Professional Sociopath

Broken Pelvis and Shoulder

A good friend of mine got hit by a car three weeks ago and sustained a broken shoulder (front and back), broken ribs, collapsed lung, lacerated liver and an open book fracture of the pelvis. They have stabilized his collar bone with metalwork and pinned his pelvis back together but does anyone know what sort of time frame he's looking at before he gets back to some kind of normality? He's 50 so things aren't going to knit so quickly so when should he expect to begin physio? Thankfully he was wearing a lid so his head didn't suffer any really major trauma (the helmet is wrecked).
    Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

Edibles

wow

That sounds like 9 months at least.I had my hip replaced and that took me 4months,thats nothing compare to those injury! good luck to your friend.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by spongstick
    That sounds like 9 months at least.I had my hip replaced and that took me 4months,thats nothing compare to those injury! good luck to your friend.
    Hey sponge, we are the same age, tell me more about your hip replacement. Have you achieved complete function? etc.

I broke my hip 3 1/2 yrs ago.Repaired with pins (pic 1), riding in 3 months. Had pins pulled last december, slipped on the stairs 5 days later and broke my femur just below the hip,now my leg looks like the pic 2. Again, back on the bike in 4 months. Still working on getting full strenght back. It's the small stabilizing muscles that seem the hardest to regain.

It's possible a hip replacement is in my future. Bone seems strong so far. Looking for info.

Thanks,

JD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hey sic nick

How's your buddy doing? Any complications so far or just totally bummed about his accident? Tell him we're all rooting for his complete recovery.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey sic

Best guess on my part would be minimum 6 months before they get going on some minor physio and likely 12-18 months before he'll be is a position to ride again...sucks big time! Give your friend our best wishes for a speedy and complete recover and a big for wearing his helmet.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me