mtbr member

broken rib question

I'm pretty sure I ended up breaking a rib (seem to have a lot of the same problems other have posted who did end up having one) and was wondering if it is recommended to not sleep on my chest and/or that side (most of my pain is in front with some on my side). I do know you guys aren't doctors but I can't see spending the $ to have them tell me what I already know and to be able to ask a few questions

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    When my girlfriend broke her rib this summer the doctors didn't say anything about sleeping in any position. She found that sleeping on her left side, the non-injured side, was the most comfortable. Sleeping on her back was more painful and sleeping on the injured side was impossible.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    When my girlfriend broke her rib this summer the doctors didn't say anything about sleeping in any position. She found that sleeping on her left side, the non-injured side, was the most comfortable. Sleeping on her back was more painful and sleeping on the injured side was impossible.
    +1, except for me, I couldn't sleep on my good side because I had a broken wrist on that one.

Oh yeah, take deep breathes and use ice packs. That'll help a lot.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member

Numerous broken ribs

Having suffered at least five broken ribs one several different occasions, I can say the following:

1.) If it's freshly broken, cough once an hour for the next week or so (yeah, it's gonna hurt) to ensure you don't get pneumonia (a common complication of a broken rib).

2.) It will hurt like hell for several days and then it will start to feel better. Do not get amorous early on in the healing process unless you want to break it again.

3.) Sometime in the next six weeks, something will happen (either a laugh, or a cough while you're asleep, or rolling over on it the wrong way while you sleep) and you'll rebreak it (see #2 above).

4.) Don't be an idiot and ride your bike until at least five weeks have passed. If you rebreak it, you not only start the healing process from zero, but you run the risk of puncturing a lung and possibly dying. After four weeks you could probably ride on some very mellow terrain as long as you are certain you're not going to dump it.

5.) You'll have a strange lump where it healed that will remain for a long, long time. (the calcified lump from my first break lasted about two years before my body digested it and it turned back to a normal rib).

If you smoke, quit now, because there is definite evidence that smoking dramatically interferes with bone healing. If someone around you smokes, tell them to knock it off!

Take care of yourself and get better soon.

--Rev. B. Butt
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Paradoxically, after taking some pain medication, you would sleep on the side with the broken rib because the weight of your body splints the broken rib causing it to move less and therefore, causing less irritation to the nerves. Daily, the pain gradually subsides and after a year, you should notice little or no pain. Bones take a long time to heal. But you will be back on your bike in 4-6 weeks because you're addicted to cycling and you will release loads of endorphins when YOU start riding again.

Avoid anti-inflammatories (NSAID) as much as possible because they interfere with the bones ability to heal.