mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Bruised rib or cracked?

Took a spill today on my side at Hawes, and afterwards the lower-right rib area was sore but I felt fine to complete the rest of the ride. It wasn't until just after the ride I realized certain movements hurt like hell - getting into my truck, bending down, and especially coughing. Sneezing is agony.

So, that said, I'm curious if anyone has experienced cracking a rib and still being able to complete their ride, or would it be completely obvious that its cracked when it happens?
    Niner Jet9, XT Brakes, X0 drivetrain. Currently taking donations for Carbon RIP9.

Competent User

Bruised rib or cracked?

I cracked a rib in November. It really doesn't feel any different t

Competent User

Bruised rib or cracked?

(Whoops) different than a bruised rib, but it took like 6 weeks to stop hurting, and a bruise would have been faster. I didn't bother going for an X-ray because there's not really any treatment. I was back riding after 2-3 weeks, but gingerly. I couldn't sleep on my right side for over a month.

Good luck. Don't push it more than you should.

Competent User

Bruised rib or cracked?

And I did complete that first ride back. Hurt a lot more the next day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Re: Bruised rib or cracked?

I fell also, last year as I couldnt get out of my clips intime, I new I had hurt my ribs, but wasnt that painful, finished ride. The real pain came a few days later, when laughing or sneezing etc was very painful, getting out of bed was excruciating. The doctors was booked out for a week or so. But finally made it in there. ( I didnt rush to the DR, as I know there is not much they can do. And $$$)
    My advice is if you are in pain a few dsys later, go to the doctor, at least they will tell you if its broken or not(maybe.). And also rest untill no more pain. I had broken ribs where the cartilidge meets the bone. Took nearly 2 months to get better, I could still feel the soft tissue bruising 6months later when in the gym. Rest was the key to recovery. But difficult when you are itching for a ride. Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    (Whoops) different than a bruised rib, but it took like 6 weeks to stop hurting, and a bruise would have been faster. I didn't bother going for an X-ray because there's not really any treatment. I was back riding after 2-3 weeks, but gingerly. I couldn't sleep on my right side for over a month.

I bruised my ribs 2x last year. My left side in March on my road bike and my right side in June on my mtn bike.At least I think I bruised my ribs.

I did some calling and reading on the interwebs and found out that for a bruise, bruised ribs or cracked ribs the treatment goes like this...

1) You eat it and yell some expletives..and your friends laugh at your epic dusting...
    2) You go to see doctor and pay through the ass
    (You pay through your ass 3x if you have to go to the ER)....
    3) The doctor moves you around, says "Yup, uh-huh and hmmm", alot, while asking questions....
    4) Docotor orders x ray....xray inconclusive...
    5) Doctor orders MRI...says ah ha, and uh huh a lot...
    5a) Even if you have insurance, assuming they will pay for an ER visit in the first place...( if a clinic is open in Botswana while you are in the ER, they say you should have gone there!) By this point, your ass is out of money and you have to get 4 or 5 friends to help pay through their asses as well as you through yours...
    6) The doctor tells you to go home and do a RICE type routine (Rest Ice Compression Elevation, except here it would be Immobilization. I know that spells RICI, and that sounds stupid so, RICE....for FREE..until pain goes away...

So I saved several buttloads of money x2 by doing the rest, ice and compression deal...and began stretching after about 3 weeks...oh and I rode everywhere while I healed too. I just slowed up a bit and was a little more cautious..

Yes it hurt like hell when I moved certain ways, so I did my best to not move those certain ways. See how smart I is?

Obviously if a bone was sticking out or I was coughing up my intestines I would have seen a doctor, but for a bad boo-boo, which is what a bruised or cracked rib is...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post

Same here. Hurt my ribs playing Lacrosse and basically assumed it was cracked vs bruised. Recovery time basically confirmed it. Not a lot of sense going to sit in emerge for god-knows how long to have a doctor say "yep, it's cracked" and prescribe me painkillers I'm not going to take. Let it heal, listen to your body. (and try not to laugh or sneeze! haha)
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I don't know, but when I fractured two ribs, I could not even talk it was so painfull. Even breathing hurt like hell. I fractured my collarbone and had an AC separation on the same crash and the fractured ribs hurt ten times worse than the other injuries. Maybe you guys have not experienced a fractured rib.

DFMBA.org

Bruised rib or cracked?

Good info on this thread. Fell today on a techy section and landed sideways with my elbow tucked into my side. Hurt like a ***** and I still had about 6 miles to go. Right now I'm taking 2 ibuprofen every 6 hrs but it still hurts to breathe deep, bend down, sit up, etc. I guess I'm off the bike for awhile. This same trail gave me a dislocated elbow two years ago, so I guess it hates me.

Edit: I'm now 5 weeks into the healing process and it's slowly getting better. I, too, had X-rays that came back negative (for fracture) but I'm wondering if the radiologist whiffed because they still hurt quite a bit. I'm assuming he/she did. I went and saw a sports-med MD only to have her tell me to alternate max doses of Aleve and ES Tylenol. That's about it. I've ridden a couple times since the incident and I always hurt the next day, but hey, it will eventually heal.
    Last edited by MTBeing; 07-26-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have bruised ribs, I have cracked ribs, I have fractured ribs (with a punctured lung). They all hurt the same. No treatment for the ribs other than rest (lung had to be reinflated on the puncture/collapse case). I finished the rides in all cases.

mtbr member
    You may have separated an intercostal muscle, as well. I went over once years ago and landed against a tree inverted and then dropped to the ground. I won't forget that one. Broke one and separated two intercostals.
    Hurt like the dickens when just existing, but not much can be done 'cept waiting.
    I feel for ya.
    :-)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Last night went down pretty hard. Pedal clipped a rock and sent me for a ride over the bars. Landed right on some rocks. Popped right back up. Had to take a min to catch my breath. Grabbed my bike hiked back up the hill and road home..picked up some pretty bad rock rash on my chest. laying, laughing, coughing, etc. Suck at the moment. Did pretty much the same thing a about 2 months ago. Was just Cruisin down a trail i have ridden probably 40 times in last 2 year.

Going to rest up and get back out there. I've put down about 450 miles this year so far and gone down hard twice pretty much the same exactly way. I don't feel like i was being careless or over my head either time I've crashed. I guess everyone runs out of talent at some point. Any of you guys running any chest elbow pads?

I feel like they are just going to be way too hot for mostly XC riding. Better than hot getting mangled and RICE'ing as ProfGumby described lol thank you for making me lol and hurt.

See ya in the dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Fractured a lower right side rib in my shifter-kart. First practice on a race day, I took one of the curbs to hard. I felt it a bit, but then went on to drive the second practice and two heats before I said something is not right. Hurt like hell getting in and out of bed and just. Went to the Dr, got X-ray reveling a fracture. Doesn't matter who you are ... 6-8 weeks to heal.

Although deep breathing feels like something you don't want to do, DO IT. It will prevent a buildup of fluids in your lungs which could turn into pneumonia.

G

mtbr member

Six weeks ago...

I bit it in Colorado at Phils World. I didn't realize at the time how banged up I was. I just thought I probably busted my shoulder somehow and knocked the wind out of myself. I hiked the 5 miles back to the trailhead as I couldn't put any weight on my left side. Two guys helped me push the bike the last 2 miles and load the bike on my truck. I drove 50 miles to the ER in Durango to get checked out. And yes, I do have health insurance.

They did an MRI on me and found the following:

1. Seven broken ribs on my left side... not cracked, as I've done that before, these were broken.
    2. Broken collarbone (in place not dislocated).
    3. Left lung was 30% collapsed.
    4. AC joint on my shoulder has a class 2 separation.
    5. I have not had my rotater cuff checked yet but I will get that checked out in a couple of weeks when I start PT.

I had a chest tube put in and an epideral put in my back. I was in the hospital 6 days. My wife bought a lazy boy recliner for me and I slept in that that 3 weeks. I HIGHLY recommend the lazy boy if you can afford it. ;-)

The biggest issue I have right now is a limited range of motion in my shoulder and my back gets really sore if I sit for long periods of time. I'm hoping that both issues can be addressed once I start physical therapy.

B/t/w nothing is done for broken or cracked ribs... you just deal with it.
    Last edited by Ob1Hoagie; 07-18-2013 at 12:51 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    does it ever go back go feeling normal after cracking or breaking? I just fractured my elbow n some ribs this past Sunday and I can feel the ribs with movement n deeper breaths.. lol just wanna see from other peoples experience if there's a chance i won't have to feel pressure from the ribs during deep breaths the rest of my life

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic84 View Post
    does it ever go back go feeling normal after cracking or breaking? I just fractured my elbow n some ribs this past Sunday and I can feel the ribs with movement n deeper breaths.. lol just wanna see from other peoples experience if there's a chance i won't have to feel pressure from the ribs during deep breaths the rest of my life
    I broke my ribs where the bone meets the cartildge, Took about 10months for the soft tissue damage to not be sore anymore, Would still hurt after 6months when I was in the gym. If you are only in the first week, unfortunately its going to get worse before it gets better, Try see a doctor if you can, at least they can tell you if its broken or not and you will know how to treat it. broken ribs are so painful. Getting out of bed is the worst. goodluck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ouchy, how can I post anything meaningful after this.... wish you well.
    Everybody on this thread probably has had similar and different injuries to the ribs.
    They all hurt like hell. If you do not cringe when you breathe in, you definitely do not have the same extent as others. Yes, all people have different pain thresholds. All the soft tissue damage that can happen vs broken or fractured can actually be much worse than a break. I had bruised ribs in high school. Today I had a bad wipeout and I am in same pain, think a stem or handlebar in the chest at 26MPH. People that say "oh I just keep riding", well, if your Achilles is not attached to your foot, you don't go walking, if you cant breathe, you cant ride.
    Yes, in time you will be just fine. Back to normal, whatever that is for you

Quote Originally Posted by Ob1Hoagie View Post
    I bit it in Colorado at Phils World. I didn't realize at the time how banged up I was. I just thought I probably busted my shoulder somehow and knocked the wind out of myself. I hiked the 5 miles back to the trailhead as I couldn't put any weight on my left side. Two guys helped me push the bike the last 2 miles and load the bike on my truck. I drove 50 miles to the ER in Durango to get checked out. And yes, I do have health insurance.

They did an MRI on me and found the following:

1. Seven broken ribs on my left side... not cracked, as I've done that before, these were broken.
    2. Broken collarbone (in place not dislocated).
    3. Left lung was 30% collapsed.
    4. AC joint on my shoulder has a class 2 separation.
    5. I have not had my rotater cuff checked yet but I will get that checked out in a couple of weeks when I start PT.

I had a chest tube put in and an epideral put in my back. I was in the hospital 6 days. My wife bought a lazy boy recliner for me and I slept in that that 3 weeks. I HIGHLY recommend the lazy boy if you can afford it. ;-)

The biggest issue I have right now is a limited range of motion in my shoulder and my back gets really sore if I sit for long periods of time. I'm hoping that both issues can be addressed once I start physical therapy.

B/t/w nothing is done for broken or cracked ribs... you just deal with it.

mtbr member
    I will add if you don't know hug /squeeze a pillow when sneezing it really helps!
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    I do love to read a thread with no stupid stuff in it.

Only addition, is that I bought a wedge pillow from the medical supplies place and slept on that - it makes sure you can't roll over and is terrible the first 2 or 3 nights, but you will get used to it. It also helps for shoulder injuries for the same reason.

Analgesia - important at night, especially so if you catch a cold, because the lack of deep breathing stops your chest from clearing, and you also tend to avoid coughing. You need to see a dr at the first sign of chest infection for serious pain relief .

Don't bother with an X-ray n less someone suspects pneumothorax .

Just for bragging rights - I break a rib nearly every year - last one was going down a rock garden behind the seat, and smashed chest into seat. Didn't even fall off, but didn't sleep well for over a month - so lame!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    I will add if you don't know hug /squeeze a pillow when sneezing it really helps!
    I was never told about this! I will try it, doubt I will carry a pillow around, but at home, I will keep one nearby. I need couple aleve just to breathe, and ow the sneeze or cough! Good luck all!

MTBR Member
    Jun 2012
    I can tell you from first hand experience that if you think you may have cracked or broken a rib go to the hospital. I took a bad spill on some concrete landed flush on my right side at high speed and it felt like I had been shot with a gun through the right side of my chest. Took a few minutes to breathe again and then I rode home, SLOWLY.

Went immediately to the hospital and they said 3 fractured ribs and a pneumo thorax, which a void or space in your chest cavity typically caused by partial deflation of your lung, in my case due to a fractured rib possibly piercing the lung. Had to stay in the hospital for 2 days because they wanted to make sure the void, which was only rated at 10%, didn't get any worse.

The real danger with ribs and lung injuries is that it can get much worse if not monitored, it could potentially lead to cardiac problems. With good health insurance from my wife's job I said "do what needs to be done". I'd feel awful stupid if I died from crashing on my bike.

Bottom line, you only get one chance to be safe, if you blow it you could be screwed.

That all happened 2 weeks ago, still dealing with pain in ribs and shoulder. Sleeping is fitful at best and sneezing is unbelievably painful.

I broke my wrist too, on the left side, must have happened when the bike hit the ground and my hand was still locked onto the grip. Scaphoid fracture, not a huge deal but surgery required to put a screw into the 2 pieces of bone.

I guess I've got my purple heart for biking I just wish it happened somewhere more adventurous, like in the actual mountains bombing down some awesome trail.

Maybe next time...

mtbr member
    Doorman above is correct even if you think you aren't hurt that bad definitely get it checked out as you might have a high tolerance for pain and could be seriously injured and not realize it.

When I cracked my ribs on the right side 15 years ago it healed back without any noticeable difference. After breaking 7 ribs on my left side 2.5 months ago things are healing well. The only thing that I notice is the ribs that were broken under my left shoulder blade tend to get sore after sitting or driving for long periods of time. I'm hoping that this goes away in another month or so ! : ) Btw I'm 50 years old....
    Last edited by Ob1Hoagie; 08-19-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: More info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooman View Post
    I can tell you from first hand experience that if you think you may have cracked or broken a rib go to the hospital. I took a bad spill on some concrete landed flush on my right side at high speed and it felt like I had been shot with a gun through the right side of my chest. Took a few minutes to breathe again and then I rode home, SLOWLY.

Went immediately to the hospital and they said 3 fractured ribs and a pneumo thorax, which a void or space in your chest cavity typically caused by partial deflation of your lung, in my case due to a fractured rib possibly piercing the lung. Had to stay in the hospital for 2 days because they wanted to make sure the void, which was only rated at 10%, didn't get any worse.

The real danger with ribs and lung injuries is that it can get much worse if not monitored, it could potentially lead to cardiac problems. With good health insurance from my wife's job I said "do what needs to be done". I'd feel awful stupid if I died from crashing on my bike.

Bottom line, you only get one chance to be safe, if you blow it you could be screwed.

That all happened 2 weeks ago, still dealing with pain in ribs and shoulder. Sleeping is fitful at best and sneezing is unbelievably painful.

I broke my wrist too, on the left side, must have happened when the bike hit the ground and my hand was still locked onto the grip. Scaphoid fracture, not a huge deal but surgery required to put a screw into the 2 pieces of bone.

I guess I've got my purple heart for biking I just wish it happened somewhere more adventurous, like in the actual mountains bombing down some awesome trail.

Maybe next time...
    Man, that's a big crash!

There is a vast difference between what most of us get with a single cracked rib, versus multiple displaced and pneumo thorax.

Having had friends suffer the full monty - the difference was stratospheric , and it was immediately obvious that not only hospital was required but ambulance. Annoying single undisplaced fractures are the sort you start to think you may have broken a rib a day or 2 later ie it presents as a minor injury in the first place.

My understanding as to why a lot of minor pneumothorax s are missed is because of concomitant injuries - ie patient has come in with multiple traumas, which take the focus, when the PT is symptomless.

BTW, the scaphoid is not minor, it's a major PITA, with relatively high failure rates of union. You only have 7 to 10 days to get the surgery done - so act now, and all the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ayden View Post
    Took a spill today on my side at Hawes, and afterwards the lower-right rib area was sore but I felt fine to complete the rest of the ride. It wasn't until just after the ride I realized certain movements hurt like hell - getting into my truck, bending down, and especially coughing. Sneezing is agony.

So, that said, I'm curious if anyone has experienced cracking a rib and still being able to complete their ride, or would it be completely obvious that its cracked when it happens?
    I broke 3 ribs and had to walk my bike out of the trail. did that 2 weeks ago now, tried riding last night and hill climbing was way too much for me. Couldn't breath properly etc. When i got x rayed, Doc said 4-6 weeks recovery, that being said, I think he's bang on with 6 weeks. Damn, worse part is were coming in to fall time here and it gets cooler at night and darker outside, hopefully it will be a nice hot fall!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bruised rib or cracked?

I've broken and bruised ribs in the past, most recent was a break and I didn't ride after I fell, too much pain hobbled back and was a mess for a week and then slowly got better, poor sleep for about 3 or 4 weeks and all good after 6 its been 7 weeks now and the pain is all gone and feel the same as I did pre-crash.

Was surprised how much I couldn't do with a broken rib even walking was painful, it floored me really and you are conscious to try and keep deep breathing to avoid fluid build up, I managed not to sneeze for over two weeks special the first time for sure