mtbr member

Bruised palm and a dislocated shoulder.

Well it was bound to happen at some point in time. I began riding again about 18 months ago. It had been 10 years or so since I had been MTBing prior to getting back into it. Despite never using these clipless pedal things before, I'd managed to successfully keep the rubber side down while riding pretty hard.... that ended 5 weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened, but the front wheel jackknifed and over the bars I went. I put the heisman stiff arm to the ground, popped my shoulder out of socket and bruised my palm pretty bad. My legs got pretty banged up too, because after the initial impact I hit a tree.. My legs looked like 10 day old bananas. At 6'5", 250 lbs, I consider myself fortunate that nothing was broken.

5 weeks later, my legs are fine. My shoulders have popped out of socket several times in my life, so I am used to that feeling. Rest and rehab have got it back to where it is almost good to go. I still have a slight impingement that I can feel at the back of the joint, but it will work itself out... or at least it has in the past. My palm is still killing me.. It is fine as long as I don't put pressure on it but if I lean on the counter or something, it hurts like hell and this is where the problem lies.

I have a physical fitness test coming up in July. One of the events is push-ups. Needless to say, this injury has completely derailed my training for the test. I haven't done a push-up in 5 weeks and don't feel like I am getting any closer to resuming my training. Has anyone every bruised the heel of their palm before?? How long did it take for you to start getting back to normal?
    Last edited by tha1000; 04-27-2007 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

5 weeks! Oh Man!

I just took a header today and my palm is killing me. Nothing else hurts, but riding back to my car was brutal. I've iced it (and will continue to do so). I was thinking I'd be out for a few days tops! Hopefully I didn't sustain the same type of damage as yourself (I'm on the lighter side...LOL). Pain after that amount of time is unusual. Did you have it x-rayed? A fracture to the scaphoid bone can be tricky to heal due to it's poor blood supply. Might want to ask your doctor about it. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I did not have it xray'd because i am an idiot and assumed it was a sprain and a bruise... but after reading up on the bone you are talking about, it is right in that area. I'll go have it checked out monday.

mtbr member
    after reading more... I'm really freakin out.... dead bones, fusing of the wrist, screws, 6 months in a cast... etc... and the symptoms are spot on. i got to the minor med tonight right as they were closing up... xrays first thing in the morning... i'm such an idiot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

An honest mistake

An honest mistake. Had a friend do the same thing. He recovered fully.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtb22
    An honest mistake. Had a friend do the same thing. He recovered fully.
    Good luck
    i'm seriously thankful that you posted up your suggestion. I'd have put off going to the doctor even longer if you hadn't, i'm kinda stubborn like that. I'm seeing the ortho tomorrow afternoon, I'll report back after the appt.