Thread: Broken Wrist

mtbr member
    May 2011

Broken Wrist

So I broke my wrist at the end of November and didn't realize it. I had thought it was just a sprain and didn't go to the doctor until the beginning of the year. I have had a cast on since then and just got it off today, only to be replaced by another one. Apparently it appears to be healing, but is taking its time doing it. I have this cast on until the end of next month.

I feel like this will start cutting into bike season. Anyone else have a similar experience with a broken wrist and loooong recovery time?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    eff that. and srry to hear it. i have a broken wrist now. will be 2 weeks tomorrow. it is in a removable thumb/spica splint at my insistence. I had a fractured and mildly displaced ankle last April and refused a cast then too. It was exactly 6 weeks between mtb rides then, but I was on the trainer week 4.

Since this wrist thing (broken right radial styloid bone-non-displaced) Ive been on the trainer most days and as soon as the doc says there is evidence of healing I will at least get back outside on the road bike.

Hope you mend quick. My next appt is 6 March and I really hope he says there is evidence of healing. Xrays are slow to show healing and 50 year olds heal slower anyway. With my ankle at week 3 or 4 even though he couldnt see evidence on xray when he could see how well I was tolerating weight bearing etc he cut me lose to do mild activity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Recovery time can be greatly shortened with low weight bearing exercises that strengthen the wrists

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What exactly did you break? "Wrist" covers a lot of territory.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett