Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bruised ribs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    sleeps with lots of pillows to give support. Makes it far more comfortable.
    Its kind of counter intuitive, but I found that sleeping on the bad side was more comfortable. It seemed like the pressure against the mattress locked down the bad rib and all the flexing that happens during breathing was happening on the unbroken side. It hurt a little to get into the position, but once settled it was pretty comfortable.

mtbr member
    Zyflamend....get it at the heath or herb store....works wonders....

Gnarly
    Sorry for the late post. A topical (OTC) analgesic like Voltaren provided some relief after I broke 2 ribs while DH . But it takes time. Stretching the intercostal muscles is good practice.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank you cyclelicious.
    I had missed my dr's voice mail and it turns out I have 3 fractures. Two in the #12 rib and one in #11. Pain is quite tolerable now, just sleeping is a pita. I have to sleep sitting upright against the side of sofa. Anything close to laying down, just puts pressure on the area and becomes too uncomfortable.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Glad I found this thread. I was a little embarrassed when the Dr. said 'bruised' ribs. I may not be Chuck Norris but I'm no whimp. A BRUISE!? are you kidding me!? Doesn't help that everyone I tell reacts as if I stubbed my toe.

I'm a week into my recovery. I guess I've got a few more before I can get on the bike. Did any of you guys find you could ease back into it with a lower impact activity? I'm going to need to do something in about a week or so. I can't bear the idea of sitting around wasting away. It seems running is completely out of the question. Working out in the gym probably also a bad idea. Perhaps a road ride or stationary bike (UGH)...?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "Bruised" is just a general term for soft tissue damage. I've had severely "bruised" three different times. Apparently the connective tissue around the ribs can get torn and also take a while to heal.

The pain was never excruciating but it certainly didn't heal fast. Sleeping was difficult for a couple months. The problem is that there's really no way to immobilize the area so it takes longer to heal than many other injuries. If looking for a silver lining, it's good to know that these injuries tend to heal completely with no long term effect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had a nice OTB 2 days ago and supermanned onto the trail. Was a pretty fast one too, bruised my left hand side ribs, but not terribly. Just enough that i cannot lean on them, and I'm bruised up and slow right now. I'm just glad they didnt break/fracture, because that was my first thought when i hit the ground (OUCH).

Anyways, good luck healing everyone. Aren't bicycles fun?! :P

mtbr member
    May 2005
    3 weeks into my recovery (3 fractured ribs in back) and starting to feel a lot better. The last few days switched off the oxycodone and now just take motrin. Started on stationary bike and that feels fine for 30 min, just can't get full breaths yet, lung feels like it cramps up. Last night was the first time I could sleep on both sides, so thankful for that. Dr said it could be another 4 weeks of healing, but I'm gonna try some "safe" trails this week. From what I read, you are OK doing "stuff" as long as it doesn't hurt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Be careful while healing.
    It is easy to re-injure ribs.
    I was pulling a grip off my bike and my ribs popped loose- hurt again for another 2 months.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Today is day 7 after my own OTB superman style flight right into a tree. Broke three on the left backside plus a heck of a whack on my left hip. My entire lower back is numb a week later.

Worst pain I've ever experienced for sure.

I live in fear of sneezing. Have sneezed twice and involuntarily coughed three times in the past week. Excruciating. The first time it happened I was totally unprepared and I think I blacked out for a second it hurt so bad. LOL!

Needless to say I haven't had a full night's sleep since. Can't hardly get into/out of bed and have been just cat napping in my recliner on a heat pad. No drugs other than Ibuprofin doesn't help. I did pop a few Vicodin on days 2 and 3 just to get through the worst of it, but that was it.

I'm antsy to get back on the bike asap but know better. It's going to be a minute before this thing heals. Besides, I can't get enough breath to do the ride justice anyway.

So everybody pray I don't sneeze anymore. Feeling the bones click in my back wasn't cool at all. LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2