Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I guess this really depends how much damage you did. One guy went over my wheel about 6 weeks ago and cracked a couple of ribs, he finished the race, was sore as hell the next day, took the next week off because of crap wether (not pain) and was back racing the week after that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyTurtle
    Took myself to the ER and the X-rays didn't show any breaks or cracks, so I guess that's good. But, man, that's some serious pain.
    i had my xrays done about a week after the accident and my ribs were nicely cracked. if you got your xrays right after the fact and they didn't show cracks, you might still of cracked them as I have heard (note: NOT a medical expert) that it might take a few days for the cracks to actually show up on an xray. if they hurt as bad as you said, you still might of done more damage than the xrays showed.

trail addict
    I took a good hit in the side a week ago-4th of July. My bud and I set up a sweet "front porch freeride"-from a walkway, gap over a few steps and a short landing, to land on a pallet set on the lower set of steps, across the porch, ending with about a 3 ft drop into my downhill side yard. Not very big, but we were proud of coming up with something so imaginative to keep us busy right in my yard. So it was lots of fun and my wife thought it was ridiculous-which obviously made it more fun.

So the amazing thing was we went from riding this thing sober to gradually more and more intoxicated. We even kept riding it after a rain shower. No issues whatsoever! Until another guy's girlfriend asked us (at like 10:00 at night, many whiskey sours later) "Is that ALL you guys do?"

So with very little reasoning left in my brain, I decided to ride it backwards. Well, the backwards ride was hard, but do-able 12 hours earlier-sober, dry, in daylight, and with another pallet on the upper steps to smooth things out. The landing was about as long as my bike, so as I cleared the pallet and was bracing to attack the steps, my back tire didn't agree with the painted, wet decking. I spun out very fast, while clipped in, and slammed to the side right on the railing.

I was frozen for a few seconds, mad at myself and barely able to breath. My friend was amazed how well I held back the foul language in front of his children. It wasn't until about 15 seconds later I had enough control over my diaphragm to whisper to everyone that I couldn't yell an obscenity even if I wanted to.

Anyway, here I am about a week later, still pretty tender and pretty mad at myself. I'll probably try a nice easy ride soon, but I won't be back to normal for at least another 2 weeks. The most physical thing I can do for exercise is walk my dog.

Don't drink and ride-even if your drunk friend is doing it while wearing a mullet wig!

It was just about this same time last year that I bruised the other side almost as bad, but nothing to do with biking or drinking.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    4+ months for me -still sore.

I fractured some ribs in early March on the steerer tube. Typical story - JRA, stood up to pedal hard on a climb, front wheel stopped cold on a rock, onto the steerer, over the front, down the cliff, etc...

Felt sore but was able to ride for a couple weeks, then it all went downhill. Was doing the shallow breathing, silent cough thing - since I was fighting a head cold at the time. I hadn't been taking a good steady dose of anti-inflamitatory drugs like I should have, so wasn't breathing deep enough to heal. Stupid chest cold + ribs + no drugs = pneumonia.

Eventually the ribs started to feel ok after about 10 weeks of steady motrin, but still sore 4 months later when I lay on them or if kids jump on me, etc. Still not back to level of cardio/lung fitness and get tired after prolonged exercise. The weight room is the worst in terms of exercise - feels ok running, riding swimming, etc - just a little sore, but doesn't feel right at all when I lift.

Surprised the ribs are still sore after all this time, but is certainly sounds common after reading this thread... Hope everybody feels better soon.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Quit lifting, give them a chance to firm up. I did that after an endo and some deep bruised ribs, plus a busted floater.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I fell and landed with my chest on the end of my handlebar. I have a huge bruise under my right pec. It hurts to breath,laugh,move,sit up, pretty much whatever I do. I went and rode the next day, bad idea. It all hurts so much more now. I'm just hoping I can ride this Sunday it will be a week. I have'nt rode since Monday so 6 days off the bike I'm hoping will do it.

Occidental Tourist
    I bruised my ribs 3 days ago. I got X-rays the day after and they were negative.
    Laying down and getting up from laying down hurt the most.
    Being on the bike or sitting hunched over I feel no pain so i'm going to try riding tonight just to see.
    I'll see what my chiro thinks tomrrow since I already had an appt. scheduled.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member

Broken Ribs

5 weeks and 2 days I crashed and broke 2 ribs (5th and 6th) and punctured my lung. Pneumothorax After 3 weeks I could do easy rides (real easy rides) at 5 weeks I did my first real ride. All is good.
    A good indicator for me was when I could lift reasonable weight (40 to 65 lbs) and sneeze without a lot of pain.
    '14 Specialized Enduro Carbon Expert 29
    '13 Surly Neck Romancer Pug
    1992 Cannondale DeltaV700
    And a couple of fixies

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    wellt, it's official -- four separated ribs.
    took a spill off a stupid little jump this past Saturday morning and tucked my arm in instinctively to roll out of it. didn't get the opportunity for the roll part and took the brunt of the hit sliding on my shoulder and tucked in upper arm, which transfered the impact to my chest.

I figured I just had some bruised ribs, having had that fun experience before, but something about this injury felt different. after reading this post and doing a little reading about rib injuries on the web last weekend, I suspected separation. Doc confirmed it for me yesterday, the pain having worsened the day before.

anyway, I've got a rib belt on and some decent drugs. he says it'll probably take between 3 and 5 weeks until it feels better.

so, I've been wondering about the chest & shoulder protector gear, or a flak jacket type. I think something like that would have prevented this injury. thing is, our trails aren't that aggressive, so I'd feel like a goon wearing this stuff out there considering that I don't hit the dirt jumper hills, mostly just those little jumps and platforms on our trails. frankly, I was just having an off day and made a silly error that landed me here. any of you guys wearing that stuff?
    Last edited by msgvb; 12-06-2007 at 04:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgvb

so, I've been wondering about the chest & shoulder protector gear, or a flak jacket type. I think something like that would have prevented this injury. thing is, our trails aren't that aggressive, so I'd feel like a goon wearing this stuff out there considering that I don't hit the dirt jumper hills, mostly just those little jumps and platforms on our trails. frankly, I was just having an off day and made a silly error that landed me here. any of you guys wearing that stuff?

Check out this thread How many use body armor?
    Most of the talk is about knees, shins and arm protection but some stuff on chest protectors as well.

I'm considering the same issue myself..... no conclusion yet. For a rib protection the '08 Rockgardn Flack jacket looks good. Amother friend rider suggests ice hockey rib pads if you want to just protect the ribs.

j
    And a couple of fixies

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    awesome, thanks for the heads up -- good reading there.

frankly, until this mishap, I never even thought to consider rib protection. you just don't think much of it -- mostly as you say, knees, shins, elbows, etc. I'm still a bit surprised at how easily this happened. I've taken tumbles and rolls before and off of more serious stuff. it doesn't take much, apparently.

lurker extraordinaire
    I'm learning how much rib injuries suck. I've been off the bike for 9 days now after a pretty nasty OTB incident, and I'm going nuts. Every time that I think, "hey, it doesn't hurt as bad today", the pain shows back up. In all honesty, it doesn't feel much different than it did when the pain first kicked in 100%, but I guess the pain has gotten slightly better (or I'm just getting used to it). I haven't been to the doc, so I don't know if they're bruised, cracked, separated, or what. I'm kind of thinking they aren't cracked, since I'm guessing the pain would be more severe than what I'm experiencing (though the pain is significant). At any rate, this sucks. I have mixed emotions while reading all of these posts about long recovery times. On one hand, I feel better knowing that it isn't uncommon at all to still be in pain 9 days later but, on the other hand, it makes me sick to think I'll be off the bike for much longer. I might have to start going to the gym and using the cycle machine just to keep in shape while I'm sidelined.

lurker extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Flytime
    Amother friend rider suggests ice hockey rib pads if you want to just protect the ribs.
    That's an awesome idea!

I don't know why that didn't dawn on me. My son plays lacrosse, and I've seen lacrosse rib pads. The ones that I've seen seem like they'd do a pretty good job, too.

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    I thought I'd be out for weeks, the slightest bump was excrutiating and bed was the sitting up was horrible but on day six I was able to ride again, some pretty rocky stuff, in Sedona. Had to be careful but...every day after that I was a little better with the sleeping pain and the two week mark was when I started to feel like the worst was behind me, especially where sitting up and sleeping was concerned. Make sure you're getting lots of minerals (Emergen-C is good) and getting a lot of rest. The body can do a lot of healing in a week.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

lurker extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by cannesdo
    I thought I'd be out for weeks, the slightest bump was excrutiating and bed was the sitting up was horrible but on day six I was able to ride again, some pretty rocky stuff, in Sedona. Had to be careful but...every day after that I was a little better with the sleeping pain and the two week mark was when I started to feel like the worst was behind me, especially where sitting up and sleeping was concerned. Make sure you're getting lots of minerals (Emergen-C is good) and getting a lot of rest. The body can do a lot of healing in a week.
    It's been 12 days now and I still have enough pain that I'm not able to do much riding at all. I've gone riding twice now, but it was painful to do, and I'm probably going out there before I should be. It seems to get a little better each night, but lying down to sleep hurts like hell and, by the time I wake up after sleeping all night, my ribs hurt all over again. I know it's getting better because things like sneezing, laughing, etc., hurt a little less than they did a week ago but, overall, it seems to be healing pretty slow. I guess that isn't uncommon for rib injuries, from what so many others in this thread have said.

I tried sleeping in a reclining chair last night, so I wasn't lying all the way flat, and it seemed to help a little.

This really blows. I bought some football rib pads, which basically just look like the lacrosse or hockey pads, and I'll definitely be wearing them when I start riding again. As bad as the pain is, the worst part of all of this is being off the bike, and I'd rather not deal with this particular injury again if something as simple as those rib pads could help prevent it.

Stump McBeefknuckle
    I joined the club on Friday but just got confirmation this afternoon.

I was coming around a right-hander trying to keep going fast enough to make it up a steep section, and I guess I started cranking too soon. I think the best way to describe what happened is to say I high-sided. I'm not sure if the pedal hit the ground and lifted the rear tire off the ground or if it actually got caught on something, but the next thing I knew I was flying off the side of the bike, through the air and right into an embankment. I wish I could have seen it because I arced through the air. It must have looked really cool. Then I landed on my side with my left arm trapped underneath.

My first thought was 'oh no, I hope I didn't rupture my brand new Camelbak!' then turned immediately to my inability to draw air into my left lung. I've never knocked the wind out of just one lung before. It was a very strange feeling, being able to breath but not really. I stood up and grunted for a while, which helped.

Went to the doctor the next day and got x-rays taken but their radiologist wasn't in. The doctor said it was probably just bruising and to take over-the-counter Ibuprofen. I called them back today and found out I fractured my 5th and 6th ribs, and they finally gave me a prescription for some decent painkillers. I'm supposed to take it easy for 4-6 weeks but I just got a new bike a month ago and...well...I don't think I can hold out that long.

mtbr member
    Guys, (e1eveN and AZ DesertRat),

just take it one day at a time. Think of it as a good time to catch up on some reading. Take long walks if you can and short rides on the road if you don't have pain. Soon enough you'll be back on the trails, riding better than you ever had.

Really, things could be a lot worst, take this time to count your blessings.

Get well soon guys...

j
    And a couple of fixies

lurker extraordinaire
    Thanks. That sucks about the other guy's crash. I know the feeling, and it does suck. It's tough to fight the temptation once you feel even slightly good enough to go ride! I admit, I've gone out a couple times in the last few days and I could probably stand to be off the bike for a while longer.

mtbr member
    Just adding to the thread - crashed hard in a DH race two days ago, went to the emergency for x-rays on the ribs and shoulder. Doc said nothing punctured, didn't look like anything was broken, but they are still waiting for the radiologist to give them a second opinion (I hate the waiting - and the doc will only call if there is "something of concern", whatever that means. I just want to know if I'm nursing broken ribs or bruised ribs.)

What really sucks is that I have a trip to Whistler planned in 2 weeks. Damn, I hope I'm able to ride by then. I think the shoulder will be OK (ice and ibuprofen numb the pain a lot, but no way I am lifting anything with that arm right now), but the ribs concern me - I can't even drive my car yet.
    "Bruises fade, chicks dig scars, but deraileurs are friggin expensive." - Karupshun

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    holy crap man, in a DH race, yeah, no doubt that was a crazy spill. can you offer some details on the crash? like what caused it, and how you landed?

hate to say it, but two weeks might be a bit optimistic to be out hittin' it hard again. I was still hurtin' pretty badly by week three, but that was a partial separation at the sternum, about four sore spots. pushups didn't hurt, but like a pull-over type maneuver did; kinda like how you support yourself in riding position.

last time I bruised ribs, it was still a little tender after two weeks, laughing, sneezing, coughing, and getting out of bed being the triggers. that was more of a nuisance though compared to what I was feeling this past go 'round, though. point is it doesn't take much to damage ribs, and even slight injuries can be painful, but when you really hurt yourself, recovery takes a while and there's nothing you can do about it really, aside from taking good care of yourself, eating well, and maybe staying active somehow.

sounds like you're got a real deal injury going on. hopefully nothing's broken, but you've most likely got some stressed connective tissue at the very least, which can prove painful just the same. I think I was out two months on my last crash, and even then, I still wasn't pain free. the worst part was remembering to take my time when I got back out there, balancing between being careful and getting over the fear of getting hurt again. the confidence comes back pretty quickly, though. just take it easy and let it happen, and get over any ego you might have. only had a few of really nasty ones, but I've found that it happens either when I'm being overly confident and careless over little dumb things, or if I've psyched myself out worrying about crashing on something big.

the ego gets bruised more than anything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgvb
    holy crap man, in a DH race, yeah, no doubt that was a crazy spill. can you offer some details on the crash? like what caused it, and how you landed?
    About 20 people saw the crash, but no one is really quite sure what happened. I was wearing full armour (661) which is a good thing, because they might have been surgically removing bike parts had I not been wearing it.

I was pinning it into a mild corner just before a downhill section - going maybe 30-35km/h. Then within a fraction of a second I am slamming head and shoulder first into the ground. Sat there for a while, first-aiders showed up and walked me off the course. I only noticed the ribs hurting a few minutes later - and they hurt a LOT. I figure that I slammed into the stem or the end of the bars with my chest. Wish someone would have got video of it, because I really want to know what happened (current theories are that I clipped a pedal on a wood feature next to the corner, or I washed out my rear tire, which hit the feature and bucked me over the bars.)
    "Bruises fade, chicks dig scars, but deraileurs are friggin expensive." - Karupshun

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    when I did the partial separation on the ribs, I slid more on my upper arm and shoulder. I tucked in my arm to roll it out of the fall, but my momentum was too forward for me to angle and roll, so I just sort of landed and slid on my tucked arm and shoulder before endo'ing onto my head a little. it was the pressure of my arm tucked against my ribcage that caused the separation pressure at the sternum. it was kinda like trying to flatten a bow or an arch; one of the anchor points has to move. it was just enough flex to stress the connective tissue.

where's yours hurt most?

did it go into slow motion for a sec , long enough for you to think, ah crap...

from the sound of it, you're lucky you didn't break your collarbone, or worse, your neck.
    good thing you were wearing all the gear, for sure.
    I was thinking some sort of chest protection might help prevent compression injuries.

achiever
    Here's my story from this past Sunday: Crashed on a "step" type move. Planted my front wheel and went over the bars landing square on a rock with my chest (mostly right side) I felt sonwthing snap and let out a god awful scream. Buddies helped me out of the woods and got the car closer thank goodness.

urns out I have 3 fractured ribs (789 I think) with mild displacement and a bruised lung. Had to spen 2 nights in the hospital to make sure I didn't collapse the lung or that it wouldn't fill with fluid.

Upon returning home today, I pedaled up and down the street for a minute or two. Don't picture myself back in the woods for at least a month, though

Red

mtbr member
    Update 8 days after my crash:

- Finally got word from the radiologist - no broken bones. Yay. I apparently have incredibly dense bones. Drink your milk kids. Still hurts like hell to sneeze or couch, but I can at least tie my own shoes now.

- Shoulder is separated, which is what is really keeping me off the bike for now. Got an EVS shoulder brace on order that should help out. Taping it for now.

11 days til Whistler...

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    had a serious high speed crash at Northstar last weekend.
    faceplanted into some roots, and took them straight to the left side of my chest.
    felt fine after the crash, and rode the next day even stronger than the day before, without any significant discomfort.

Got home, and on Monday the pain started setting in. It's now Friday, and I'm hurting.
    Breathing is fine, though a bit painful.. haven't really been taking any pain meds yet.
    From everyone else's experiences, sounds like I'm gonna need to take it easy for a few weeks until the bruising heals up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast