Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Broken Neck and Back

I thought I would share this with you all.
    Six weeks ago I was on a normal training ride getting ready for the "Otway Odessey" in Australia.
    I was riding a loop and had already rode this slight downhill section three times.
    What the fu&$ happened I don't really know, all I remember was the front wheel stopping and me going over the bars.
    Landed directly on top of my head, smashed the helmet and fractured 4 bones in my neck and back.
    The fractures are at C7, T3, T5 and T4 in what the doctors call a burst fracture where the bone on impact squashes and explodes outwards ( you can see the burst fraction in the pic).
    Three weeks in hospital, three months in a upper body cast and a neck brace.
    Best thing about this injury, I can still walk and I will be back on the bike in about six months
    and should expect full recovery in twelve months.
    Please always wear a helmet, my helmet, although destroyed saved my head from massive fractures.

Cheers

Peter
    broken back 2 small.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jesus man! I am sorry to hear about this but obviously am glad you will be fine in short order. Take it easy and heal up well. I'm sure you will have a lot more free time to up your post count on mtbr now

involuntary dismounter
    holy crap!

you have a long road ahead of you...stay positive and stay strong...and don't push too hard. happy healing...

good to hear you'll be making a full recovery!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Indeed, thank God for your relative good ending.

bi-winning
    I'm happy to hear that a full recovery is expected. It sounds like you have a good attitude, and in time, will be ripping up the trails again.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Thanks for the positive comments guys
    Every little bit of encouragement helps. Hopefully the post count can be boosted.
    Its true I have a lot of time on my hands, last year during summer I made some home made led's lights.
    I did post both the lights I made on the lighting forum.
    This year I plan to make some more lights but in the mr11 size.
    Hopefully this will pass the time away a bit quicker

Cheers
    Peter

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by peterh88
    I thought I would share this with you all.
    Six weeks ago I was on a normal training ride getting ready for the "Otway Odessey" in Australia....
    Thats a rough injury. Sorry man.

I broke my wrist the same way, dunno what stopped me but I was suddenly flyin'.

Take it easy with the recovery. Eventually you will get there and if you are still up for riding the trails will will be here for you too. Patience, you'll get there. My best to you and your family.

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Yikes! Gulp!

All of us that did headers (uh, me included) this weekend now feel a lot luckier than before reading your post man!

Anybody can see that you missed a major spinal cord injury there.

Thanks for sharing that sobering x-ray, and heal up quickly mate!

mtbr member
    Holy ****. Thats pretty hardcore. Thanks for sharing and get better soon.

I have a question; did you land on hard rocks with your head(helmet), and do you have more pics?

trail fairy
    Hey Pete

Im with ya man, hang in there, I know how ya probably feeling, ya sounding fairly positive so hopefully ya got allot a support around ya cause ya really need this at a time like this, can't be underestimated and its a situation that unless ya been here then ya probably don't realise just how scary or big a thing it is.
    Best thing I can say is just take each day as it comes and try not to think to far ahead, get lots of visitors if ya can handle that, I find it not what they do or bring which is fantatic and ya grateful for but just a call, visits, an email, being there is the biggest thing! So take it easy on yourself be optimistic which sounds like you are and just ride it out each day bro!

Ive spent the last 8 weeks at home laid up I did a similar thing landed on my head fractured and displaced my C2, they thought intially I had fracture some rib bones under my shoulder and my pelvis they just turned out to be badly brusied, I was told I should be dead (hang mans fracture) but hey thats the dramatic side, Im here, the hard part is getting to this point it was my biggest danger period a fall a trip something stupid and its lights out, so go easy, the drugs were a trip and thankfully Im off most em now uless the pain gets too much, I still have head pains.

Im in for more Xrays today so will see how mines nitted back together and healed, I'll be out for another 2months but with some rehab etc I hope I will be riding and back working by then or certainley putting my plans into action, atleast we have allot of time to arrange things!

Ya done some hard yards so keep ya freinds and family close, hopefully they doing that for ya and ya Homies here will keep pulling for ya too, the mtb communtiy have been fantastic and really make a difference so good on ya for sharing and just ride through each day Pete
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    Healing vibes to you Peter, may you heal up strong and fast.....

Dont loose sight of that first ride in the coming many months....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

banned
    Thanks for posting about this, a fear which is in the back of all our minds.

What is the current level of pain and long term pain prospect?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Peter

Good luck with the rehab.
    I fractured and dislocated C3, 8 years ago this April while snowboarding. The fracture was not the bad part but the dislocation was.
    I now have this beautiful scar down the back of my neck which I only get to see when I get my hair cut!!!
    Take your time and look for a great physio to start your rehab asap. You are going to be pretty stiff when the cast/brace comes off. There is no rush to get back to everyday life as it will only hinder you later. Take your time and hopefully you will be back to normal before you know it.
    The only thing that I still have problems with 8 years later is that I lose a little bit of rotation (looking over both shoulders). I go back to my physio for one treatment and I am good for another few months unless a get crunched in a game (back playing rugby).
    Stay positive and surround yourself with your funniest friends and laugh!
    Eric

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Wow...More healing vibes going your way. Take your time with the recovery and heal up. It's probably a good thing that you don't remember the take down. I kept having flashes of my crash for months after I returned; frame failure with the headtube separating from the top tube and down tube resulting in a fractured c6 and torn disc. I rushed the pt and still have difficulties looking up and looking backward to check on the rest of the group, oh well its good enough now.

Staying positive really helps and once I was able to drive I ran shuttle and bbq duty to get all those good mtb vibes from my buddies. Everyone loves a free ride to the top.
    Heal up

mtbr member
    Get well- get riding- and thanks for the reminder to always wear a helmet. Lord knows what would have happened if it hadn't been there to absorb the initial shock.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    Holy ****. Thats pretty hardcore. Thanks for sharing and get better soon.

I have a question; did you land on hard rocks with your head(helmet), and do you have more pics?
    Not sure what I landed on, my mate whom I was riding with has no idea either, he still hasn't been on his bike since it happened. (3rd January 08) Shook him up heaps just witnessing the fall and the recovery by ambulance and State Emergency Service.
    As for pain, the drugs I have are pretty good and keep the pain levels very low, but I have started to limit the use of the opiate based drugs now.
    All things considered I am doing ok.
    I have a fantastic group of mates and the support from my family has been fantastic.
    Here are some more x-rays and some MRI images to show how much damage has been done and just how close I was to never walking again.
    In time I will be fully healed and back on the bike.

Cheers
    Petermri chest.JPG

xray spine.JPG

mri spine.JPG

3 "fiddy" for short
    Peter,

Best wishes and get well soon. Well, as soon as you are ready! Sorry to hear about this accident, and all the others for that matter. TA has been going through the same thing recently and his attitude has probably helped tremendously. Keep positive, and good luck.

BTW, after hearing about the large number of neck injuries recently, I just bought a Leatt neck brace. Those of you riding with full face helmets and doing DH, DJ, DS, FR, etc, may want to consider one to provide a little more security. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    And I thought it sucked when I broke my leg.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Hi be350ka,
    What does this neck brace look like, would it stop a compression fracture like mine from happening again, or even minimize the risk of it happening again would be good for my wife to know

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hey, just Google "Leatt" and you'll see

Hi be350ka,
    What does this neck brace look like, would it stop a compression fracture like mine from happening again, or even minimize the risk of it happening again would be good for my wife to know
    It would appear it attempts to prevent your head from going violently right or left or backwards. Dunno about compression. I endoed over a log once and landed directly on my head, no hands. The CRACK!! I heard fortunately was my helmet splitting and not my neck. Good luck on your recovery.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Good luck with everything and I hope your recovery is quick and painless.

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Thank God you will recover. Positive thoughts your way, mate.

mtbr member
    Wow, horrific injury. As many others have said take your time with the recovery and good luck to ya.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Hi be350ka,
    Here is what it looks like. At first glance it looks very simple, but in actuality it is a very complex little device. Check out http://www.leatt-brace.com. Its more for use with a full face helmet, but after a spill like yours it might be a minor inconvenience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast