mtbr member
    Mar 2012

broken left shoulder an broken right wrist. surgery tomorrow.. Yay me..j

Broke my humorous at the ball and split the ball of the shoulder and I broke my right wrist.. Surgery tomorrow. Wrist will be an easy thing.. but who here has wrecked their shoulder like I did? What's the prognoses?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Any Ligament Damage?

Warrior's Society
    If there was no soft tissue damage, and just bone.....the only thing that really sucks is getting the range of motion and strength back. It is amazing how quick it all goes away when you arm is immobilized.

Don't skimp on the PT.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jarwes View Post

Broke my humorous at the ball and split the ball of the shoulder and I broke my right wrist.. Surgery tomorrow. Wrist will be an easy thing.. but who here has wrecked their shoulder like I did? What's the prognoses?
    Dude, how did the surgery go? I did the exact thing you Did 5 weeks ago, I'm curious to are how you're doing..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fooldall1 View Post
    Dude, how did the surgery go? I did the exact thing you Did 5 weeks ago, I'm curious to are how you're doing..
    I had surgery Friday. Doctor saved the ball.. 1 plate and 7 or 8 screws, Hurts like a mother... From what my doctor tells me he's happy with the results.. I can gently move my arm around.. He says my fitness level going in had a lot to do with it. How are you doing 5 weeks after?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

... and if we just ...

I had surgery Friday. Doctor saved the ball.. 1 plate and 7 or 8 screws, Hurts like a mother... From what my doctor tells me he's happy with the results.. I can gently move my arm around.. He says my fitness level going in had a lot to do with it. How are you doing 5 weeks after?
    Same thing for me, 1 Plate, long one ( I broke the proximal humerus) and 12 screws. Yes, it hurt like a mother. The big problem is sleeping..I hope you have a recliner.it's going to be your best friend. Like you, I could gently move my arm around..not much mind you, but some. The pain wanes away week by week, but still hurts. For now, use ice, it will help with the bruising and swelling. Stay on your pain meds, and do the pendulum as the doctor recommends..but don't over do it, bro. Trust me, the pain goes away. Slowly, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. How's your scar? Sure me, I still can't lift my arm straight out in front of me, but I hear that comes after the bones heal.slow...I want to get back on my bike!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fooldall1 View Post
    Same thing for me, 1 Plate, long one ( I broke the proximal humerus) and 12 screws. Yes, it hurt like a mother. The big problem is sleeping..I hope you have a recliner.it's going to be your best friend. Like you, I could gently move my arm around..not much mind you, but some. The pain wanes away week by week, but still hurts. For now, use ice, it will help with the bruising and swelling. Stay on your pain meds, and do the pendulum as the doctor recommends..but don't over do it, bro. Trust me, the pain goes away. Slowly, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. How's your scar? Sure me, I still can't lift my arm straight out in front of me, but I hear that comes after the bones heal.slow...I want to get back on my bike!!

Thanks for input. I just started doing the pendulum.. I thought id be tough and try to reduce my meds. I'm an idiot.. My incision is about 10 inches long... Right now I don't see the light at the end. Its too new. Trying to stay positive but I don't even want to think about riding right now..

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for input. I just started doing the pendulum.. I thought id be tough and try to reduce my meds. I'm an idiot.. My incision is about 10 inches long... Right now I don't see the light at the end. Its too new. Trying to stay positive but I don't even want to think about riding right now..
    I go into the garage and out my hands on my bike every day. :-) yup, my scar is about 10 inches also. It's been 5 weeks, and I still take Tylenol 3 every,6 hours.. no one realized how much, and how long, this hurts! My scar it's healing well. Hey, man..pm me and I'll be here for you for support..I'll shoot you my cell if you get down about it..

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hang in there man. Try to stay positive. Don't beat yourself up about things. You'll feel a lot better soon.

I have had a engaging hip issue for the past 4 months. Has kept me off the bike since. It seems riding is something that really aggravates it.

I've been quite depressed by the length of this set back. My job requires me to run around a golf course (caddy, usually for 4 guys riding in carts) so resting enough to heal is tough. Already missed about 5 weeks of work attempting to heal, but it's still not right.

Anyway, just wanted to say I can relate to the frustration of being out of the game. I didn't want to read anything about riding for a while because I was so bummed not to be able to ride my bike. Decided to go on here today and went straight to riders down, injuries.

Read a couple of threads and I'm encouraged by what I've read. My problem seems small compared to what some of you are dealing with. I bet you guys won't be off your bikes for 5 months like I was though.

Pulling for you guys to make a full recovery. Stay strong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturawoot View Post
    Hang in there man. Try to stay positive. Don't beat yourself up about things. You'll feel a lot better soon.

I have had a engaging hip issue for the past 4 months. Has kept me off the bike since. It seems riding is something that really aggravates it.

I've been quite depressed by the length of this set back. My job requires me to run around a golf course (caddy, usually for 4 guys riding in carts) so resting enough to heal is tough. Already missed about 5 weeks of work attempting to heal, but it's still not right.

Anyway, just wanted to say I can relate to the frustration of being out of the game. I didn't want to read anything about riding for a while because I was so bummed not to be able to ride my bike. Decided to go on here today and went straight to riders down, injuries.

Read a couple of threads and I'm encouraged by what I've read. My problem seems small compared to what some of you are dealing with. I bet you guys won't be off your bikes for 5 months like I was though.

Pulling for you guys to make a full recovery. Stay strong.

Thanks, Man!!! Hope you're better when you read this!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This must be going around. I broke mine Saturday. Split the ball into 3 pieces. Got the prognosis from the docs today. One doc says to repair, another says to replace. I'm not sold on either procedure, but I have to make up my mind quick as I will need surgery next week.

May I ask how old you are? I'm 43, which is still considered young for this surgery. But in a practice of almost 20 docs, they were pretty much split on which procedure was best. Good thing was that everyone knew who I was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey.. Just checked this thread. I am 39. They were split on whether repairing or replacing. They elected to repair. I am 5 weeks out now and it still hurts.. Very limited range of motion but I just started PT. I split mine in 3 pieces too.. Let us know what the doctor did for you... Now that they repaired mine I do run the risk of avascular necrosis. I need to be careful and not over do it. I am prolly 6 months before I can mountain bike again.. Let me know how you're doing.. Take care.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had surgery on Thursday and opted for the repair, which they were able to do. I will also run the risk of necrosis. But a family friend who is a rehab doctor, told me it's always best to have your own bones/muscles/etc to start out with. If/when necrosis develops, I'll need a replacement. But if i started with the replacement, I'd need surgery again at a later point to repair the socket. Seemed like 6 of 1, half dozen of another.

I have my post-op appointment in 2 weeks and hopefully I'll be able to start rehab soon after. At least today, my pain level is lower than it was before surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Glad to hear your on the mend. I have had 1 PT session so far. My next is tomorrow. My doctor felt the same way regarding repairing what I have rather than replacing it now. I will do everything I can to make sure this is the only surgery I have. As was mentioned to me, do the pendulum exercises but don't over do it. Its gonna be very passive PT for a while.. keep the rest of you strong while you're in PT..