to the doc when i bruised mine bad and they took an xray but it didnt matter either way. its a good 6 weeks until you will feel better.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member

separated vs. broken

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat
    I'm learning how much rib injuries suck. I've been off the bike for 9 days now after a pretty nasty OTB incident, and I'm going nuts. Every time that I think, "hey, it doesn't hurt as bad today", the pain shows back up. In all honesty, it doesn't feel much different than it did when the pain first kicked in 100%, but I guess the pain has gotten slightly better (or I'm just getting used to it). I haven't been to the doc, so I don't know if they're bruised, cracked, separated, or what. I'm kind of thinking they aren't cracked, since I'm guessing the pain would be more severe than what I'm experiencing (though the pain is significant). At any rate, this sucks. I have mixed emotions while reading all of these posts about long recovery times. On one hand, I feel better knowing that it isn't uncommon at all to still be in pain 9 days later but, on the other hand, it makes me sick to think I'll be off the bike for much longer. I might have to start going to the gym and using the cycle machine just to keep in shape while I'm sidelined.
    Actually, my doc said the pain from separated ribs can be greater and longer lasting than for broken ones. By "separated" he meant damage to the cartilage that holds them to the sternum(?). Not that it really matters, as the treatment for both seems to be the same...nothing.

mtbr member
    I had a spill early in a race on Saturday and took a handlebar end right to a rib, the pain was manageable for the rest of the race but it's been getting progressively more uncomfortable the last two days.
    The "progressively more uncomfortable" part catches my eye here. I'm trying to remember back when I whacked my own ribs a couple years ago, whether there was a progression in pain at first or not. Honestly, my memory isn't clear on that point.

If your pain levels don't stabilize after a few days, you might consider a doctor just for your own peace of mind.

When I whacked my ribs in a crash a couple of years ago, I just toughed it out. I hate going to the doctor and paying all that money only to get either no treatment, or just palliative treatment such as pain relief. So I am generally in the tough-it-out camp until I become certain that there is something a doctor can do that goes beyond pain-relief towards actual healing.

It is true, btw, that the treatment for bruised and cracked ribs is to just tough it out. Years ago, doctors would sometimes wrap a patient's chest. I've read though, that such wrapping leads to problems with fluid build up in the lungs. My understanding (and I am not a qualified medical person) is that current thinking suggests it is better to not restrict lung movement, to let the lungs move even though it hurts in order to avoid problems w/pneumonia. Like I say, I'm no doctor, but the foregoing is my current understanding.

mtbr member
    I fractured a couple of ribs two yrs ago. I clipped some roots that I have been across many times before, this time it tossed me! I just tuffed it out, off the bike for about 3 months. sucked,l missed May thru August of the riding season! don't, cough, laugh nor wake up in the mornings! recently I bruise some ribs when I hit a speed bump after a long 75 mile road ride., I was tired and wasn't paying attention! Its been about 3 weeks (almost healed up) and I continue to ride, but no jumps, bunny hops, manuals. just wheels on the ground.stuff. This time I went to the Chiro, He x rayd, electro stim, iced and Physical therapy and massage therapy. The 2 very attractive therapist helped the most, for the short term anyways! so did the 1000mgs of Tylenol, lmao!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Is there any value to going to a doc for banged up ribs?

Is there any value to going to a doc for banged up ribs? ...
    A MD visit can tell you whether you have bruised or broken ribs.
    A Chiro or Osteopath may be able to move a displaced ribs back into place. Otherwise it may heal in the wrong place or never heal correctly.

mtbr member
    New member to the bruised/cracked ribs club checking in.

I was very slowly, perhaps too slowly negotiating an off camber downhill switchback when I went down hard on my right side. Not sure how it happened, didn't even have time to try to unclip. I hit the ground with my forearm between my rib cage and the ground. I couldn't breath at all for a minute or two and thought I might need to be carried off the trail. Once I got my breath back, I dusted myself off and continued to ride at a slower pace for a few more miles at which point the ribs started hurting so I turned back to the trail head and went home.

Now I'm eating Vicodin sitting on the couch watching TV while it's perfect riding weather.

It's all I can do to keep from screaming in pain when I try to lay down or get up from bed. Guess I'll be off the bike for a few weeks now.

On the bright side, I get a pass from doing yard work for a while.

mtbr member
    A second visit to the MD and an x-ray show a fractured right 7th rib. Good times...not.

mtbr member
    Fun right? I'm a week and a half in on my bruising. It felt like I broke something the day of and after but I think it's healing too quickly to be broken. Sneezing still makes me pause from absolute pain and laying down hurts like hell when I turn but everything else is OK for the most part. Maybe reaching up for stuff.

Anyway, I went for a ride just this last saturday, a week after the accident, and riding was OK. Dropping off of anything was painful so I just stuck to the xc trails.

It'll heal quick enough. My fall was enough to give me a light concussion, talk about a weird feeling. Hell, I might have cracked a rib. I never went to the doctor but everything looks fine visually and nothing feels swollen or out of place when I go over them with my fingers, there's really nothing they can do other than tell me to take it easy and let it heal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Rule of Thumb for ribs....

8 weeks

mtbr member

I'm in!

A week ago I was out riding with a friend. We began to pick up speed on a slight downhill, rocky section and I told him I was going to back off and put some room between us. No sooner had I said that, when I caught my left grip on a tree, had the handlebars rip from my hands and landed rib first onto a wonderfully solid boulder, stone / whatever. There was a pronounced POP and immediate tightness. Finished of the ride going another 20 miles, just trying to "ride it out."

Things got worse at home.

After a few days, I went for x-rays and found out I had fractured my 10th rib on the left side.

Pain continued to build in my chest / sternum area over the course of the week and this morning when shifting in bed slightly there was a NEW POP with shooting pain. Good times.

So now I'm guessing fractured 10th rib, and possibly detached rib / from the sternum, based upon my symtoms.

Planning on going to a sports doctor this week to have MRI done to check for soft tissue damage.

Sooo, one week in and this is as bad as it's been.

I'd prefer not to be a member of this club. Was at the best physical condition of my life since high school, and I'm 43 now.

What's up with all the trees and rocks in the woods anyway?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by msgvb View Post
    wellt, it's official -- four separated ribs.
    took a spill off a stupid little jump this past Saturday morning and tucked my arm in instinctively to roll out of it. didn't get the opportunity for the roll part and took the brunt of the hit sliding on my shoulder and tucked in upper arm, which transfered the impact to my chest.

I figured I just had some bruised ribs, having had that fun experience before, but something about this injury felt different. after reading this post and doing a little reading about rib injuries on the web last weekend, I suspected separation. Doc confirmed it for me yesterday, the pain having worsened the day before.

anyway, I've got a rib belt on and some decent drugs. he says it'll probably take between 3 and 5 weeks until it feels better.

so, I've been wondering about the chest & shoulder protector gear, or a flak jacket type. I think something like that would have prevented this injury. thing is, our trails aren't that aggressive, so I'd feel like a goon wearing this stuff out there considering that I don't hit the dirt jumper hills, mostly just those little jumps and platforms on our trails. frankly, I was just having an off day and made a silly error that landed me here. any of you guys wearing that stuff?
    I know this post is like five years old now but I think what you describe explains what I am feeling. I lost it in a berm and landed hard on my shoulder, body armor protected the shoulder so no pain there, but I felt what seemed liked my ribs compressing and a small pop from what is in between them. It hurts a bit to breath deep or blow my nose or cough but I was still able to ride most of the trails on lower whistler yesterday which was the day after but now today it is a bit more tender. I knew I had not broken anything but was not sure what I did but a separation makes sense.

I am back in whistler next week Friday for 7 days so I hope most of the pain is gone by then. It hurts but does not seem nearly as bad as most of you.
    Last edited by Mishtar; 05-31-2012 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Might as well add to the thread - just had my first major crash on some Colorado singletrack... pretty mad as I had already rode that part of the trail before and it was straightforward. Second time around I made the descent, and at the end there was a nice washboarded out section of trail. Must have tapped the front brake wrong at the bottom of one of the divots and before I knew it, I was slammed into the ground at a high rate of speed.

Nice scraped up arm, shoulder, and love handle ... knocked the wind out of me and tweaked my back. Day after, back was fine, but I noticed I had some surface numbing in the love handle region. Two days later, and I really stared to feel pain in the front ribs... lines up nicely with where my elbow probably was when I hit the ground.

Half a week later, and now it's hard to sleep in several positions, breathing hard/deep (while riding of course) hurts, and the worst is sneezing. So far I'm toughing it out, but I'm wondering if eventually a Chiro visit is in order. I'll probably wait the rest of the week out and see how it goes.

Big Damn Hero
    I did had the biggest endo of my life 2 two weeks ago and landed hard on my right side. Ribs hurt immediately. I rode another 7 miles or so, but eventually had to cut the ride short because I was in too much discomfort. The first three days or so were brutal, everything hurt. Then gradually they started feeling better and better... weird thing is that on my road bike, they felt perfectly fine. I even did a century ride one week after the crash with minimal discomfort.

Yesterday morning I tried going for a run before work and thought I was going to die about 1/4 mile in, so I stopped. Then throughout the day the pain got worse and worse to the point that I was in agony by the time I left work around 4:30.

I decided to set up a DR appointment and will go find out what's up today... all I can say is that this sucks!! Sleeping on my right side has been miserable since the day it happened. I just want to get a good nights sleep here soon and get these damn ribs/muscles healed up!
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Man do I sympathize with you guys. I wish we had one big giant broken rib house we could all hang out in and scream and moan and share meds. I am 6 days into my cracked ribs and the pain just gets worse and worse it seems. I went to the ER from the trail and then my Doctor early this week. As everyone else has stated, unless there is a shard or fragment that could possibly deflate a lung, there is no treatment other than rest and ice. I was prescribed some Vicodin, and while it helps, it also makes me feel a little too weird, so I will be happy to be off it soon. I know we are not supposed to wrap them for fear of pneumonia, but I have found some relief from periods of tightly wrapping them. I miss riding more than anything else, and the way they feel now, can't envision being able to ride anytime soon. Totaly sucks.

Big Damn Hero
    Sorry to hear that ghettocop, hopefully you'll heal up quickly and be riding soon...

It turns out I have a severely strained intercostal muscle, torn cartilage and small fracture on the 'floating' rib... here's to hoping I'll be able to heal quickly! I have a sprint race on Oct 6th and then a two day 180 mile charity ride on the 13th/14th.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Well i'm 8 weeks out from a chostochondral separation and bruised ribs and can do everything pretty normally but sleeping comfortably on that side.

7 days post accident were the worst when the rib popped out in the night with an grinding sound followed by excruciating pain. The best thing I found for good sleep to lie on my good side and put a a pillow behind my back, one between my knees, one in front of my chest and an extra one under my head. Lot's of pillows but worked a treat, although my wife was pissed she had little room in the bed.

Hope you guys get better soon

'Tis but a scratch

Things to avoid with rib injury...

- Breathing deep
    - Sneezing
    - Laughing hard
    - Sitting up from a laying down position
    - Getting out of car
    - Sleeping (especially on your side)
    - Hugs
    - Washing your back in the shower
    - Bending over to tie your shoes
    - Lifting stuff
    - Jumping
    - Twisting

OK, I'm 7 days in to my rib injury (sustained by taking a handlbar to the ribs during an OTB). I went for a ride yesterday...I couldn't take it any more. It still hurts! So, I guess I should add...
    - Mountain biking

Apparently, the rib bone is connected to...EVERYTHING!!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast