mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Broken Tailbone. anyone else?

broke my damn tailbone snowboarding last weekend. I am pretty depressed. No riding for a while it looks like. Anyone else do this? how long before you were riding again. I can pedal around standing up with no more pain than walking, but can't sit in the saddle.....

Former Bike Wrench
    I actually broke and dislocated my tailbone as well as tore myself a new a-hole when I went OTB on a DH run and landed right on a knife edge rock! It literally tore my skin (not cut, there was no damage to my shorts) apart to the bone in my butt crack!

Needless to say I was off the bike for a couple months

mtbr member
    Fx my tailbone about 12 years ago. I still have to shuffle my backside around while driving or sitting in a movie. Don't really have any problems with it on the bike, maybe the way my seats positioned it doesn't hit the tailbone as much?? Idk, shitty/nagging injury none the less... I did recently figure out if I wear my padded shorts driving on long road trips it helps a lot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i brused my *ahem* a$$ cheek 2 weeks ago, the whole thing was black and blue, i have pictures but this is a family website.... i have been able to ride but its painfull if i sit long periods of time or if i pinch the butt cheeck the wrong way while sitting.

mtbr member
    I did something to my tailbone yesterday. Don't know if it is broken or just bruised or what but it hurts a lot. I am not sure of exactly what happened either but it was definitely less than spectacular.

I was standing up coming around a curve, leaning the bike. I think my right foot must have been in the six o'clock position. I think I was trying to back pedal to get my feet at 3 and 9 and I think my right crank struck a rock as I was back pedaling. The end result was the back end of my bike being whipped around in the opposite direction and the tip of the saddle striking me directly in my tailbone. I didn't come off the bike but it definitely was one hell of a surprise.

The worst part is that my job involves riding horses so I have no idea how I am going to do that.

mtbr member
    Not broke but bad bruise. I hit a table top to fast on a new to me DH section and my foot came off the pedal and my butt hit the topbar. Hope it heals up fast, I'm on vacation next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Heal-up, bro!