Thread: Bruised ribs

Pisgah-Pale-Alien

Bruised ribs

Its almost embarrassing to say this is the worst pain ever in the company of those far worse off than me in this forum. And I've had worse injuries myself from all my years riding and crashing, but this is beyond anything I've known. Pain meds, being motionless and shallow breathing are the only thing allowing me to even type right now.

Went flying yesterday when my crank hit a root while pedaling downhill on my Epic. It stopped my forward motion instantly and launched me OTB and into hard ground with embedded rock. I use to instictively tuck and roll but not this time. I splayed out in true superman form once airborn and hit the ground with my left elbow first, then my ribcage under my left side.

Trip to the ER revealed no breaks, thank goodness but the pain is unbelievable. I'm sure others here have experienced the same so shoot me some sympathy while my drug addled brain can still register and appreciate it.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Whatever you do, don't watch any Chappelle's' Show reruns until you heal.
    And don't even think about sneezing.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did that about 6 weeks ago.

Couple days of suck. Couple weeks of hard to breathe deep and hard to roll over in bed or reach.

Then mostly better except sore to the touch or very specific motions.

mtbr member
    Know how you feel, i had a big off on saturday, which has resulted in a slight fracture to the ribs and bruising which isnt even showing up on the outside, i thought it would be black an blue by now.
    Finding it seriously hard to breathe an get deep breaths in and already i want to get back on the bike.. hurry up an heel

eb5
    mtbr member
    Went through the same injury about a month ago... it sucks! Sneezing, laughing, moving side to side, all of it was painful.

mtbr member
    Ouch. I remember how hard it was to sneeze and how much it hurt to laugh. Squeezing or hugging a pillow firmly to your rib cage definitely helps.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Dam. Had a hard sneeze today and my rib is back to hurting.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Third day since crash, hurting like hell but slight improvements. Last night was the first I slept thru, albeit with pain meds but a gain non the less. I even walked the dog today. I hope to hike a little tomorrow, maybe return to the scene of the crime and have a look at the root that did this. Hopefully two more days of rest and increasing outtings, I'll be good for work on Monday.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Hate say it but I bruised mine in April and didn't feel 100% until beginning of August. Didn't stop me riding though but tough climbing when you can only inhale halfway....

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I'm 3 weeks post otb with fractured rib and mild costochondral separation. Had my first real yawn last night and god damn it felt so good.

One thing that did help was straping the site of the injury. Seemed to stop the rib popping out all the time especially when sleeping. Just don't strap around your chest as it stops you breathing properly and can increase risk of pneumonia. Also what helps with sleeping is getting some pillows behind and in front as they stop you rolling around.

Sleeping is still painfull but at least I can function during the day. On the plus side of this injury is I have learnt to isolate my core which helps when sitting up etc. and it has given my wife a source of entertainment watching me trying to do simple tasks

Your ribs will tell you when you have done too much too soon, as mine did the other night when I carried my 4 year old to bed without thinking. Ribs didn't like that.
    Last edited by brad72; 08-26-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Tomorrow marks two weeks since my crash. I'm off pain-meds and my mobilization is up to about 75% and I've been back on the bike a few times doing light-duty single-trac. Sleeping comfortably is still impossible and judging by a still sharp pain between the underside of my left shoulder blade and ribcage, Im guessing the xray failed to reveil a broken or cracked rib? Most of the pain has deminshed to dull but this one spot is still really, really sharp and is what keeps me up nights.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cracked, bruised, or broken ribs - most of the time the treatment is the same... There's really nothing to be done but wait it out... Really broken ribs - they go in and fix so it doesn't poke holes in organs.

You probably flexed a few of them, and tore the muscles in between them - Hurts like hell, heals really slowly...

mtbr member
    I had almost the exact same crash in February. Landed on my left side with my arm tucked under. I was in pain for a week, then the pain become 5-6x worse on the 8th day, I couldn't even lift my arm above my head. It's crazy how much such a "simple" injury can effect your life!! Took another 3 weeks before I could get back to riding (sub-freezing weather didn't help).

Glad to hear you are healing up though!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I'm 5 weeks out and pretty much pain free during the day but still get twinges if I twist or lean certain ways. At night I still get pain but I can finally lie on the bad side although it lets me know if I lie wrongly. Prick of an injury.

jbf
    mtbr member
    Yes- ribs suck. I bruised mine on July 3rd and it took 2 months before the discomfort allowed real mobility. Unfortunately a pretty spectacular road bike crash resulted in 2 broken ribs 3 weeks ago and has sidelined me again. I agree that it is hard to believe how painful ribs can be until you experiance it first hand. You do not appreciate the ability to move until you can't. And pray that you do not sneeze ...

mtbr member
    Agree with above. Ribs are an arsehole. Done mine a while ago thought I was ready to ride that week until getting dressed for work an twisted slightly putting my sock on of all things an it sidelined me for another 2 weeks till Saturday an I'm pretty good to go. But still does let you know when lying on your side. I'm just scared an twisting to much an hearing a pop again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Bruised mine 2 weeks ago and they still hurt like hell! Doesn't help that it's allergie season for me either. I know a sneeze is coming and all Incan think about for the seconds leading up to it is just how much this is going to hurt. Sleeping has gotten better, but getting up out of the bed still really sucks!

mtbr member
    Just under two months now I actually sneezed by accident an it never hurt. Sleeping on the side is about 85% still to be honest. But riding properly but cautiously as I think If I crash at the minute I'll be sidelined again. Coughing tho I tend to have to hold my chest then cough again haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I guess I got lucky, I did the same manuever the OP did the other night at about a 10mph pace. Left crank caught the root and tossed me over, bad was I was in clipped in shoes so it took the entire bike with me.

Buddy behind me said I did an entire sommersault and landed on my side with the bike landing on top of me. Luckily no major injuries this time.

Hope you get better and back to 100% soon OP.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Yep I'm much better, almost 100%. It's been seven weeks and I'm back to riding full-on and almost everything else. I still wake in the night if I lay on the bruised side just wrong or during pre-workout stretching I feel it. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, no problem. Pretty amazing recovery time for something as painful as the first week post-crash was. Anyone that experiences the same and reads this post, take comfort in the fact that the recovery is relatively short.

Thanks for all the responses and well-wishes.
    Pisgah Forest NC