mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Broken ribs, bum thumb

My CX season is over. I'm bored as hell now. Hello....TV?

Anybody else break ribs? How long before you got back on the bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good timing... I just came back from Moab with a couple broken ribs and some torn rib cartilage. Good times for sure, I guess the positive thing is at least it's October and not April.

No feedback on recovery time, but I'm curious to hear what others with experience have to say.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There's another thread below similar to mine with good info. For the most part the biggest issue has been mental, I HATE not being able to ride, run etc.

Hope this helps - I went on an hour and half, easy road ride this afternoon and I felt okay. I obviously didn't mash it and stayed seated, the road I chose was silky smooth and I ran low pressure. Given it's only about a week and half since my "accident" I felt pretty damn good about how I felt after my ride. Plus, it's freaking amazing outside right now in Colorado.

It must be beautiful in Moab right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It was last weekend.... but now I'm back in Colorado and it's just as beautiful here. Sure doesn't suck having to come home to this.

I'm hoping to get on the bike next weekend to ride the dirt trails around town, but we'll see. I'd rather be more careful than more aggressive since ski season is just around the corner.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well doing anything as exciting a MOAB, I'm kind of the opposite situation. I'm pretty sure I broke my thumb and bruised my ribs yesterday sliding out on Fall foliage. I think I need to go see the doctor tomorrow. My thumb has swollen to double it's size. Good luck healing up fast.
    Last edited by FX4; 10-18-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Hockenberry View Post
    My CX season is over. I'm bored as hell now. Hello....TV?

Anybody else break ribs? How long before you got back on the bike?
    At least there are some decent shows on right now.

Keep it wrapped... enjoy the pain meds.

And whatever you do... don't laugh.